shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring size = Type of ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure why this thought didn''t cross my mind sooner, but I was curious about something you experts may know a lot more on then I would...

Depending on the size of your finger, does that in some cases delegate what type of ring to choose??

Ex - Is it true smaller fingers look better with a solitare and rounder fingers with three-stones??

And does finger size also affect the band width on a ring??

I am a size 7.25 and I wonder if it would be better to make the band a little wider so it dosen''t look strange... But then again, this could be my own hang up...

This topic may prove to be inconsequential in compassison to other questions about rings, but it occured to me and I had to ask. Hopefully I am not alone with this question.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s really all about personal opinion. My ring finger is size 7 with a 3.5mm band. With a 1.5mm band, I''d need a smaller size. I have a 5 stone graduated diamond band, and it has great coverage, but it''s just a different look than my solitaire. Depends on what you like really. Plus, a size 7 on one person is completely different than a size 7 on another person, depending on their finger and hand structure. I think we all complain about the size and/or look of our fingers regardless of the ring size.
2.gif

designchica

Shiny_Rock
I have heard/read that if you have smaller fingers, it may be difficult to do a 3-stone ring depending on the size of the carats.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know - I just wasn''t sure if there was a "general" feeling on this or if it was, as stated lyra, more about each person on an individual level. I guess because I am not a big jewlery fan (I don''t wear anything besides my diamond pendant from Eric this past Christmas - yes that includes NOT having my ears pierced) I don''t know nearly as much as I should about rings and what to be aware of.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Funny you should ask this right now. I went on a trip to Tiffany yesterday with two of my good friends to try on rings (one or both of them will likely be getting engaged soon). We all have really different ring sizes and hand shapes - one friend is a size 6.25, the other is a size 4, and I''m a 5.25. The different styles looked completely different on each of our hands - we tried solitaires, three-stones, and halo styles, and each had a completely different look on each of our hands. My mom and I had a similar experience - she wears a size 8, but has very long, slender fingers, and so things look totally different again on her hands.

I know when I started looking for rings, I was in love with the Tiffany Lucida, but when I tried it, it looked dreadful on my hand. When I got engaged I wore about a size 6.75, and found that more delicate bands were actually much more flattering than thicker ones. I''ve since lost weight and now I wear a 5-5.25, and that has changed things as well.

So I think the bottom line is, if at all possible, I strongly suggest going and trying on rings to see what looks best on your hand, regardless of ring size.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:07:31 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Funny you should ask this right now. I went on a trip to Tiffany yesterday with two of my good friends to try on rings (one or both of them will likely be getting engaged soon). We all have really different ring sizes and hand shapes - one friend is a size 6.25, the other is a size 4, and I''m a 5.25. The different styles looked completely different on each of our hands - we tried solitaires, three-stones, and halo styles, and each had a completely different look on each of our hands. My mom and I had a similar experience - she wears a size 8, but has very long, slender fingers, and so things look totally different again on her hands.

I know when I started looking for rings, I was in love with the Tiffany Lucida, but when I tried it, it looked dreadful on my hand. When I got engaged I wore about a size 6.75, and found that more delicate bands were actually much more flattering than thicker ones. I''ve since lost weight and now I wear a 5-5.25, and that has changed things as well.

So I think the bottom line is, if at all possible, I strongly suggest going and trying on rings to see what looks best on your hand, regardless of ring size.

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! This was the information I needed to hear. I am so glad you could help me with this. This really helps!!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
When I first started looking at ering settings online, I was totally in love with three-stones and was positive that I definitely wanted one as my ering.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been out trying different settings on, and have found that three-stones just don''t look all that great on my fingers. I''m a size 5 and my fingers are pretty long, and settings that are designed to feature the center stone look so much more elegant than the three-stones.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:33:16 PM
Author: star sparkle
When I first started looking at ering settings online, I was totally in love with three-stones and was positive that I definitely wanted one as my ering.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been out trying different settings on, and have found that three-stones just don''t look all that great on my fingers. I''m a size 5 and my fingers are pretty long, and settings that are designed to feature the center stone look so much more elegant than the three-stones.
That is kind of where I stand. The ring I am waiting on from the bf is actaully a 1920''s style that I fell madly in love with after realizing the 3-stone just wouldn''t work for my finger. I haven''t tried it on so I hope it''ll be fine (I''m sure it will be) but this has got me thinking a bit more now...

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:36:21 PM
Author: MissErin

That is kind of where I stand. The ring I am waiting on from the bf is actaully a 1920''s style that I fell madly in love with after realizing the 3-stone just wouldn''t work for my finger. I haven''t tried it on so I hope it''ll be fine (I''m sure it will be) but this has got me thinking a bit more now...

I think I''ve narrowed it down to two, either a shared-prong setting or a channel-set cathedral. I have no idea which one to choose, they''re both so gorgeous.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely try on rings that are similar to the style you love, MissErin. I thought I would love a very different kind of ring until I actually went to the jeweler and started trying them on.

I''m not sure if size has anything to do with it, but solitaires with thin-ish bands looked best on my hand. I wear a 5.75 ring, but I have huge hands and really long fingers, which I suspect has a larger impact than my actual ring size.

Go try on some rings--it''s so much fun!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
29.gif
I just lost a long post. Ugh.

Anyway, I have a three stone engagement ring, size 4.75 (pics are on here somewhere). The shank is 2.7mm, which I thought would be too wide at first. I went with WF''s judgement, and I''m glad I did. I love my ring. The only thing I''d change someday if given the opportunity is to get side stones that are a little larger. When we first looked at loose diamonds, we focued on asschers and emerald cuts. While I love step cuts, they just weren''t right for my short fingers and small hands. My center stone is a RB and I love it.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:49:29 PM
Author: Haven
I would definitely try on rings that are similar to the style you love, MissErin. I thought I would love a very different kind of ring until I actually went to the jeweler and started trying them on.

I''m not sure if size has anything to do with it, but solitaires with thin-ish bands looked best on my hand. I wear a 5.75 ring, but I have huge hands and really long fingers, which I suspect has a larger impact than my actual ring size.

Go try on some rings--it''s so much fun!
I think I will!! I just really hope, in Eric''s favor, that I stick with the ring we looked at and he is making payments on... hehe :) I''m not too worried but ring testing I shall do. :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, right--I forgot you actually had a ring that was being paid off already. Then you have nothing to worry about, just time to enjoy the anticipation!

Love your new avatar picture, by the way!

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:53:51 PM
Author: Haven
Oh, right--I forgot you actually had a ring that was being paid off already. Then you have nothing to worry about, just time to enjoy the anticipation!

Love your new avatar picture, by the way!

HAHA I am literally laughing as I sniffle with my cold. hehe Thanks for that!! Yeah I LOVE the ring, but it was too small to try on. Like you said, I''m sure I will LOVE it so I am not too worried but a little ring try on session couldn''t hurt. hehe

Thanks for the avatar compliment - I was having issues settling on one and I think this is IT!! Why not have a picture of me and the man I love so dearly?? hehe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results