shape
carat
color
clarity

Road Bike Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies,

I am wondering if any one could help point me in the right direction. I am in the market for a road bike and I am wondering what you ride and what the pros and cons of the bike are. I know that fitment and test riding the bike are important and those factors will ultimatly sway my purchase, but just wanted to know what you rode and why. I am just starting in this so spending $5K on a bike is out of the question
emwink.gif

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Specialized makes a number of great road bikes, at nice price points that are perfect for the beginning rider. They also have great resale value so when you decide to upgrade you can get quite a bit of your $ back.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Giant Hybrid, so basically it''s a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. It''s sturdy, but suitable for long rides too and very comfortable. And i think it was around $350-$400. A friend in the business recommended it to me because it''s really universal - trek makes a great hybrid too.

If it''s purely road biking you are looking for, however, i can''t help too much - good luck!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I was going to get my husband a Specialized this year, however for their mid-grade 2009 model (Allez Comp) they downgraded the frame and upgraded the parts. In order to get the same frame that they made on the 2008 models, we would have to get the more expensive Allez Pro, which was a $600 difference. I would rather pay more for a great frame and upgrade the parts over time than have an inferior frame with great parts. We ended up going with a Fuji because the 2009 models had a superior frame to the Specialized at the mid-grade level (under $2k).

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
What kind of riding are you planning on doing? That is going to make a difference in what you choose.

A good place to start would be Specialized, as neatfreak mentioned, or Trek. Both make women specific designs. The Specialized Dolce and Trek WSD both come in several levels. The geometry is a little different between the two companies and you will probably find that one will fit you better than the other.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I upgraded to Bianchi''s last year and they run in many price levels. Our first bikes were Treks and we both loved them. As others have said, they have many pricepoints and options. I''m not saying Bianchis are better than Treks. When I say upgraded, we went with lighter bikes that are more carbon than aluminum as my DH is becoming an avid road biker and we are working toward 100 mile rides. In addition, I want to do triathalons and wanted a lighter bike.

I like the idea of bikes built specifically for women. Orbea makes women specific but they tend to be a little pricier. Felt is another brand that makes models specifically for women.

My strongest advice would be to go to a small, locally owned bike shop. At least to look if not to buy. These smaller shops are generally obsessed with their love of riding and want others to love it as much as they do. The knowledge they have about riding, bike quality, etc will far outshine anything you will find at Target or Dick''s or SportMart. Even if you choose not to buy from them, you will have learned what to look for in getting what is best for you. You will not have wasted their time as they will be glad they have made another cycling convert!

And regardless of where you buy, the local shop will help fit you for the bike you buy and this is so important in being comfortable when riding.

Another thought might be Craig''s List. Also, depending on the size of the city you live in, if they have local riding clubs, those clubs often have spring sales for members to sell their gently owned bikes when they upgraded.

Have fun!

Julie

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
One thing to think about is the actual store you''re buying from... ie in my area, I got horrible service when shopping for a Trek and same for Orbea. So when I was between a Cannondale and the Trek, it was a no brainer--I picked Cannondale. Granted you can purchase from out of state or your general area, but being a newbie having someone to run to when you need a quick adjustment or just some general advice can be good.

Also, someone mentioned womens specific bikes... while they might fit you perfectly, a mens model might fit you better. In my case, I ended up with a mens model. And I also paid $150 to have a professional fit. When shopping remember to check actual dimensions not just the labeled size. Manufacturers measure differently for sizing but they do publish all the "real" dimensions.

And I''ll second the craigslist idea... once you know your needed dimensions and have an idea of what you want, keep an eye on craigslist for a while. There are some big bargains to be found. Lots of people buy big money bikes only to find out they don''t ride... also, people who have big money bikes find that they are having babies, or needing to pay bills and sell their bikes at a big loss.

Good luck!

... I was in your shoes not too long ago. I bought a bike, had a few ''oh no maybe I bought the wrong one'' regrets for a week or so, and then I''ve been riding 60-100 miles everrrrry weekend. It''s so much fun!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I have a Fuji that I really like (FI and my dad got the same bike after I got mine, so it must be a good one! my dad has 4 bikes but likes his Fuji the best) The choice was easy because I knew a guy who sells them near wholesale price (if you're near upstate NY, I can give you his info) so my bike cost about half what it would at a normal bike store (I paid $1500 I think). If I didn't "know a guy" I would probably just try out bikes and see what fit best. I would look for carbon fiber forks on the front and back if you can, and I think the Shimano 105 derailleur set is good for a semi-serious beginner without being super cheap. I would look for those components on the major bike brands and see what you can get for the price. If it has cheap components and costs $2k, it's probably not worth it!

ETA: On the size issue, I agree with others that women's specific bikes are not all they're cracked up to be and many women fit just as well if not better on men's bikes. I would recommend finding a shop that will measure you very accurately as if you were buying a custom bike. Then they can tell you the exact measurements (more or less) to look for on a pre-made bike. When you're a newbie, it's hard to sit on a bunch of new bikes and really know what "fits" without riding many miles on it (I always hated when people would ask "Is it comfortable now?" I'd have to ride on it for a while before I could really tell if it was better or worse). Having a specific range of measurements to look for can help immensely.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
NEL, just saw that you got a Fuji for your DH! I don't know anyone else (other than my family) who has them. Which one did you get? FI got the Roubaix Pro a few years ago and my bike has the same components as his (though it was sold as just the Roubaix when I bought mine). I think they're great bikes and often overlooked. If you guys want another one and are willing to travel to NY I can give you a great place to go.

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies for the wonderufl suggestions! I was going to go this weekend and start testing some out.... however my significant other found out yesterday that he lost his job... so needless to say i wont be spending any extra money right now on things that arent a nessessity. Guess i will just stick to running, because it is free!

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
This post is a little bit late, but I''ll put in my 2 cent.

I have an Allez by Specialized. It''s an entry level, and spent about $800 or so on it. Then, if you want to add clip-in pedals, get shoes, a helmet, and some other gear, you talking about another $300 or so... but mine works just great!

The only thing I would have done differently is maybe get a women''s specific bike. I feel that sometimes it''s hard for me to get a good grip on my breaks because my hands are small and don''t stretch that far. With a women''s specific, the brake level is a little bit closer to the handles, so the reach isn''t as far.

Check with the bike stores to see if and when they have sales. Usually when the new inventory and new models come in, the old stuff will go on sale. Also, ask the store if they know anybody selling a bike. Sometimes you can get a good deal on that.

One of the most important things is to make sure that the bike "fits" you. They are not "one size fits all"... the cross bars and different lengths and if you''re too stretched or too squished, it''ll make for an uncomfortable ride. Get an expert to properly fit you to a bike.

You can certainly find a good deal if you keep your eyes open- good luck- riding is fun- always wear a helmet, though!!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
You could probably still get something decent on the cheap if you keep your eyes peeled. I got my road bicycle brand new off of craigslist for $320. I''d been trawling craigslist every day, looking for a bike that I liked that was in my price range. It rides great - I use it to commute.

The guy who bought it got it for his wife. She didn''t like the color.

It''s silver and black.
33.gif

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I''m different and have a mens frame bike (Specialized Rockhopper). I have a MTB and not a road bike, which makes it a bit different. I tried quite a few bikes out. I think its because I have little legs and a longer proportioned body, meaning a mens was more comfy. I have got a woman''s saddle on it of course.

I started off with a Marin hybrid and got rid of it within 8 months. Thing drove me bloomin crackers- not enough gear selection, rubbish tyres etc. But then I was doing more dirt track off roady stuff.

I must confess I hadn''t touched my bike for nearly 4 months and getting it out at the weekend was ace. We did a slow pootle (15 miles) but I did feel better for having got off my fat bum!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I''m way late and realize you''re not in the market at the moment. Should things change or for somebody else''s benefit, I''ll post a few comments (although you didn''t solicit suggestions from guys!).

Yes, it''s difficult to sit on a bike or take a ride around the parking lot to get a feel for it. Some shops have trainers set up where you can "ride" for a bit and adjust along the way. This takes out the road imperfections and focusing on where you''re going and concentrates more on the feel of the bike.

WSD bikes are nice for women but sometimes, a men''s bike just fits better. Try a couple.

Many people hate their bikes but don''t realize it''s the saddle (seat) they really hate. It can take some time to find a saddle that fits you well but it''s a great place to start in making an improvement. Padded shorts make a huge difference in comfort too. Just don''t wear anything under padded shorts!

Do you live in a hilly area? If so, you may want 3 chainrings up front (assuming a road bike). When it comes to getting up the hill, walking, or hurting your knees, you''ll be glad you have that extra ring.

Over the years, I''ve had a Fuji, Cannondale, Gary Fisher. I''m now riding a Trek mountain bike and a Cervelo road/tri bike. Stick to the major brands and you''ll be ok. The more you spend, the more the weight goes down and the more the component durability goes up.

Hope your SO is back on his feet.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 5:08:55 PM
Author: elrohwen
NEL, just saw that you got a Fuji for your DH! I don''t know anyone else (other than my family) who has them. Which one did you get? FI got the Roubaix Pro a few years ago and my bike has the same components as his (though it was sold as just the Roubaix when I bought mine). I think they''re great bikes and often overlooked. If you guys want another one and are willing to travel to NY I can give you a great place to go.
Elro, I''m so sorry I didn''t see this months ago. We got the Roubaix as well, which is apparently the same as the old Roubaix Pro. He''s been riding quite a bit recently (100 miles on the weekends) and is really loving this bike. We really trust the owner of our local bike shop and am glad he pointed us in this direction. I''d love to find out a place to go with great prices--I am thinking of upgrading to one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results