shape
carat
color
clarity

Rovals and setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I just won a 5mm LOGR with a pretty open setting. I have a 6x5mm roval that I''d love to set in it...do you guys think that it will fit? Or should I customize the head? Would it be easier to set the roval N/S or E/W?

I''ve read in other threads that its sometimes better to have a slightly larger stone that the LOGR mm size listed, but I''m sure its a case by case thing.

I''d love any advice or thoughts!

102a.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m definitely not an expert but I think this will be ok and you could set it either N/S or E/W. The only thing I would say is wait until you get the setting (I wouldn''t bother customising) and then see which way suits your gemstone with the setting. The only issue with N/S is that it will leave the N and S tips slightly exposed.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
LovingDiamonds is correct in that this will work fine and you can set it however you''d like without problem. With a four prong setting and a roval cut it can be a small challenge to get the stone perfectly aligned, just because there''s so little difference between the length and width and the darn things just love to turn a bit when you''re setting them.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you both Michael E and LovingDiamonds!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There''s some variation in head sizes between manufacturers but generally 1 mm. difference in a prong setting is nothing to worry about. What may be of more concern is the depth of the stone and the cutting style. Sometimes stones with deeper or "bulgy" pavilions won''t sit down deep enough for proper setting. If you run into that problem the existing head can probably be replaced with a head of the right size. It''s a simple bench job.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Richard! That is definitely something I need to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results