shape
carat
color
clarity

Roommate horror stories?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Three stick out in my mind.

Roommate #1 - passive-aggressive. Wouldn''t talk to me about her problems with me, but would hold pow-wows with my bf at the time. Then HE wouldn''t tell me what she''d said about me! Supremely annoying.
Roommate #2 - compulsive liar, stopped paying rent, didn''t do any of the cleaning. She was one of those seemed nice and sweet on the surface people, but a total nutjob underneath. Made up all sorts of weird stories about herself and other people.
Roommate #3 - temporary situation, but had very loud and frequent fights with her bf. Lots of drama. Had a bunch of her stuff (or his stuff, I was never sure) thrown on the lawn. It was left there for over a week with a break-up note on it.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never had a roommate - I lived at home until I got married, and now I guess DH is my roommate
2.gif
He''s great and I love living with him.

Reading all these stories makes me happy I never had to have a roommate!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This thread makes me SO glad that I haven''t had roommates ever
14.gif

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
My stories are too disgusting to even want to post! I will say, although living with roommates can be challenging, I think it is a good experience for people to endure! You can sure learn a lot about conflict resolution, financial responsibility, and personality clashes when doing so and those are things you have to deal with no matter where you are in life, be it family members, coworkers, etc.

Here is a quick synopsis of my two horror stories!

1) Bulimic roommate (who we tried repeatedly to get help) insisted on vomiting IN the shower and squishing the food down the holes in the drain with her feet, or sometimes unscrewing the drain cover if necessary. You can imagine the ensuing plumbing difficulties... I mean come on, just do it in the toilet, at least that''s made for flushing semi-solids!

2) IBS roommate, who had well, bowel problems, which is fine, it happens. But when you overflow the toilet, turn off the water or lift the black ball thing in the back of the tank so the water stops. Um, apparently her family never taught her that, so yes, fecal matter all over the bathroom while she stands there helpless waiting for me to help her and clean it up!!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
OMG May, grossssss! I think you may win for Most Disgusting Roomies EVER.

FI had a roommate who wore high heels in the house. There are now puncture marks ALL OVER THE WOOD FLOORS. Thousands of them. This same roommate would let all of her food mold over in the fridge until I took gloves and cleaner to clean her shit out.

FI had another roommate before I moved in that wouldn't take care of his animals, owed 7+ months in back rent (still owes us over $1k right now!), had his homeless gross friends over all of the time (who stole things and one even pretended to go home but I later found him crashed on the floor wedged between the couch and the foot stool trying to HIDE so he would have a place to sleep. I AM NOT EFFING KIDDING!) Oh this same guy let ANOTHER one of his homeless friends live in his room for a few weeks- which we didn't know about until I put two and two together.

Oh!! One night, we came home and there were no lights on in the house. I turn the dining room light on- where the computer was at the time- and that same homeless guy that slept on our floor was ON OUR COMPUTER. He didn't even acknowledge us! I asked him who he was, and he said, "I'm with "ROOMMATE"" -- Apparently roommate was giving keys out to his FRIENDS who then would sneak into our place when no one was home.

We kicked that guy out and the guy living in the bedroom out- you know what they did? They slept on the front lawn with all of their homeless gear spread everywhere--- for hours....

That same roommate also brought drugs into the house, stole my favorite baking dish to make pot brownies (and never gave it back), started killing bunnies in the backyard and wanted to cook them...

I COULD NOT GET THIS GUY OUT FAST ENOUGH. We gave him several deadlines to move out by, which he would never do, but finally, almost a year ago, his butt was gone.

My FI was also dumb enough to sign a contract helping this guy out on something which he defaulted on many times in a few years, and we just finally got him out of it. FI had to learn the lesson the hard way.

OH and previous female roommate, I mentioned, he co-signed 2 student loans for her. She has been paying interest ONLY and if she doesn't want to pay the balance, well... thanks! Fi really is the sweetest guy ever, and a little naive. I had to grow big huge balls to get stuff done around here

Oh and this summer my own brother moved in for two months because he had split from his GF and yadda yadda.

His two cats pissed on everything. They constantly knocked their dishes over so there was water and soggy food on the wood floors, and once all over a rug which soaked the water up but kept it next to the wood. By the end of the two months I was crying every day because I would have to clean his room every single day. We tried to do him a favor and help him out, but he didn''t care. We charged him $200 a month for rent. I will NEVER ever ever ever help him out again.

One of the last days he was there, I found 2 full bottles in his room of urine. He apparently had been too drunk to use the bathroom and just peed in bottles and then stashed them.

Thank GOD it''s just me and FI right now.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 3:42:06 PM
Author: swedish bean
Oh and this summer my own brother moved in for two months because he had split from his GF and yadda yadda.

His two cats pissed on everything. They constantly knocked their dishes over so there was water and soggy food on the wood floors, and once all over a rug which soaked the water up but kept it next to the wood. By the end of the two months I was crying every day because I would have to clean his room every single day. We tried to do him a favor and help him out, but he didn''t care. We charged him $200 a month for rent. I will NEVER ever ever ever help him out again.

One of the last days he was there, I found 2 full bottles in his room of urine. He apparently had been too drunk to use the bathroom and just peed in bottles and then stashed them.

6.gif
32.gif
33.gif
40.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread has me laughing and crying over some of the stuff you guys have been through.
9.gif

Mine''s not so bad comparatively - I rented a room in my house to this nice guy named Henry. Henry was apparently a moron because he backed his car through my closed garage door - from inside!
9.gif
29.gif

I was so mad about it back then, but time heals all wounds.
2.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 9:00:10 PM
Author: Circe
Damn, ladies! These stories are hilarious and awful.

My worst was the roomate I called the Chinless Wonder. (Seriously. Remember the vampires from ''Blade II?'' That was her. Only more passive-aggressive.) She insisted on leaving our front door unlocked. All the time. When I pointed it out to her, she claimed that she wanted her BF to come and go as he pleased. Then she put a fluorescent pink post-it that said ''THE DOOR IS UNLOCKED'' on the front door, on the outside, claiming she didn''t want her boyfriend to be confused.

Man, I hope their kids got their genes from the recessive alleles.
The chinless wonder?

But . . . how did she fold towels?
9.gif

Date: 11/30/2009 3:46:11 PM
Author: elledizzy5

6.gif
32.gif
33.gif
40.gif

I was tempted not to write about that but I hope it makes the OP feel better.
My brother claimed it was Juice. I said, "No it''s not. I opened the bottle!!" If you''re wondering how old he is....... he''s 23.

His whole life is party, too. Drinking, booze, and.. the other B word.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 3:57:41 PM

My brother claimed it was Juice. I said, ''No it''s not. I opened the bottle!!'' If you''re wondering how old he is....... he''s 23.

JUICE? kidney juice?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I can''t imagine some of the stuff you all had to put up with. I had one roommate who:
Smoked and let her friends smoke in the place when it was against the rules and I was allergic.
Would go out partying with her friends and "forget" her key and so would knock on the door so I''d open it and let her in.
Would never clean/do dishes (her parents were rich so they had a maid). My other roommates and I tried to get her to do her share but she didn''t.
Had her friends over all the time and they were loud.
Ate my food so I had to hoard. Also didn''t buy her share of tp etc.
Was loud all the time.
Wouldn''t really hang out with me or my other (nice) roommates.
Was very selfish.

Her idol was Brittany Spears so I guess it''s not much to expect. I also wondered what was the point of her living there other than being able to party all the time.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 3:49:25 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
This thread has me laughing and crying over some of the stuff you guys have been through.
9.gif

Mine''s not so bad comparatively - I rented a room in my house to this nice guy named Henry. Henry was apparently a moron because he backed his car through my closed garage door - from inside!
9.gif
29.gif

I was so mad about it back then, but time heals all wounds.
2.gif

Bahaha through the garage door? Wow I thought my roommate was a bad driver. We can only fit 3 cars in our driveway so one person has to park in the street(just whoever gets home last that day) and whenever she parks in the street she is either
a)about 4 feet from the curb and at an angle... like if it was a diagonal parking spot it would be a pretty decent parking job, but this is her attempt at parking along the curb.
or b) parked halfway across the entrance to our driveway so that you can BARELY pull out of the driveway. We''ve made half joking comments to her about it and shes always like "oh I got home late last night and got out of the car and was just like ''ugh I''m not fixing that''"... I''m pretty sure my 8 year old cousin could do a better job.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock

His two cats pissed on everything. They constantly knocked their dishes over so there was water and soggy food on the wood floors, and once all over a rug which soaked the water up but kept it next to the wood. By the end of the two months I was crying every day because I would have to clean his room every single day. We tried to do him a favor and help him out, but he didn't care. We charged him $200 a month for rent. I will NEVER ever ever ever help him out again.

I can barely live with my brother under my parents roof... I can't imagine if he moved into my house. I'd probably strangle him with the laundry that he insists on putting on the floor less than a foot from his hamper... Are those extra 6 inches REALLY gonna kill you!

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I don t know how to say this politely..... We had one girl who had extremely noisy intimate relations with her boyfriend ALL the time. He would come stay for the w end, and they would basically do it all w end, 24 7. At the start it was funny, but after a while it made us all (4 other housemates) really uncomfortable. We would all congregate in the kitchen (the furthest room from hers) talking about whether we should knock on her door and ask her to keep it down (she was literally screaming). To top it all off she was doing it in our shared bathroom, and at one point left her bath water in... Funnily, after his weekend visits she would go out and buy cartons and cartons of cranberry juice. Hope this isn t an inappropriate post!

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock

My worst was the roomate I called the Chinless Wonder. (Seriously. Remember the vampires from ''Blade II?'' That was her. Only more passive-aggressive.) She insisted on leaving our front door unlocked. All the time. When I pointed it out to her, she claimed that she wanted her BF to come and go as he pleased. Then she put a fluorescent pink post-it that said ''THE DOOR IS UNLOCKED'' on the front door, on the outside, claiming she didn''t want her boyfriend to be confused.

OMG!!!! So funny...This boyfriend must have been totally brain dead, hence the need for the Post-it advertising the open door.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 9:02:12 PM
Author: fsu1227

OMG!!!! So funny...This boyfriend must have been totally brain dead, hence the need for the Post-it advertising the open door.

SO funny! Wow... leaves me speechless wondering what she was thinking?? Especially with the post-it advertisement!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Culinary school, 10x15 ft room with a little bathroom.

Bulimia.
Abuse of laxatives.
Constant food monitoring.
Abuse of alcohol.
Sex at 3am on the floor of our bathroom--which is right next to my bed with her fiance.
Sex in her bed while I was in the room--awake.
Using her vibrator while I was awake and in the room.
Grabbing her vibrator from it''s storage position and telling me about how I needed one.
Screaming and sobbing fights with her fiance until all hours of the night.

There is more, but I don''t want to think about her anymore.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Wow...we have had some doooooozies!

My frosh year of college, I got the random roommates. My mom was responsible for sending in my housing paperwork since I was oout of the country. Well, she sent it in late and I got stuck in the worst room of all time, seriously, it was smaller than some of the doubles and it was a triple. The first day one girl moved out since her parents said I was racist. Ummm... the other roommate was african american too and we lived in the international dorm by choice...but whatever.
So we had random people live in our dorm for a few days at a time but they always moved out since the room was small. We finally had a roommate who stayed. She didn''t have much of a choice since her roommate came home with blood all over her clothes from a black magic sacrifice in the cult she joined when coming to college.
I had one roommate who didn''t believe in ever wearing her clothes more than once without washing them. Ok, cool, but then never did laundry and would shove her dirty clothes under the heater and then we would smell them as the air circulated. Our room smelled so rank the hall director finally stepped in and told her she had to do her laundry.
My other roommate used to have sex in the room while I was in there. Finally one night I was so pissed I grabbed the foot of her bed, started shaking it and said, "this is constantly what it feels like when I''m in my bed! Go somewhwere else!"

Grrrr...glad my hubby is such a wonderful rooommate.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
When I first bought my condo, I asked a male friend to move in with me. I knew he had problems at home, and he was younger than I was trying to get a foothold on his life...so I figured free room and board would help him get settled and give him some peace and comfort. The first day he moved in he started smoking weed, and we''re not talking a little bit of pot to relax...he would smoke up the house to point that the odor overflowed my home into the hallway. Eventually things came to a head when my associations told me that they would start FINING me for a violation. Once I forcibly told him NO MORE SMOKING POT IN MY HOME he started sneaking to the roof to smoke up which lead to more problems since roof top access was discouraged.

We had an agreement that once he got settled into the place he would get a part time job and get back into school, enrolling at the cosmetology school where I taught. I had even secured a spot for him which was no small feat due to impart to fact that we had a waiting list at the time. He did neither. He continued to bother friends and his mother for money for his recreational pot habit and shopping, and laid around all day doing nothing. Never once did he clean, or stock the fridge, or offer money for the cable but he rented movies regularly leaving me with the bill. He threw his things all over the condo...messes the likes of which I had never seen before. Things were everywhere. My dining room table became storage for his "cosmetics" and my couches were more or less closets. It was maddening. Everything felt like one step forward two steps back.

Between the pot and mess I couldn''t take it. I tried to be a nice person by offering him an "out" so that he could refocus on school finish his hours and get on the floor styling at a salon so he could earn a living--but living with me became a permanent vacation. He never got a job...I doubt he even looked.

Eventually I kicked him out. I wasn''t nice about it either, I was so frustrated with his lack of drive. I look back and feel badly...I know he needed a break from his life, but I made it to easy and he took advantage (like young people sometimes will) of an easy opportunity. We''re still friends today but we were never meant to be roommates. We can laugh about it now.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only had one really terrible roommate, and that was the one year I spent in the dorms in college. She thought it would be cool with me to bring in 13 hamsters in 6 different plastic cages and let them live in our room. Nope. Sorry...those things were sent packing week one. Then she thought it would be ok to have her boyfriend over every single night, so essentially we had 3 people living in a room that was already the size of my closet back home. Nope. Didn''t put up with that either. Then she took it upon herself to write up a list of "room rules" that I was supposed to abide by and I lost my temper a little bit over that one. Ok, I lost my temper a lot and she moved out that week. Ugh.

I had one other roommate in college after that. I had my own apt. for a couple years and then decided my senior year to get an apt. closer to campus with a friend from my major and things worked out just fine for us.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
My bf lived with someone who would play World of Warcraft for hours on end and not monitor his diabetes for days till the point where he would lose consciousness while playing and would have to be rushed the hospital in an ambulance all the while his health insurance was our state''s Medicaid program (called ACCHS). This happened at least a dozen times.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
These stories are CRAZY, I guess my slutty roommate wasn't that bad?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I lived with a couple who would fight all the time. The girlfriend was crazy and would throw herself on the floor and tell me to call the cops because he was beating her (even though I was standing right there and she was clearly trying to bruise herself up).

A few years later DH (BF at the time) had bought a house and was waiting for his lease to be up. At the time he was renting a house with two other guys. MY lease was up, so I stayed with them the last 2 months of their lease while we waited for his house to be ready to move into. At that point in our relationship I was staying with DH every night anyway. Well, the first week into it DH and I had left to go on a fishing trip. When we got back his room was trashed with plates of empty food, cups full of beer and condoms--yes, condoms---on his floor. Apparently DH''s roomate didn''t think it was a big deal if he had sex with his skanky girlfriend in his (which was at that point "our") bed. He couldn''t do it in HIS bed...no no no. That would be an extra 30 feet of effort. Anyway, I had all these things planned out to say to the girl if I ever saw her again, because for some reason I felt like SHE (as a female) would understand how gross that was. Oh, and it was like pulling TEETH getting the guy to wash our sheets and clean up after himself.

Same guy--different drama. We moved into the new house and DH wanted to keep this guy around for a little bit. He was alllllways playing poker on my computer. I was a full time student and so it got really frustrating having to ask him to get off all the time! But the worst was one day when I came home from work and found him sitting on our kitchen counter--get this---using one of our knives (that we eat with) to cut a callous off of his foot.
emotion-41.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 4:07:11 PM
Author: tlh
Date: 11/30/2009 3:57:41 PM

My brother claimed it was Juice. I said, ''No it''s not. I opened the bottle!!'' If you''re wondering how old he is....... he''s 23.

JUICE? kidney juice?

lol, kidney juice
20.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
ugh. I''m right there with you at the moment. I really want to be done with roommates and just move in with FI. too bad he''s on the other side of the state
15.gif

freshman year, not too bad. we each had our own room, never used the shared kitchen. She was kind of weird in that she was super freaked out about always keeping the doors and windows closed and locked- while we were in the apt. mind you everyone needs a swipecard and code to even get into the building. her room was always messy but contained to her room

sophomore year: shoot me. my freshman yr roomie turned out to be a nightmare. her mean comments about FI and I, her junk all over the place, her calling the girl I shared a room with a slut (which she certainly was not), calling her roommate a drunk (she''s far from it, had one tipsy weekend at a different apt with friends, came home fine) dishes everywhere, old smelly food in the fridge, I don''t know how many cans just littering the living room. we asked her to clean up. she was highly offended and moved out by the end of the week

junior year: kept the two remaining roommates and added a HS friend of mine. I want a one bedroom apt NOW! omg. my last roomie never does dishes anymore, they just pile up. whatever. as long as there is enough room for me to wash mine, i don''t care. second roommate always has something I ''have to watch on youtube'' or ''look at this on FB'' or ''read my paper for me.'' but she decided that she''s living w/someone else next year and I couldn''t be more pleased
9.gif
. HS friend is well, I''d just rather not live with her b/c she brings over another old HS friend who I cannot stand.

So it doesn''t sound bad, but the little annoyances just add up and drive me bonkers. a one bedroom, heck even a studio apt sounds better than this crap.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Post law school. Advertised on Craigslist for a roommate in a house. Already was living with one other guy, who was pretty cool. A second guy responded to my ad. Seemed okay, was going to college at SF State, in a communications major. Seemed quiet, but no red flags were raised.

Guy moves in. Within two days, he is pacing around his room, back and forth. Other roommate and I notice this, and wonder, WTH? Guy is uber jumpy, and always seemed panicked. He was so jumpy that we were both on edge, and when he suddenly moved, I jumped and my old dog went bonkers. Finally, he just came up to me (after 3 days) and said, "OMG, I just can''t do this. I''m sorry, to bail, but I can''t live here." Uhhhhhhhhhhh?????

Guy''s dad comes over. Guy''s dad tells us his son has a history of depression. MAJOR depression. Bad enough that he''s been hospitalized twice for attempted suicides. WTF??? His father wanted him to go to school and help encourage him be on his own. (Read: Father no longer wants to put up with mentally ill son. Really sad.) He advised us to hide our knives and all other sharp objects, and wanted him to "stick it out the weekend" and see if his son could make it to the start of school. Other roommate spent the weekend at a friend''s house. I and the dog slept with our door locked at night. And yes, I hid the knives.

Guy moved out. He just wasn''t ready yet. I felt bad for him, because it''s not like he could help his problem, but OMG.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results