shape
carat
color
clarity

rose cut pendant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Quick question -
I love this, but I know very little about rose cuts. Can anyone tell me if this looks like good buy? I think it looks really pretty, but as I say, I don''t know a whole lot about this cut. Would be really grateful for any feedback/ opinions on this piece, good or bad! I saw it today (I was just browsing, honest) and it kinda spoke to me, but I am just a bit unsure. I''m not very good at imagining the actual 3D piece from a 2D picture, if you know what I mean! Any comments or words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jen

http://www.faycullen.com/pendants/600/d720c1d.html

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen any rose cuts in person?? I am a huge fan of older cut stones, but the rose cut is my least favorite. Mainly because they are dull and lack the sparkle factor that I love. But many love them, so there you go.
2.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2007 8:28:49 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Have you seen any rose cuts in person?? I am a huge fan of older cut stones, but the rose cut is my least favorite. Mainly because they are dull and lack the sparkle factor that I love. But many love them, so there you go.
2.gif
Ditto, from across the room it will show broad flashes here and there that will catch people''s eyes. However, from a few feet away they don''t really do much.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I happen to love rose-cuts, but one mustn''t expect them to look too glittery! They really are an acquired taste. I''m imagining the first one you posted will be a bit more glittery than the second, given the movement.

Also, because they have fewer facets, you can expect them to be less forgiving of inclusions.
My DIL has a rosecut pear pendant that some of her friends think is glass!
6.gif

All that said, I do love ''em, and I like the second one you posted best. It reminds me of me: Old and flawed, but authentic! LOL

Eager to hear what you decide!
widget

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kayleighy and Kcourselle - I haven''t seen a rose cut in person, I was just starting to look for an older cut and these grabbed my eye too early in the process! You''ve confirmed what I was worrying about I think! Maybe this isn''t the cut for me, at least not until I can see one in real life.

Widget, that second one seems to be an original piece, while the first is a modern piece in Victorian style. I like the design of that one better, but the old, flawed and authentic thing really appeals to me - am confident that there would be sweeter ways to describe you though!
9.gif

Jen

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2007 4:50:55 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Thanks Kayleighy and Kcourselle - I haven''t seen a rose cut in person, I was just starting to look for an older cut and these grabbed my eye too early in the process! You''ve confirmed what I was worrying about I think! Maybe this isn''t the cut for me, at least not until I can see one in real life.

Widget, that second one seems to be an original piece, while the first is a modern piece in Victorian style. I like the design of that one better, but the old, flawed and authentic thing really appeals to me - am confident that there would be sweeter ways to describe you though!
9.gif

Jen
I would try a transitional cut, an old mine cut, or old european cut. These still sparkle much more than rose cuts, but have the old style faceting. Do a search for facetfire to see one.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The faceting doesn''t lend to it the sparkly nature we associate with more modern cuts, but rose cut stones are beautiful in their own right! Of the 2 you posted, I prefer the first one.
1.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for advice.

I fell in love with these in a big way, but on reflection, decided not to be distracted from saving for my cushion. Then DH announced that he was going to surprise me as a reward for quitting smoking, and I think it might just be one of these pieces. I don''t know and he won''t tell, possibly because he doesn''t want to be nagged into buying a cushion instead(which he doesnt like, for some weird reason). I looked at the other older cuts as suggested, and I really love old mine cuts, from what I''ve seen. I suspect it could take a long time to track down the right one, maybe a longer term project.

Not usually keen on surprises, but I am very, very hopeful here, and will keep you posted.
9.gif

Thanks again,

Jen

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Yes, so do I! Love your new photo SDL, you look very glamorous.

Jen

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope he does get you one as a surprise! Definitely keep us posted. Congrats on quitting smoking!!
36.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Thank you FireGoddess. I am enjoying being smoke free - hardly think about it now. Quitting the nicoteen gum could actually be harder!

Jen

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
*holding breath*

So...? When is the gifting process??? And congrats on the quitting! Healthy choice! But I warn you diamonds are far worse on the wallet!
28.gif
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you could get the second pendant for quitting the gum.
27.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Now you''re talking!! I wonder if there is any mileage in running that past DH. I think I know what the answer would be, but it''s gotta be worth a try, right?
9.gif

As for the gifting process, hmm. Who knows? He loves his little secrets. I could be wearing it tomorrow, or still wondering this time next year. I love him dearly, but sometimes...

Jen

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, gotta try. The worst he could say is no.
2.gif
11.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
The bad news is, he wasn''t up for getting me a quitting the gum present. The good news is, I have my pendant! It arrived today.

It was a bit of a convoluted process in the end. He got me something completely different and we had to have a chat...

Anyway, we eventually went back to the original plan and I got onto the vendor before he could change his mind. Silver lining- the price had been reduced!

I love the cut - completely different to a modern cut but surprisingly lively with some flashes of fire.

Jen

PSgofc111.JPG

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
No sun here today, so not great pics!

pspcgfc222.JPG

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on finally getting your rose-cut pendant. It is just awesome!!! I think your pics are great Mrs M., and cannot wait to see more of it....the look, the charm, it is very unique and pretty. I'm feeling an extreme urge to find something rose-cut for myself, especially after seeing yours!!!
30.gif
4.gif
30.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely, positively LOVE it!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Congratulations!

widget

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Widget!

Have you got your eye on something in particular, Love in Bloom? I''ll take more shots as soon as the sun comes out. I am surprised at how nice this cut is. Better than expected I didn''t get a chance to see one in person, so it was a bit of a leap of faith. Now I want more old cuts! Never satisfied.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 9:35:51 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Thank you Widget!

Have you got your eye on something in particular, Love in Bloom? I''ll take more shots as soon as the sun comes out. I am surprised at how nice this cut is. Better than expected I didn''t get a chance to see one in person, so it was a bit of a leap of faith. Now I want more old cuts! Never satisfied.
No, nothing in particular. But I am seriously wanting some studs...but rose cut studs probably wouldn''t be easy to find (plain ones) and would have to be reset....and I would just hate to ''destroy'' a pice of jewelry, pilfering >100 year old stones out of their equally as antique moutings. I think I read somwhere about newer stones being rose cut in india. Maybe I will look iinto that, but I think I just need to find a unique and old piece that really speaks to me. I know what you mean about never being satisfied
6.gif
3.gif
! Jewelry shopping and laundry; tasks that are never ever done!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too bad about the gum. At least you tried.

However, the pendant is beautiful!!! What length chain will you wear it on?

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous pendant
36.gif

I think your photos show the beauty of the cut more than the Fay Cullen photos. ENJOY!!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for the positive feedback! FG, It came on a 16 inch chain, and I have a similar one at 18 inches, so either of them, depending on the neckline of my outfit. I do prefer the short chain at the moment though, because the pendant itself is quite long, so it sits in the right place.

Love In Bloom, it might be worth contacting Fay Cullen - they do get new rosecuts I think, because they set them into their antique style pieces (from what I can figure out). Might be worth a try?

Lucyloo, thanks! I''m getting better at the pics, my first few were just a big blur!
1.gif

Jen

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info Mrs M! I really love Fay Cullen''s website and I can just spend hours and hours not wedding planning and instead browsing and drooling. Do you have some neck shots of your new pendant to see proportions? I love it!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I do indeed! Here they are

PSfjkl;j3.JPG

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Not the most flattering angle for me or the stone!
9.gif

PSsdewkgze34.JPG

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
OOOH thanks Mrs. M! Your pendant is even more charming on you
2.gif
. I second getting a new piece of jewelry for quitting the nic gum...maybe some earrings to match???
31.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
OOOhhh. Matching earrings. Now there''s a thought. Mm. That would be good. Impossible to find, I should think, but looking is half the fun!

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results