shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring sizing question, please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I did a search and didn't find anything and can't remember seeing this specific question ever addressed.

What is the difference (in mm, I guess?) between ring sizes? In other words, how much larger is a size 6 ring than a size 5? Or a size 5 than a size 4? And so what would the measurable difference actually be for a half size? A quarter size? How are these things measured?

THANK YOU!

Lynn

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I found the answer to your question at this web site:
http://www.sizes.com/people/rings.htm

It gives US, British, Japanese and European conventions for sizing.

Hope this helps.

Blu

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what are you up to missy?
27.gif

this should help
2.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies and the links. MUCH appreciate it!

BUUUT, as you may know, I am a complete math moron and decimal points and zeroes confuse me!!!
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
SOOOOO... could someone please put this information into "words" - a language I DO understand!

If a size 4.75 ring has a circumferance of 48.4 mm and a size 5 has a circumferance of 49 mm... then does this mean that the DIFFERENCE (around the inside of the ring) is just a little more than half a mm??? That''s a little more than one REALLY TINY tick mark on the ruler??? How can that little make such a difference???

The same info Belle linked me to said that a 4.75 ring has a diameter of 15.53 while a size 5 has a diameter of 15.70. Again, is this less than HALF a mm difference in diameter??? Doesn''t seem possible to me???

33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Thanks again,
Lynn (the math-impaired!)

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Well this isn''t mathematical by far but my engagement ring is a size 5 but its too big it spins and has fallen off onto the sidewalk today!
6.gif
From now on I keep my hand in my jacket when walking and I''m extra careful! I''m getting it resized this weekend...I tried on a 4 1/2 and it was tight but the 4.75 was perfect. I guess those little size differences really DO matter.
38.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know those ring size differences don''t seem like much, but think of it in diamond size..for example..1.54 vs. 2.36...HUGE difference!
same with the rings...a little goes a very long way.
2.gif

kjgirdner

Rough_Rock
Don''t know if this helps, but the different in total area between the two rings is a bit more significant ( 3.14 X r^2)

Size 5.00 - area of 193.5 mm^2
Size 4.75 - area of 189.3 mm^2

That''s over 4 mm different in total area. That''s a lot of skin cells. =)

Karrie

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
wow. so let me get this straight,

according to the chart above, my ring, size 12.5, which I am going to have to get resized to a 10 soon, it is falling off my finger too(i guess that is a good thing, so long as I don''t lose it)
12.5 = 67.9 mm circum.
10 = 61.6 mm circum.

total is 6.3 mm in total loss
my ring weight (i think) 9 pennyweights, which is about 13.995 grams. so that means it is .0206112 grams per mm of metal.
6.3 x .0206112 = 1.298505 grams
1 troy oz. = 31.1034807 grams (i looked it up) Platinum is averaging $993.00 per troy oz.
Thus each gram is worth $31.92568734

Therefore rezising it will be $41.46 in metal lost!
23.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for their replies. And especially to Karrie and Sylvester (but I gotta tell you guys, you lost me at "hello"!)
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

I honestly don't know what this little goober " ^ " means, though. Have never used one in my life!!! (What am I missing?) But thank you for sharing the information! And Sylvester, I have often wondered about that same thing!

BUUUT, bottom line, I guess... there is a HUGE difference in even quarter and half sizes. Wow. If only we could get our KNUCKLES to cooperate, this ring sizing wouldn't be so darn tricky!

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
mm^2 is shorthand for when you can''t superscript the 2 (aka, make it small and put it half way above the mm. it stands for square millimeters, or if you were to take your ring, and totally flatten in out how many 1 mm x 1 mm squares it would make.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
The inside dimensions change seems small when measured in millimeters, but the length of material removed or added is more easily understood. A change of one size is about 2.5 mm in length.
Amazing how a quarter size can make such a difference in comfort, or can make it nearly impossible to get the ring on or off.

The best fit should require a bit of effort to remove the ring. Any looser, and there are loss risks, as well as the "spinning" effect.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I have found that it is difficult to get knuckles to cooperate! I have employed the adjustable/hinged shank solution for my two most top-heavy rings [my knuckle is a 5.5 and my finger is a 4!]. It is not cheap but it works!

Good luck,

Blu

Edited because I can't type.

mikemaz

Rough_Rock
It really is amazing how much of a difference these small sizes make.

To give you an idea of my situation, a 6.5 is too big, a 6.0 is too small, the 6.25 is perfect!

These small difference in size can make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results