shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring stamp identification help please

Mrs Bucket

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescopers,
I have come here looking for help to read the stamps on a 9ct gold wedding band I picked up secondhand.

Screenshot_20230808-141108~2.png

I've managed to find online:

H.S (maker's initial), 9ct, 375, Birmingham, but the X stamp I'm wondering if it's the stamp for imported jewellery or the date stamp for possibly 2022, which on a chart is lower case x, and I'm wondering how to tell if it's a capital X or lower case.

The last stamp I have not seen anything to help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea of the origin of the band.

Thank you in advance ☺️

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While the letter "X" is used in date letter stamps, your X stamp's font does not match any of the X date stamps I could find.

Perhaps the X stamp may represent an Assay Office Mark on Imported Plate stamp from Edinburgh (required for the years 1904-1998) -- https://theassayoffice.com/anatomy-of-a-hallmark

I also found this interactive hallmark wizard which says your band likely dates before 1975 ...

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 10.22.44 AM.png

I couldn't find any UK hallmark stamp that utilizes a square box shape like the last stamp (furthest right) on your ring but based on your photo it does appear to have been stamped at the same time as the others ...

Good luck with your research, and I hope you update this thread with any findings!

Mrs Bucket

Rough_Rock
While the letter "X" is used in date letter stamps, your X stamp's font does not match any of the X date stamps I could find.

Perhaps the X stamp may represent an Assay Office Mark on Imported Plate stamp from Edinburgh (required for the years 1904-1998) -- https://theassayoffice.com/anatomy-of-a-hallmark

I also found this interactive hallmark wizard which says your band likely dates before 1975 ...

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 10.22.44 AM.png

I couldn't find any UK hallmark stamp that utilizes a square box shape like the last stamp (furthest right) on your ring but based on your photo it does appear to have been stamped at the same time as the others ...

Good luck with your research, and I hope you update this thread with any findings!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Yes those last two stamps have me stumped. I'm pleased to know you thought it might date before 1975 because it looks like an older band to me, and I must admit I was a little disappointed to think it could be as recent as 2022 if the x was lower case

I think the X is most likely the imported stamp and I'll have to be happy not ever knowing the date I suppose....

I'll keep on looking

Thank you again x

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry im no help on the X
but i just had to say i love your name and avitar pix

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Pricescopers,
I have come here looking for help to read the stamps on a 9ct gold wedding band I picked up secondhand.

Screenshot_20230808-141108~2.png

I've managed to find online:

H.S (maker's initial), 9ct, 375, Birmingham, but the X stamp I'm wondering if it's the stamp for imported jewellery or the date stamp for possibly 2022, which on a chart is lower case x, and I'm wondering how to tell if it's a capital X or lower case.

The last stamp I have not seen anything to help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea of the origin of the band.

Thank you in advance ☺️

These markings are so interesting

Mrs Bucket

Rough_Rock
Well.... An update....
I was talking to a lovely UK Etsy shop owner about a vintage wedding band she has for sale very similar to mine. She confirmed the last marking () was a WW2 stamp verifying the ring was made according to the gold rationing rules at that time - stamp () = rationing compliance/utility stamp
Stamp X = 1947

I'm stoked

Thank you all, and now you know

Mrs Bucket

Rough_Rock
Well.... An update....
I was talking to a lovely UK Etsy shop owner about a vintage wedding band she has for sale very similar to mine. She confirmed the last marking () was a WW2 stamp verifying the ring was made according to the gold rationing rules at that time - stamp () = rationing compliance/utility stamp
Stamp X = 1947

I'm stoked

Thank you all, and now you know

Screenshot_20230930-171129~2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results