shape
carat
color
clarity

round diamond rates 1.7 on hca

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
How could I expect this diamond to perform?

score: 1.7
light return: excellent
fire: excellent
scintillation: very good
spread: excellent

The scintillation receiving a very good while everything else is excellent, how will this affect the performance?

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Here are the specs on the diamond:
1.54 7.49 x 7.53 x 4.51
depth: 60.1%
table: 60%
crown angle: 33.4 degrees
pavillion %: 43.4%
pavillion angle: 41 degrees

The vendor does not provide pavillion angles so I calculated it using the ATAN function, not sure if this is entirely accurate. In any case I used the pavillion % when arriving at the HCA score of 1.6 TIC. When I used the pavillion angle I get a 1.7 TIC.

I tried to paste the HCA chart here but am not able to. Would it be possilbe to tell how this diamond will perform?

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Garry,
Both the polish & symmetry are excellent. I''m not quite sure how to interpret the ideal scope image. Is there anything that indicates on it if theres much light leakage, etc? Also was it alright of me to calculate the pavillion angle with the ATAN function?
thanks again,
Rosy

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
yes except that if there iis a 1% culet then you will get a shallower result for the pavilion.

Usually depth % results in understatement of pav angle by about 0.2 degrees - whigh can be significant - but the ideal-scope DiamCacl model from your data suggests it will be a very nice stone and all the #''s do indeed add up assuming the stone has a medium girdle.
If the girdle is extremely thin then the stone will be too deep and leaky. If the girdle is extremely thick then it will be too shallow and dark.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Garry, I was a little worried when I saw the depth & table of this stone, it''s a 60.1/60 since I''ve heard that stones of these proportions are really not nice. I guess it''s got a lot more to do with the crown & pavillion measurements, so I hope I luck out. Thanks for that ideal scope picture, I can''t wait to see the diamond, I go in tomorrow. I will let everyone know if it''s a winner, I''m keeping my fingers crossed!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Well I just got back from viewing the 1.54 ring. It was nice & bright white & looked really big from the top. Unfortuneatly it didn''t capture my heart because from the side it looked very short, flat & wide. I think it''s because the table being 60% was so large that you didn''t see that nice rounded shape at the top of the diamond when viewing from the side. I thought it looked out of proportion. It was also set very low. I compared it to another diamond that was the same carat weight but had a smaller table 56% & from the side the 56% table looked slightly taller & that gave it just enough to make it look well proportioned. I never used to think the side of a diamond matters but you do look at it from all angles. I couldn''t justify spending thousands more for a ring I really didn''t love. I''ve decided to keep the 1.38, It didn''t look like there was too much of a difference in size anyway. I am very disappointed though that this 60% table ring didn''t work out.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Hey Garry,
Care to elaborate?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Imagine a woman lying on her back at the beach?

No no no!!!!

What you mean is some diamonds stand proud of the mounting and have as much as 1/2 their carat weight above the setting - and some - like princess cuts - have it all in the butt and little up top !!!!!

TopHeavy.jpg

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Oh I see. I guess diamonds are like people, need to look proportional from all angles, that''s probably why they invented three way mirrors.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
11.gif
Yeah , flat crown gets lost in a setting - that''s a sinkhole, not a diamond! ... sorry
12.gif

Although, it doesn''t matter if you want to peg the ring on a wall and look only straight down to it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results