shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring theft - any legal recourse here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

George K

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I''m a noob here, and I was pointed to this forum by someone on a non-diamond related forum. He suggested that all of you may have some ideas on my situation. Here''s the story:

Last August, when I was on vacation up in our vacation home in Wisconsin, our cleaning service came to clean the house (they come once a month). My wife had left her wedding ring (with attached diamond) and a ring from her mother (also with attached diamong) on the counter in the bathroom the night before. I did not watch the cleaning service, for I was in another room.

That afternoon, when my wife wanted to go shopping she saw that the rings were gone. We searched the house frantically, with no luck. We can only assume that one of the ladies who was there that day pocketed the rings and left. No one else was in the house (other than family) for the entire duration of my vacation. The rings'' value is about $10,000. We did not have a rider on our homeowners policy.

We filed a police report about a month later. A very polite officer took our statements and started the investigation. He searched the homes of the ladies who worked for the cleaning service (one of whom had been either fired or quit) with no luck either.

About 2 months later, my wife was told that since the service is insured, bonded, etc, they would cover replacement costs of the rings. Today, she was told that, since the policeman had not found the rings, no reimbursement would be forthcoming.

Basically it comes down to my word vs. the service, I guess. Do I have any recourse here, or am I SOL?

TIA for the advice.

George

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Do you have insurance for the rings on your home owner''s policy?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d say that you are probably SOL. The biggest factor in that is the fact that you did not immediately get the police involved. Filing a report a month late...

Then you waited another 2 months to try to claim insurance (3 months after the event).

Your word against theres - and not timely either; which works against you.

Perry

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2006 6:10:07 PM
Author: diamondlil
Do you have insurance for the rings on your home owner''s policy?
(He said, "We did not have a rider on our homeowners policy.")

I am afraid you need a lawyer to answer that question. We could help you with picking out new diamonds, though! ;-) Seriously, I am really sorry...that is terrible!

I''d be surprised whether they''d have to pay considering you waited so long to file the police report. I am thinking it would have been more credible had the report been filed the day or day after they were discovered missing. But that is just a thought and may not correspond with the law. It is a big reminder to us all to never take off jewelry when we travel. (And to be sure that valuable jewelry is always insured).

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Hi George K, welcome PS
35.gif
, although I''m so sorry it isn''t on a happier note.

I would contact a lawyer. That''s the best way to figure out what your legal options are (i.e. civil suit).

Have you spoken with your insurance company? I''m obviously not an insurance expert, but maybe there is some type of coverage on your policy that might partially cover your loss.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Though you don''t have a rider on your homeowner''s insurance, isn''t jewelry covered up to a certain limit? The rider is for insuring items worth more than the limit on jewelry payout. So you would be eligible to collect the max they cover for jewelry items under your homeowners, if the item is worth more than that, wouldn''t you? The overriding problem here being the time that has lapsed in your reporting it to police, and then to the cleaning agency....don''t know what your insurance will say about that.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
This same thing happened to my aunt only with a pair of earrings. The cleaning crew also had fired a worker. She couldn''t prove anything and was SOL sad to say.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
FG: Homeowners usually does cover jewelery that''s not a rider for up to 1k only.
40.gif

George K: You could file a civil suit against the cleaning service (for restitution), but I have to admit the evidence that you have is not in your favor.
38.gif

Disclaimer: I am not a practicing attorney, but a second year law student.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results