shape
carat
color
clarity

Rolling ring, pave diamond. Who can make it?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1344193029|3246415 said:
http://memoire.com/catalog/collections.aspx?products=2096 Anything from Memorie's rolling ring collection would be a good choice.
Loving this collection from memoire! Good choice, Gypsy :appl:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
There's very few pieces I can say I enjoy, and fewer still I'd want for her.

I'm curious about this statement. What do you mean by this? What does SHE want? It isn't all about what you want or don't want for her. Since she immediately told you that she does not want this style after reading this thread, then it's time to move onto something different. I know that spending so much time and effort to find the perfect piece can be an emotional investment, but you cannot let that rule what she wants. If you BOTH are willing to take the risk of everyday wear of this ring despite warnings, then fine. However, she made it clear that she is not interested in dealing with that, and frankly, neither would I.

I think you two need to talk and figure out what other styles she likes and go from there. Please don't make it about what "I'd want for her."

Garuda

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1344193324|3246420 said:
I feel for you, I really do. I completely understand investing lots of time into an important decision, finding the perfect solution, and then finding out that the solution isn't as perfect as once thought. ;( From the perspective though of a woman, our wedding rings are extremely sentimental to most of us, and the thought of it being tainted with constant and timely repairs certainly takes much of the joy out of it.

Can you tell us what it is specifically about this ring that you love? Is it the rolling piece or is the combination of different metals, or is it that bling factor? I was thinking about this last night, and a better option may be to stack two or three pave bands in different metals. 18kwg 18kt yg and 18kt rg.

This is an expensive example and we can find a more budget friendly option, but to give you an idea...
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/pearlmans-bridal-jewelry/rings/15EE1/

She would need to wear a small spacer ring between the bands to avoid damage to the pave, and there is still the risk of losing a stone, but IMO a better option than the trinity.

Have you had the opportunity to check out VC LM SK or RDG? They're are all pave masters and have beautiful unique designs and all do custom hand forged work. You may find something in their catalog that inspires you....

https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/
http://www.stevenkirsch.com/showroom/engagement-wedding-bands.html
http://www.victorcanera.com/
http://rdgnz.com/

I would also check out RDGs facebook page, they have several photos of work that they have completed and are in the process of creating. They are all masters in their trades.

Oh, I want to add 23rd street too, they have some beautiful unique pieces as well.
http://23rdstreetjewelers.com/

edit typo

I've only seen the art of platinum. Thank you for the links and your help.

The Ms. is fiendishly picky, in a passive aggressive way. She'll tell me if she likes or dislikes something, but generally only upon being presented with it. She knows I've been shopping since January when I showed her a couple pieces I'd picked. But she has no interest to find or select a ring herself. Some input on my selections is all I'm getting out of her, she's simply said she trusts my taste.

It's annoying that you guys think I'm imposing my choices on her. That sentiment, or thought Is not what I'm here for. I do want the best for her, hence being picky about it. If it was as easy as plopping her in front of a few dozen magazines and saying, ok let's pick. I would. Except.. she doesn't care to. I've tried. She simply defers selection to me. Somehow this is a guys responsibility she feels and wants me to sort it myself.

I just asked her a second ago. "If I put you down in front of a bunch of magazines full of rings. Will you pick one?" Her: "Are these rings you've already selected out for me? You need to narrow it down first".. ack. lol. :-o

We both agreed we didn't want a trophy engagement ring that couldn't be worn daily. Spending any measure of money on this for a shelf item doesn't make sense for us. We've got a bunch of friends who've done 2ct+ or elaborate tiered designs from Tacori, or Tiffany which.. don't work well with office environments. So they don't get worn.

I ended up picking this ring because it was a novel, it builds on something she really enjoys, which is her silver rolling ring. The bling factor plays a good part of it as well, its different in that it's not a .. look how many ctw my ring is. It's a hey thats shiny. It just plain LOOKS nice. The design is the value, as opposed to the specs and the ctw. Funny enough, I picked this is a hold over until I could source the Ruby for her engagement ring. This just evolved into the solution. In the mean time my efforts to do the Ruby ring failed, and in comparison, it wasn't as attractive as this.

I'm thinking hard on the idea of the fixed bands as you guys have suggested. I chatted with her about it, but she plays with her current rolling ring all the time. We both looked and found this fixed sapphire and diamond. Similar to the Cartier X

She just stated that a combo engagement/wedding band, the Trinity is the nicest she's seen. Subtle, not in your face like a towering Tacori.

fyi. I wanted to do a mix of the princess ruby, on top of the channel set ruby band. But finding matching princess, channel rubies wasn't possible. Nor, was it as visually appealing as the Trinity.

I guess we're going to have to go back to the drawing board, or bite the bullet.

I've got to wonder, has anyone actually heard of diamonds falling out of this ring style. Or is it just an assumption based on previous experiences with pave rings?

sapphire-diamond-ring.jpg

_433.jpg

ap198b-r_onhand2.jpg

ruby-engagement-ring-300x300.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Garuda! :wavey:

If rubies and sapphires are what you have in mind, you might want to step into the Pricescope Colored-Stones forum. They have helped many people select gorgeous colored stones - colored stones that are precision cut, and natural to boot (as opposed to the lab-created shtuff floating around department stores :nono: ), and provided invaluable input on setting designs - all within the poster's budget.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any rolling ring with pave is going to have even more stones fall out than regular pave rings. We don't need to have seen it happen to know it, because it's basic sense. The little tiny beads/prongs that hold the stones down wear down over time, generally when they come into contact with other things. With the rolling design, they are constantly coming into contact with the other parts of the ring and rubbing, and this will wear them down even faster. With any pave ring, you will have to baby it some (no sleeping in it, no doing anything that will cause accelerated wearing of the metal, etc), but with a pave rolling ring, the babying will be pretty extreme.

A channel-set rolling ring will not have those problems, which is why people have offered them as options. It'll still be a rolling ring, it'll still be blingy and beautiful, but the channels won't wear down as fast as the beads, and it's probable that they'll never need to be repaired, or if they do it'll be in a very long time (even the prongs on regular solitaire rings can wear down over time and need to be repaired).

Have you contacted Engagement Rings Direct about a channel-set ruby ring like the one you posted? I am sure they could make that happen, and it's possible they could help source a princess ruby for you. They could probably even make a rolling ring for you with channel-set rubies in the yellow or white gold and diamonds in the other two bands, if that is something you'd like.

Garuda

Rough_Rock
distracts|1344213567|3246560 said:
Any rolling ring with pave is going to have even more stones fall out than regular pave rings. We don't need to have seen it happen to know it, because it's basic sense. The little tiny beads/prongs that hold the stones down wear down over time, generally when they come into contact with other things. With the rolling design, they are constantly coming into contact with the other parts of the ring and rubbing, and this will wear them down even faster. With any pave ring, you will have to baby it some (no sleeping in it, no doing anything that will cause accelerated wearing of the metal, etc), but with a pave rolling ring, the babying will be pretty extreme.

A channel-set rolling ring will not have those problems, which is why people have offered them as options. It'll still be a rolling ring, it'll still be blingy and beautiful, but the channels won't wear down as fast as the beads, and it's probable that they'll never need to be repaired, or if they do it'll be in a very long time (even the prongs on regular solitaire rings can wear down over time and need to be repaired).

Have you contacted Engagement Rings Direct about a channel-set ruby ring like the one you posted? I am sure they could make that happen, and it's possible they could help source a princess ruby for you. They could probably even make a rolling ring for you with channel-set rubies in the yellow or white gold and diamonds in the other two bands, if that is something you'd like.

Ah, thank you for the suggestion. I'll visit their site as well.

She just mentioned to me, that she doesn't wear any of her rings, earrings, accessories at home. Soon as she walks in the door they're off, she expects to treat the wedding band/ring the same way.

Does this make it safer? She works in an office setting during the day.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It isn't a matter of just having them fall out. The suckers crack too. One wack on that ring in the right spot and you could bust melee on all three rings because they put pressure on one another. Mane of us have regular trinity rings and have seen them get scratched up to all heck. Putting pave on that and then having them get raked against one another-- well, just a bad idea.

Call Cartier and say this... I'm considering buying my wife one of the diamond trinity bands. I am trying to decide between the channel set and pave set. Can you tell me which one is a more durable style for everyday wear?

Follow it up with: Do you see a lot of damaged rings with the pave?

Phrase it that way, so they don't think they lose the sale, and answer honestly.

Garuda

Rough_Rock
zerzura|1344591710|3248989 said:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/94704254/the-rolling-ring-interlinking-pave-set

This looks very similar!

This is very nice, thank you! It's almost a match for the smaller one from Cartier. For this price I can buy three and rotate them out if there's any issues. And still not even spend half of the Cartier. Certainly gives me pause.

Garuda

Rough_Rock
So it's coming up on a year of my SO wearing the Trinity I had made for her. This is just a fyi for anyone who is wondering what I was at the time. Can this ring be made to wear daily. Yes.

I ran into a SA at a designer boutique who noticed my SOs ring. She asked if it was authentic, and we said no, she asked if she'd had any problems as her husband is a jeweller and has had 3 made for the same client. Who loses stones at the same spot.

My SO to date hasn't had any issues, (knock wood) Though she wears it daily, she takes it off the moment she gets home, minds how she holds groceries, the door, etc. So is basically careful.

I think it's worth doing. It's a completely stunning design. I encourage anyone interested to go for it, as long as they can be careful. It's worth it. Who knows where we'll be in terms of it being together in two years. But just looking at it in the light everyday so far has made it worth it. To me, this ring is so far beyond a traditional solitaire.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you mind posting a hand shot please? :love:

Garuda

Rough_Rock
AprilBaby|1374196491|3485883 said:
Would you mind posting a hand shot please? :love:

Ended up with 550 or so stones.
imag0108.jpg

There's a Cartier Agrafe Bracelet in the photo as well. Trying to figure out its history as we speak.. posting another thread on here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results