shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Modified Brilliant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Hi y''all! *waves*

This is my first post on the forum and first of all I want to say that you guys rock!
36.gif
I have been lurking around here for a while
31.gif
and I promise you that you all have been a wealth of information for an Aussie!

In the US it seems there is a lot of competition and you have so many choices. In Oz there''s not much thought about buying a diamond/engagement ring - you go into a shop and buy it! Buying from the internet!!!
23.gif
NO WAY!!! Well, not for this little black duck - I''ve always wanted to buy a diamond and have it custom made. Lucky for me my fiance knew this! He proposed with a promise ring and we''ve been on the hunt for a lovely sparkler!

We are buying our diamond from www.diamondexchange.com.au and I saw two beautiful diamonds yesterday. I was given a copy of the Certificates and I''ve picked out my favourite - a round Hearts & Arrows
30.gif

Now for my question - on the GIA Diamond Dossier it states the cut as being a Round Modified Brilliant. What''s this? I have done a search and I can''t find any info - other than it might be an Eighternity, Solasfera or the like. But how am I to know? Is a Hearts & Arrows classified as round modified brilliant with GIA? I have requested the Sarin report and will have that shortly. Will the Sarin report shed any light?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey mi
35.gif
welcome to ps! congratulations on your purchase. i am looking forward to hearing more about it.
and seeing some pics!
20.gif

the sarin will be helpful, as well as the h&a image. ask to have both sent to you.
2.gif

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Thanks belle
9.gif

When I viewed the diamonds I had a look through a little scope - is that the h&a image you''re talking about? But just a photo of what I saw? It had gorgeous formed arrows and then when flipped over had perfect formed hearts.

I haven''t actually bought the diamond yet - it is on hold for me and we''ll make the purchase once we have the Sarin report.

Even though I know that it''s a lovely stone - I would still like to know the ins and outs of it and plug the info in the HCA!

Why is it so hard for GIA to show crown and pavillion angles!!!
27.gif

I''ll make sure I''ll post some pics when we buy it
18.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
cool mi! the number of arrows would help to understand which cut of diamond the stone is. let us know when you get the sarin so we can see what it scores on the hca
36.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like the stone is a keeper
36.gif

Typical H&A are classified as just "round brilliant" on GIA, but Eighternity and Solasfera are both "round modified brilliant." Can't wait to hear more about your stone!

Try comparing the arrows you saw to these: Solasfera and Eighternity

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Hello again everyone :D

I now have the Sarin report on our lovely sparkly diamond
26.gif

Here''s all the info I can give you...

GIA Diamond Dossier

Laser inscription...
Round Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 5.44 - 5.47 x 3.32 mm
Carat Weight: 0.60
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: SI2
Proportions:
Depth: 60.9 %
Table: 57 %
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Clarity Characteristics: Cloud, Feather, Crystal

Sarin Report

Hopefully I can attach this...

She scores a 1.3 on the HCA
30.gif
(my eyes told me this too!)

Now should this tell me why GIA has graded it as "Round Modified Brilliant"?

P.S The price on this stone is approx A$2,280 or approx US$1685.

I''d love to hear your opinions
9.gif

sarin280206.jpg

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Lame attempt at a bump!
31.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the sarin confirms a very nice stone.
3.gif
have you purchased it yet? i wanna see! i wanna see!

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Hey Belle
1.gif

No, I haven''t bought it yet. Will probably make the transfer tomorrow
2.gif

I am very excited!

33.gif
I''m still wanting to know why GIA call it a Round Modified Brilliant....

I PROMISE to take pics and post them once I receive the stone! Then I will post pics when I get it set! Wooooo!

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:48:32 AM
Author: MissIndecisive

33.gif
I''m still wanting to know why GIA call it a Round Modified Brilliant....
Does it have more than the usual 57/58 facets? The Eighternity and Solasfera are both Round Modified Brilliants according to GIA. Just a guess.
1.gif

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 6:09:55 AM
Author: Boom
Does it have more than the usual 57/58 facets? ...

Hi Boom
1.gif
thanks for your reply.

I''m not sure

7.gif

How would I find this out?

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Oops MissIndecisive, I''m sorry I missed the part in your first post where you mentioned the modified cuts.

Can you ask the vendor?

It sounds like a beautiful stone though, congratulations!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2006 6:41:21 AM
Author: MissIndecisive

Date: 2/28/2006 6:09:55 AM
Author: Boom
Does it have more than the usual 57/58 facets? ...

How would I find this out?

It should be pretty clear from what the stone looks like. Esp. if you can look at it with a loupe... There should be some extra facets compared to the round brilliant cut.

And sure enough, the seller should know. In fact, I wonder why they didn't tell you anything, because these modified cuts are usually done on purpose to create a brand, not for fun. So they would come with a label.

Aside 'Solasfera' I can't name any other with H&A pattern. If this is what you have, then there should be 10 arrows instead of 8...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call the GIA

World Headquarters and Robert Mouawad Campus
5345 Armada Drive, Carlsbad, California 92008
Tel: 760-603-4000

If you have the number on the report you can ask them questions.

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 7:36:21 AM
Author: valeria101

It should be pretty clear from what the stone looks like. Esp. if you can look at it with a loupe... There should be some extra facets compared to the round brilliant cut.

And sure enough, the seller should know. In fact, I wonder why they didn''t tell you anything, because these modified cuts are usually done on purpose to create a brand, not for fun. So they would come with a label.

Aside ''Solasfera'' I can''t name any other with H&A pattern. If this is what you have, then there should be 10 arrows instead of 8...

Hi Valeria
1.gif

I did have a look at it with a loupe and a H&A viewer but silly me didn''t notice that the Certificate said RMB! So I was mainly checking that the H&A''s were all nicely aligned etc. It wasn''t until I got back to the office that I really studied the Certificate
32.gif

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kenny,

Thank you for their number.

I have spoken to the vendor and they have said that their lab has looked at it and can''t work it out so their Chief Grader (Johan from Melbourne
35.gif
- I think he posts here) is bringing it to Sydney to have DCLA check it out
9.gif

Allium

Rough_Rock
Miss I,

A round modified brilliant is any round brilliant with a faceting style that differs from the standard 57/58 facet arrangement. It may be a very modest deviation like split bezels or something far more complicated like the eighternity.

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 8:19:08 PM
Author: Allium
Miss I,

A round modified brilliant is any round brilliant with a faceting style that differs from the standard 57/58 facet arrangement. It may be a very modest deviation like split bezels or something far more complicated like the eighternity.

Hi Allium,

Thanks for replying. I wish that GIA would say how it''s "modified"!
25.gif
That''d make life a little easier! So maybe it''s something very slight that''s not that noticible.

I will hear sometime this afternoon about the trip to DCLA and what they say about the diamond.

Thank you to everyone for being so helpful
12.gif

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Okay, apparently it seems as though it''s a "mistake" on the part of GIA
6.gif

There are no extra facets on the diamond and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

I love it and I''m picking it up today!
18.gif
Yay!!!

I will post some pics when I get a chance!

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
So I picked up the diamond!!! Wooo hooo! I''m in love
30.gif
I keep getting it out and looking at it - in sunlight, flouro (and it STILL sparkles!), incandescent etc -- I think this is Pricescope-itis. LOL
9.gif

It is said that it may be a mistake on the GIA report. It was checked out by Johan of Diamond Exchange and he took it to DCLA and they coudn''t find anything out of the ordinary. And it has the 8 H&As.

I have a few pics I can post but please excuse the crappola camera
3.gif
They are with the H&A viewer. I couldn''t take any without the viewer because the flash just sent sparkles all over the place!

Once I get a few better pics from a macro setting I will be sure to post!

I would like to thank EVERYBODY for their help. Most of you probably don''t even know how much you help the newbies (and lurkers
41.gif
) and you''ve sure helped with my purchase.

Aview22.JPG

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Next...

Hview43.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Cool pics! It looks like you found a real beauty!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results