shape
carat
color
clarity

Rosebud pearls

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Do any of you have rosebud pearl strands or pieces that you would share here? I'm drawn to the texture many of the loose strands that I have seen that are available have a sheer voile like iridescence or a wax like appearance. What are the standards for quality on rosebud pearls or are there any? Can anyone please tell me more about them?

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Nacrelover that link was very helpful. I honestly have never seen these in production jewelry, but I don't find them objectionable. Have a dear friend whos nick name is Rosebud, and was thinking of doing something fun for her for her birthday and wanted to be able to tell her a little bit about them when she opens her present.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
4 ranchgirl has a pond slime pearl pendant in her collection. I have seen the Kasumi-ga-ura wrinkled pearls and their Chinese Kasumi lookalikes. Sarah at Kojima pearls has them for sale. She just posted a photo of smooth Kasumi-ga-ura on her facebook page yesterday.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Rosebuds are a personal favorite of mine, but I do think they're a little tricky to design with. A while back, I posted a similar thread on the other forum and didn't get much of a response. Glad to know there's another rosebud fan out there! Here are a couple my own pieces. The first is a necklace made with pearls I purchased from Kojima. You can also see it on Sarah's website. The second is a bracelet made with tiny gray rosebuds I found from another vendor. Rosebuds do tend to have a metallic quality and these are rather iridescent little guys. I prefer to think of them as hedgehogs myself.

pc170059__640x480_.jpg

pc090047__480x640_.jpg

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your comments and photos bluebirrd. I would never have come up with that cool idea for a necklace very unique. I have a goth niece that would love a Flail Mace or Wrecking Ball on a Chain type piece, maybe a braclet with flail mace charms a dangle around the bracelet, not sure that a pretty pink rosebud would work but maybe a gray or dark plum and annodized chain for her personal taste. For my friend I was thinking of a full strand in a pretty pastel color with a few perfectly round pearls mixed in for contrast. Anyone else have rosebud projects that you are willing to share?

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
An example of Rosebud/druzy pearls~ice cream cone pendant, with hand cast cone by US silver artisan Gregg Burgard. (sold) It was a challenge to find the right shape pearls to fit together for this whimsical pendant. I probably will make more this summer.

imgp4322_exposure.jpg

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bluebirrrd and all, Thanks for posting such interesting designs for these unique pearls! I prefer to work with ones that are more rounded, as they tend to have a flat side.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Very cute ice cream cone Pattye. Thanks for the photos ladies.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye love your design :appl: You are so creative.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your ideas, comments & input. I love that Ice ceam cone, rosebud & silver pendant. Pulled the trigger on the light pink AA++ 9x11mm, lot of 10 strands that I had my eye on. Hopefully there will be enough rosebuds in the 10 strands to pick out any 'flatties" that don't suit me. I hope the photo's of the rosebuds are close to true if so there are some pretty cool textures among them (some wrinkles, and different finishes). I also picked up some AA++,10x13mm, slightly darker pink, baroque, smooth finish, strands to use as accents of a different texture. If when they arrive here and they don't work well together, there are enough full strands to use without mixing them together.

project_h_rosebud.jpg

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your purchases, what fun! Please report back on the quality of the rosebuds. I've eyed those same lots and wondered how the color and shape would appear IRL.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
I will do a follow up after they arrive. I do so wish I didn't have to depend on photos so much there is NOTHING like being able to eyeball pearls, gems for the full feel & effect they have on me. I normally don't buy lots, but Christmas will be here before I know it. I'm so lucky to have friends, S-I-L, & neices that love different & unique finds. They don't have the time to hunt down the bits but are thrilled when I make up small pieces for them. All the neices for college graduation got pearls of different colors & shapes (nothing like setting the pearl hook at a young age :wink2: ) . Now as the grand-nieces are coming along in record numbers I have to keep them in mind too.

The little rosebud pearls especially the pretty flatties will make into hair barettes or shoe clips for their little leather mary-janes for dressier occaisions, recitals, etc. With the cost of toys, electronics, name brand accessories :shock: *gasp*, this is actually a more cost effective route for me.

I can't wait for the pearls to arrive and get this set of projects rolling.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What great ideas, c Langston! I think rosebud pearls are lovely. I've never seen them in person but they're so pretty in pictures. I'd love to own a strand some day. I imagine their luster can vary, as with all pearls?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
these are my rosebuds:

-1_zpsaeec799c.jpg

They quite literally have gotten more compliments than all of my other pearls combined.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
bluebirrrd|1371053597|3464236 said:
Rosebuds do tend to have a metallic quality and these are rather iridescent little guys. I prefer to think of them as hedgehogs myself.

This is what I'm calling them from now until the end of time. I love that!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
hedgehogs in the sun:
-1_zps741ea173.jpg

c langston

Shiny_Rock
mrs. taylor Ooooooo love the light & color play on your *giggle* love your nick name hedge hogs, they are very pretty.

baby nurse you are so right the luster can be very different, I hope I am not disappointed when the come in. From the photo I expect a sheer iridescence with a light feel, bubbly, almost youthful. Not sure if you are familiar with the Groovy Girl doll collection, they are soft textures, bright, sheer, pastel colors, somewhat whimsical that little girls are CRAZY about. These rosebud pearls kind of fit that niche' to me, kind of pearl training wheels. "Take care of these and we will go to the next level for high school graduation."

They are not for everyone, and that's ok... c

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
c langston-I shared elsewhere, but I'll tell you too. This is a new necklace for me. I have been wearing pearls for 20 years at this point and while I get compliments from time to time they're just something most people don't really appreciate.

I wore this strand out on Friday to lunch with my husband and I got several comments. One of which was from a woman that stared at me throughout lunch and then when she was going to leave she came to my table to tell me how beautiful the necklace was-that it was as if I was wearing a string of lights around my neck and she couldn't take her eyes off them.

So while they may feel more juvenile/youthful/whimsical, they were definitely appreciated at a fairly upscale restaurant with a generally older crowd.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
ms. taylor I think your necklace the deep luster, light play is amazing, it's classic design, are certainly comment worthy by a stranger!

The strands I purchased appear to have much less luster to them, the cotton candy pink color and iridescence of the strands I picked up are not nearly the same grade as yours I am sure. Much like the difference between the heavy satin on a wedding dress is different than a sheer voile tutu. That is the reason I think the strands coming have a more youthful feel, cotton candy pink is not a color that I would normally wear, but I still like them.

Over all I do like the look of Rosebud pearls or hedge hogs, they are different, the light play is different than round, different than traditional baroque. In all honesty I will be looking for a strand for myself that has that deep luster like yours to add to my personal collection. In my world different is good, high quality different is even better!!!!!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Gotcha-but they will still be stunning I'm sure!
When you decide to buy a pre-made version, I cannot recommend Catherine Cardellini enough. :)

alice87

Shiny_Rock
:wavey: such a cute pendant! Totally adorable! I meant the ice-cream one.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I got some more and wanted to share. Here are my newest necklace and bracelet from Catherine.

-5_zps5247c15c.jpg

-4_zps959ec827.jpg

-3_zps80c7a124.jpg

-1_zpscd810d83.jpg

They've totally captured my heart.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I love the graduated new strand of yours. So pretty and very unique!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love the look of the two necklaces together! congrats!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lovely lustre! I like the name 'hedgies'. So cute. :D

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs Taylor your new hedgehogs have such a beautiful lustre and wonderful glow to them! I can see why you have received compliments on them :appl:

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Sorry been out of the loop of a bit.

OMG did you get a look at the SIZE of Mrs. Taylor's new rosebuds Holy you know what!!! Can't hold a candle to those. Very nice thank you for taking the time to share those Bad Buds with us.

Struggling a bit with this project usually I'm a machine and whoop projects out (knotters block?).

I got so stumped that I moved on to two other small projects leaving the rosebuds for a little more thought.

I'm really glad though that there has been more interest in the Rosebuds, when I popped back in here it was kind of a nice surprise that there was still some activity and more photo's & projects.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! They are...unusually large. I think they're amazing. Thanks for loving them. :)

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Two thumbs up!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results