shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Diamond Help(Newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmzoot

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am new here and am impressed with the amount of knowledge so I hope I can get some help with my purchase.

I have only visited one jewler in NYC per a friends reccomendation but am skeptical to visit the diamond district. Hopefully you can provide me with some feedback on the one stone he showed me that interests me.

The following is from the GIA report:
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.24 - 7.35 x 4.57 mm
Weight: 1.50 Carat

Proportions
Depth 62.6%
Table 57%
Girdle Medium to thick faceted
Culet: None

Finish
Polish- Excellent
Symetry - Very Good
Clarity- SI1
Color - F
Flouresence - None

When I look at the 2 pictures on the GIA report, the picture to the left which appears to be the top of the diamond shows no markings at all. The picture to the right shows 2 markings on the edge of the stone.

It was my first visit and I really was unable to see anything through the loupe except on 1 stone which I saw black dots which the jewler advised me that I would find just to show me a bad stone. I really never took a good hard look with the naked eye.

The biggest thing that scares me is the SI1 clarity rating. I just don''t wanna purchase something that looks bad to the visible eye. Are SI1 flaws usually visible to the normal eye ???

Also, how do I find out the cut rating. It does not appear to be listed on the GIA report. Should I request additional reports before I consider making this purchase ???

Lastly where would I find sample prices to compare with this stone. He was offering it to me for about $11,500. I was looking to spend about 12k and am looking for a 1.5 carat round stone.

Sorry for the long post!!! Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!!!!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The total depth is a bit steep for our Personal Preference, but it may be a lively stone still depending on what the crown and pavilion angle measurements are... But the total depth is costing you visible outside diameter and when you''re paying for the price jump that occurs between the 1.49 - 1.50 carat marks it kind of makes some serious sense to get the look that you''re paying for... Ask the seller to provide you with a full version of the Sarin or OGI computerized proportions analysis, it should be easy enough for them to obtain in NYC. We reject SI-1 clarity diamonds which are not eye clean from a top down perspective, but "eye clean" is kind of a relative term depending on your personal vision... What is "eye clean" to one person might not be eye clean to another... Take whatever diamond you select to an independent GIA Graduate Gemologist for verification and a professional, unbiased opinion, refer to the "appraisers" page here on PS for a directory... Good luck!
1.gif

rosy

Shiny_Rock
This diamond is a little deep. It''s hiding some of it''s weight in it''s thick girdle rather than adding to the width at the diameter of the table. I''ve seen well cut 1.50 carat diamonds at 7.40-7.50. A 1.38 carat diamond I''m currently interested in has a diameter of 7.24, similar to this diamond & probably costs a considerable amount less. It''s not really a bad thing, just something to consider since the price jumps once you hit the 1.50 carat mark & you don''t want to be paying for worthless carat weight.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Hi -

Just to give you a comparison of what everyone is talking about

I have a 1.5 carat stone

My measurements of the diameter are:
7.43 - 7.47 x 4.52
to your
7.24 - 7.35 x 4.57

So - in very small terms - when I look at my stone..it will look bigger than your stone... from the top However, they are "both" 1.5 carats.

My total depth is 60.7 your stone''s depth 62.6% - so - proportionally your stone will be "longer vertically". And mine will be short and squat - but more wider around the top.

I did get mine for less than your 11K.

However - the numbers mean more than just what it "looks" like. The deeper stone may have other disadvantages - check out the knowledge section here in regard to how light is reflected out of the diamond. You may want to find a stone a little less deep.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2004 10:34:19 PM
Author:jmzoot
Hello,

I am new here and am impressed with the amount of knowledge so I hope I can get some help with my purchase.

I have only visited one jewler in NYC per a friends reccomendation but am skeptical to visit the diamond district. Hopefully you can provide me with some feedback on the one stone he showed me that interests me.

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.24 - 7.35 x 4.57 mm

Proportions
Depth 62.6%
Table 57%
Girdle Medium to thick faceted

Finish
Polish- Excellent
Symetry - Very Good
Clarity- SI1
Color - F
Flouresence - None
In addition to what others have posted, this diamond seems to be a little bit "out of round".... No round diamond is perfectly round, and most say that .10 of a difference between the length and width of the diamond is okay, yours is .11 difference... Just something to think about.

Like Laney, I am getting a 1.5c stone with 60% depth that will look "bigger" face up than this one. It is a VS2 - H.... and it was less than $11,500...

jmzoot

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the information!!!

Well the place I went to look at stones only showed me 4 stones. 3 of the stones were not 1.5 carats which I was looking for. He I supposed to get more stones in for me to go look at. Should I take my chances in the diamond district ???

This individual I am dealing with is a friend of a friend who supposedly has great prices. Acoording to those who have posted I fell I would not be getting such a great deal and could possibly do better for my money elsewhere. I will definitely have to shop around different places....I thought he was a wholesaler but it appears that he is a manufacturer of fine jewelry in Manhattan.

Hopefully this doesn''t sound foolish, but I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased a diamond ring from COSTCO. I know this doesn''t very romantic, but I am just curious of anyone''s opinion if they dealt with them or know anyone who has dealt with COSTCO.

Thanks!!

jmzoot

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any opinions on the best place to purchase a diamond ???

Just curious also.... do diamond prices go down after the holidays ???

yogidrew

Rough_Rock
I would take a look at niceice.com Their site is very informative, I have no vested interest in their success, but it looks like they know what they are talking about.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
JZ: I pm''d you back. As for Costco, there was a guy who posted recently about his experience with Costco. You could do a search and see what it pulls up.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Niceice & Good old gold seem to test their diamonds visual performance more than Whiteflash. But Niceice & Good Old Gold are priced a little higher & seem to have a smaller selection than Whiteflash.

jmzoot

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I received a GIA report from Costco and was wondering if there is anyway I can determine the cut based on this criteria.

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.32 - 7.37 x 4.54 mm
Proportions
Depth 61.8%
Table 59%
Girdle Thin to slighly thick faceted
Finish
Polish- Very Good
Symetry - Very Good
Clarity- VS1
Color - G
Flouresence - None

Any thoughts on this stone. They are asking 12,200 plus tax in a gold setting. I would have to reset it in a platinum seting

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jzmoot,

the table on that diamond is a little large. What this will do is that the diamond will look larger "face-up" however, this will be at the expense of fire.

I''d try to aim for this

Table Diameter: 52.4 - 57.5%
Crown Angle: 33.7 - 35.8° degrees
Pavilion Angle: 40.15 - 41.20 degrees
Girdle Thickness: Thin, Medium, Slightly Thick
Culet Size: None, Pointed, Very Small, Small, or Medium

You get the crown angles by getting a sarin or ogi megascope analysis. However, I don''t think that costco will provide you with one. AGS reports give all this info on the report.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results