color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 7:42:53 PM
Author: robinj
Back to the norweigian emerald parure;

I found this picture that shows that already the crown princess Märtha had the earrings.

Here is tiny photo of Princess Ingeborg of Sweden (nee Denmark) wearing the tiara with the pearshaped emeralds. Some say that her daughter Martha ruined the tiara and it's balance by removing the two stones. Personally I prefer the current form, as the previous had too many emeralds on top.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to click ''Upload'', sorry.
Here is the photo:

e_m_e_r_a_l_d_4.jpg

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 7:31:01 AM
Author: prince.of.preslav
A bit off topic, but someone should remind Mette-Marit that that The Vifte is also a tiara. This woman ,a future Queen, really needs a new headdress. And last but not least - next time you wear a tiara, please wear your hair up (remark to all princesses). It looks much more classy!

The Crown Princess and the amethyst parure:

Good point (about the hair)
2.gif
But, imo, it still looks beautiful on MM. She''s such a modern princess, I believe she can wear this particular tiara in the future, too.

I guess it''s just a matter of personal taste
1.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Christina, it''s indeed a matter of good taste and somehow the hairdo looks good with the ametysts, but look at Queen Silvia''s hair at formal occassions - a real work of art.

Here is an example of Queen Silvia and The Amethyst parure in 1986:

Silvia1986hairdo.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
What do you think The Queen and the princesses will wear on 10 December? I''d like to see some emerals on the Queen or why not the Cameo parure, last seen two years ago, I think. Then maybe the amethysts for Victoria or even Madeleine.

Another example of elaborate and regal hairdo with real pearls in her hair:

1hth.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
How were the Duke and Duchess of Windsor able to afford all of those jewels that they collected? Where did their money come from? Were they still considered to be royalty despite their situation?

Lori

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 8:08:29 PM
Author: loriken214
How were the Duke and Duchess of Windsor able to afford all of those jewels that they collected? Where did their money come from? Were they still considered to be royalty despite their situation?

Lori

From What I have read the Duke of Windsor received a large annual allowance from his brother George VI and I presume this was continued by QE. He was able to buy goods through the British Embassy in Paris Duty Free which probably kept their cost of living down considerably. He also had the revenue from the Duchy of Cornwall he amassed as Prince of Wales and the sale of Balmoral and Sandringham to George VI at an inflated price also topped up his bank balance. Also, I read he dabbled in illegal currency trading and I am sure he had other investments from when he was Prince of Wales and KIng.

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 7:52:20 AM

I found this picture that shows that already the crown princess Märtha had the earrings.

Here is tiny photo of Princess Ingeborg of Sweden (nee Denmark) wearing the tiara with the pearshaped emeralds. Some say that her daughter Martha ruined the tiara and it''s balance by removing the two stones. Personally I prefer the current form, as the previous had too many emeralds on top.
The word "ruined" might be a bit harsh, but I must say that I think that the emerald parure looks very geometric (in a not an altogether good way) nowadays, even though I really do understand your remark about "too many emeralds on top".....

robinj

Shiny_Rock
whatever we see on the princesses (or the Queen) will probably NOT be their bridal tiaras next year.... If Victoria is not wearing the Baden Fringe on the 10th of december, it will be my guess that she will wear that on her wedding day....
I think that Silvia might be wearing the Leuchtenberg parure, since it was two years ago since... or maybe the cameo parure. An outsider might be the ruby tiara, never before worn at Nobel. I hope it will not be the Queen Sophias nine prong tiara.
Madeleine is very hard to predict but I''d say the Carl XVI Gustaf fringe - again. (and she might very well be wearing that on her wedding day aswell.)

These are my guesses, but I''m always happy when I''m proven wrong. :)

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 8:56:11 PM
Author: neil31uk

Date: 12/6/2009 8:08:29 PM
Author: loriken214

Lori

From What I have read the Duke of Windsor received a large annual allowance from his brother George VI and I presume this was continued by QE. He was able to buy goods through the British Embassy in Paris Duty Free which probably kept their cost of living down considerably. He also had the revenue from the Duchy of Cornwall he amassed as Prince of Wales and the sale of Balmoral and Sandringham to George VI at an inflated price also topped up his bank balance. Also, I read he dabbled in illegal currency trading and I am sure he had other investments from when he was Prince of Wales and KIng.
Thank you Neil!
35.gif
Very interesting story....

Lori

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 6:32:26 PM
Christina, it''s indeed a matter of good taste and somehow the hairdo looks good with the ametysts, but look at Queen Silvia''s hair at formal occassions - a real work of art.

Here is an example of Queen Silvia and The Amethyst parure in 1986:

I love this parure and amethyst is general. Its a shame the UK Royal Family rarely seem to wear amethyst.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 9:03:30 PM
Date: 12/6/2009 7:52:20 AM

Here is tiny photo of Princess Ingeborg of Sweden (nee Denmark) wearing the tiara with the pearshaped emeralds. Some say that her daughter Martha ruined the tiara and it''s balance by removing the two stones. Personally I prefer the current form, as the previous had too many emeralds on top.

The word ''ruined'' might be a bit harsh, but I must say that I think that the emerald parure looks very geometric (in a not an altogether good way) nowadays, even though I really do understand your remark about ''too many emeralds on top''.....

Personally I like the tiara with those Emeralds removed, it looked almost top-heavey with a dark band around the top before. Its a stunning piece either way,does anyone know where int he world the emeralds were mined?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 9:21:57 PM
whatever we see on the princesses (or the Queen) will probably NOT be their bridal tiaras next year.... If Victoria....

These are my guesses, but I'm always happy when I'm proven wrong. :)

Hi Robin,

Thanks for sharing your guesses.

I also belive that what we'll not see on 10th is likely to be seen at the wedding(s) next year. I'd really like to see Victoria and Madeleine in the Cameo tiara on ther weddings, so I hope they'll chose the Fringe (it'd also make a nice wedding tiara) and Button tiaras at the Nobel Prize Galas. As to the Queen...well...maybe she'd wear the sapphires at the wedding of The Crown Princess. The Ruby tiara would be a good choice for the Nobel gala, imo.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 11:38:46 AM
Author: neil31uk
Date: 12/6/2009 6:32:26 PM

I love this parure and amethyst is general. Its a shame the UK Royal Family rarely seem to wear amethyst.

I've said it before - along with emeralds amethysts are my favourite gem. I must admit that I really enjoy seing the SRF in these stones (especially The Queen).
As to the Windsors and amethysts, well, they've never worn them a lot, except when in mourning. I've seen Camilla with a necklace and earrings, though. And to be honest I've never really liked Victoria, Duchess of Kent's demi-parure (exept of the brooch). I much prefer Queen Mary's parure, but unfortunately it's lost now.

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

Why is Queen Mary''s amethyst parure lost? was it sold or just hidden in the vaults? Thanks.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 8:06:26 PM
Author: laurensmama
Bobby,

Why is Queen Mary's amethyst parure lost? was it sold or just hidden in the vaults? Thanks.

Yes, laurensmama, it was sold. The Queen Mother didn't like amethysts and didn't wear this stone in her later life as Queen (she had a long amethyst necklace from QA, I think). HM never wore Queen Mary's gift (at least in public) and later sold it. I've also read that Queen Elizabeth parted with the parure because of the purchase of The Castle of Mey.
Anna Wintour, the US editor of Vogue, wore the necklace in a vary unattractive way.
The jewels were auctioned again some time ago.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Elizabeth II arrives for the Royal Variety performance at the Opera House in Blackpool. The Queen is again wearing her mother''s earrings and the Festoon necklace, a diamond watch and... a diamond bracelet that was given to The Princess of Wales!

610716t7tx.jpg

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 10:31:44 AM
Author: marion
Princess Letizia Bulgari ring and bracelets close-up

http://img341.imageshack.us/i/leti1.jpg/

CP Letizia owns very beautiful jewels indeed. I liked the ring, although I can''t see it very clearly. From which collection is it? The "Parentesi" maybe?

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
does anyone have a better picture or one of the POW wearing the bracelet the Queen is wearing to the theatre? What can you tell me/us about the bracelet?

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 4:46:18 AM
Elizabeth II arrives for the Royal Variety performance at the Opera House in Blackpool. The Queen is again wearing her mother''s earrings and the Festoon necklace, a diamond watch and... a diamond bracelet that was given to The Princess of Wales!

What a wonderful picture of the Queen
1.gif
We don''t get to see her in black often, because it''s generally reserved for Court mourning. She does look great in the color, I must say.

I recognized the bracelet, and I consulted my copy of The Queen''s Jewels, and Leslie Field claims that the bracelet belongs to HM, and that the PoW borrowed the bracelet on a few occasions, but it was never officially "hers." I do have some pictures from the book (but no access to the scanner, as a blizzard is currently raging across the midwest and preventing me from accessing the one on campus), and it shows the PoW wearing it for the first time in 1983.

I believe the PoW did wear it on several occasions, because it''s definitely associated with her. Perhaps the Queen felt it was time to bring it out again...oh how I hope we''ll see some more old pieces!
31.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I hate when I''m wrong! I must say that I didn''t think a lot before posting this. I just knew that Diana has worn the bracelet and that I originaly belonged to The Queen. Hence I assumed that it was a present from her mother-in-law. Next time I should think before posting anything.
Honestly, this bracelet didn''t get out of my mind the whole day.

Shadowed_rain, I hope the blizzard dosn''t cause many problems and that I''ll be soon over. I was surprised that HM''s wearing black, but I must agree with you that she looks very good. Can''t wait to see The PoW wearing the bracelet.

Laurensmama, here is the bracelet. As far as I know, it was commissioned by Elizabeth II from Garrards in 1982. I think it''s very elegant and I''m glad that HM wore it again.

Bobby

queen_diana_sbracelet.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
On 8th December The Queen was at Mansion House to see a performance by the London Symphony Orchestra and to present The Queen''s Medal for Music to Sir Colin Davis. She wore a pair of new to me earrings. I think the center stone might be either a ruby or a pink topaz. The Queen also wore a bracelet with matching stones (a demi parure?).

610fd.bmx.jpg

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
new postcards

ztdkky.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Josefine! I never belived that I''d say this, but the Six button tiara looks great on someone other than Princess Lilian. Do you know the story of the bacelet HRH wears? I think her mother has worn it too. It''s also nice to see the diamonds in her hair rearranged now.

What''s your prediction for tomorrow?

Bobby

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 5:23:57 PM
Thanks Josefine! I never belived that I''d say this, but the Six button tiara looks great on someone other than Princess Lilian. Do you know the story of the bacelet HRH wears? I think her mother has worn it too. It''s also nice to see the diamonds in her hair rearranged now.

What''s your prediction for tomorrow?

Bobby
Its great to see new official photos
and i hope there still be new after the wedding togather with daniel and by her self.

i thought the bracelet looked different then the one boris posted but baxter said also ot was the same

victoriabracelt.JPG

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 3:21:28 PM
Author: Josefine
also new

What a wonderful picture. I love the dress and I love the bracelet.
I don''t love the tiara, but it acually looks good this time.
1.gif

robinj

Shiny_Rock
And the answer is;

HM Queen Silvia is wearing Queen Sophias nine prong tiara, pearl drop earrings, pearl necklace and the diamond rose brooch.
HRH Crown Princess Victoria is wearing the six button tiara, the amethyst necklace, brooch and earrings
HRH Princess Madeleine is wearing the four button tiara and the Carl XVI Gustaf fringe as necklace.
The kings sister, Princess Christina, is wearing the cut steel tiara.

Pictures will come. :)

robinj

Shiny_Rock
My favourite this year like almost every year was Crown Princess Victoria, wearing the six button tiara, the amethyst necklace (wich really are two bracelets), earrings and brooch.

HKHVNobel09a.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results