shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring size incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stermag

Shiny_Rock

My boyfriend and I purchased an engagement ring from one of the PS vendors in December, and received it in early January. Although I don''t wear jewelery, and didn''t know what my ring size was, we determined I''d be okay with size 6 while trying on different sizes at a B&M jeweler, so that''s what we requested. When the ring arrived, I immediately noticed that it was quite loose. Although I was disappointed, I figured it was my own fault for not being properly sized prior to purchasing the ring. Since we''re not yet engaged, I figured I would just get it resized at some point, and put it back in its box. That was a month and a half ago. This past week, I took the ring to a local jeweler to talk about the possibility of resizing it, and I was told that the ring is actually size 7.

All of my receipts as well as the courtesy appraisal I received with the ring clearly indicate it is size 6, but a) I always thought it strange that it was so loose on me and b) I have now been told it is not. So, it will cost me roughly $80 to resize this platinum ring to size 6, and although, until recently, I was perfectly willing to pay it, that was under the assumption that it was my own fault... but now that I have reasons to believe I was sold the wrong size, I''m much less excited about the expense.

So I guess my questions are as follows:
a) should I notify the vendor?
b) what, if anything, should I expect from them (the return period has lapsed)

Thanks in advance.

M

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I have no experience in this, so I''m not sure I know what I''m talking about... but...

First, I''m so sorry that happened! That is really an unnecessary pain for you, whether $80 is at stake or not.

Second, I would DEFINITELY notify the vendor. If you have paperwork that indicates that it is a size six, just call them up say, "I noticed the ring was a bit loose on me so I went to a jeweler to see what my correct size might be and they actually said the ring was a size 7." There is a slight chance that their sizes are just a little off, I suppose? (No idea how uniform ring sizes are, but I get the impression they are pretty consistent...) I would say take it back to them (or mail it if you have to?) and say "if you find that it is actually a size 7, I expect you to resize it for free." If you present it as thinking it must have been a mistake, I''m sure they''ll be far more likely to be agreeable than if you accuse them of wrongdoing. If they argue, I might first take it to another jeweler to see if they also say it is a 7, then I would apply a bit more pressure on them. Experts chime in - but it seems unlikely to me that they would consistently size their rings one size larger than the industry norm. If indeed it was their fault (which it certainly sounds like), you have the documentation that you ordered a 6, so I would demand free sizing and NOT be willing to pay. If they can somehow prove that it was a size 6 according to the way they size rings (and you can find any other jeweler anywhere that could agree with that evaluation), then I would be willing to pay - but only then.

In any case, you say it''s a PS dealer, so I bet there won''t be a problem as most PS vendors have a good reputation here for a reason! Good luck!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes you need to call the vendor and tell them what you have told us. They will make it right for you I'm sure. Good luck

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Albiocca,

My personal feeling is that the cost of shipping (and insuring) the ring back and forth to the vendor is not worth the 80 dollar resizing fee. If anybody disagrees, please chime in.

Meanwhile, I was wondering, would it be out of line to request a credit toward a future purchase if I can provide a receipt for the resize, which indicates that the ring really was a size 7 and had to be taken down a full size?

At the same time, the future purchase I had in mind will also be a relatively significant expense, and I''m not sure if I want to commit to buying it from the same vendor (should it prove that someone else has a better stone).

I don''t know, maybe I''m splitting hairs. :)

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 10:48:18 PM
Author: stermag
Thanks, Albiocca,

My personal feeling is that the cost of shipping (and insuring) the ring back and forth to the vendor is not worth the 80 dollar resizing fee. If anybody disagrees, please chime in.

Meanwhile, I was wondering, would it be out of line to request a credit toward a future purchase if I can provide a receipt for the resize, which indicates that the ring really was a size 7 and had to be taken down a full size?

At the same time, the future purchase I had in mind will also be a relatively significant expense, and I''m not sure if I want to commit to buying it from the same vendor (should it prove that someone else has a better stone).

I don''t know, maybe I''m splitting hairs. :)
That seems like the best option. Maybe you can get your wedding band through this vendor.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would request the vendor reimburse you for shipping and insuring it back to them.....
since its their mistake, they should have no problem doing that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d take it to one more jeweler to see what size they say it is. If it truly is a 7, then the original vendor may pay the return shpping for you to send it back for resizing. I don''t think they would give you a credit for having it resized locally, though.

I am curious about sizing costs. Is platinum resizing greatly more than gold? I recently had my e-ring enlarged by 1/2 size and it was only $13. I am puzzled as to why it would cost $80 for platinum. That''s a huge difference.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t understand why you didn''t take up this issue directly with your vendor, rather than bringing it to a public forum first.

Had I been your vendor that''s what I would expect, and I would find not being given the opportunity to satisfy your complaint before taking it public unfair and annoying.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I would check with one more store, to make sure the ring is a size 7. If this is confirmed, then I would call the vendor and explain to them that you ordered a size 6, the paperwork mentions a size 6, but the ring is loose and two stores have confirmed that they believe it to be a size 7. If the vendor has made an error, I''m sure they''ll put it right, at their expense. Give them the chance. We all make mistakes and Christmas/New Year is such a busy time for them. I''m sure you can get this sorted out ammicably. GOOD LUCK!

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Gary,

With respect, I have not mentioned the vendor by name and I have not said anything negative about my experience with them, nor do I have anything negative to say, even if this was their mistake. This isn't even a complaint, as such, merely an observation... one for which I took full responsibility, until recently.

I have just discovered this sizing discrepancy and being that it's the weekend, I thought I'd poll some folks around here to see whether my initial thinking on the subject was inline with the majority.

At the same time, annoyed or not, I would hope that the vendor would not let his personal feelings on my approach influence his willingness to accommodate me or suggest an appropriate resolution - or are you suggesting otherwise?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 11:30:41 PM
Author: stermag
Gary,

With respect, I have not mentioned the vendor by name and I have not said anything negative about my experience with them, nor do I have anything negative to say, even if this was their mistake. This isn''t even a complaint, as such, merely an observation... one for which I took full responsibility, until recently.

I have just discovered this sizing discrepancy and being that it''s the weekend, I thought I''d poll some folks around here to see whether my initial thinking on the subject was inline with the majority.

At the same time, annoyed or not, I would hope that the vendor would not let his personal feelings on my approach influence his willingness to accommodate me or suggest an appropriate resolution - or are you suggesting otherwise?
What''s the problem Gary?? It is the weekend, and she wanted some opinions. Geez.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 11:22:18 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
I don''t understand why you didn''t take up this issue directly with your vendor, rather than bringing it to a public forum first.

Had I been your vendor that''s what I would expect, and I would find not being given the opportunity to satisfy your complaint before taking it public unfair and annoying.

The original poster didn''t mention the vendor by name, so I''m unclear why you think it''s unfair she bring this question to the forum. Moreover, it didn''t sound like she was being critical, just unsure how best to proceed.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Just my personal experience, But when I worked (''lo these many years ago) at a B&M, they had a real problem with sizing. People were routinely having to have their rings resized more than once. I was told that ring sizers are not standardized to the degree of being consistently accurate. Even when they bought ring size measuring thingies and ring sizing mandrels from the same manufacturer, the stuff failed to match up precisely. (The things used to measure your finger and the metal things they slide the ring on to measure it).
Then again a whole size difference is alot. Usually it was a half to a quarter off. So I would get it rechecked somewhere else before talking to your vendor and saying they did it wrong.

And just personally, I''d prefer to get my ring sized by the people who made it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can take a ring to 3 different jewelers and have the size being different depending upon how beaten up their mandrels are. I have seen this happen a lot. Best thing to do is to take the ring to one more jeweler to be sure it''s a 7. Mandrels do differ but not by a whole size, that would be most unusual.
2.gif

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2006 12:28:03 AM
Author: Wren

And just personally, I''d prefer to get my ring sized by the people who made it.
Wren,

This did cross my mind. I have recently moved to a new city and am not familiar with any local jewelers. The jeweler I took it to happens to be just around the corner from our house - that''s probably the only reason I chose to consult him.

To be fair, I DID e-mail the vendor when I first received the ring. I indicated that it was loose, but had no way of knowing whether the size was off (I honestly own no other rings). I was hoping they were able to recommend someone in my area who could re-size it for me, but sadly they were not. At the time, paying for two-way shipping and insurance just to have them resize it for me seemed excessive. Besides, I believed the size to be a 6 ... and hence, had no idea what it should even be resized to. I thought I was a 6, you see.

Anyway, this isn''t that big a deal. It''s a simple platinum solitaire and I''m sure I can find a competent jeweler to resize it for me. Sometimes I doubt I''ll even get to wear it before menopause (and I''m only 26!) so I definitely have plenty of time to take care of this before it goes on my finger.

28.gif

Thank you for your suggestions.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Wow Diamondexpert. Saying that a PS''er is unfair and annoying is like the pot calling the kettle black. Stermag did nothing wrong.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely first step is to notify the vendor. Just tell them that the ring was sized wrong and ask what they suggest. I would assume they'd take care of it and resize it for free or offer to pay to have it done locally or something...esp if you can get another confirmation from another jeweler that it is indeed a size too big.

I always believe in discussing things with vendors (ideally first)...sometimes on the forum things get overdiscussed (not really so much here but some other threads) before people even call the vendor or take the potential issue to them. Honesty with the vendor and communication is the best way to go. I'd be surprised if they didn't offer to make it right if the ring truly is a size 7!

Good luck!!

stermag

Shiny_Rock
I doubt many of you are on the edge of your seats waiting for an update on my little predicament, but I thought I would post just for record''s sake.

As suggested by many, I decided to take the ring to one more jeweler and after that, just for the heck of it, to another. Both confirmed the ring was a size 6, exactly the size I ordered.

Turns out I am a size 5. Who knew?

The jeweler who suggested that it was really a 7 must have been having a rough day.
33.gif

The ring is being re-sized, and in retrospect, I''m glad I didn''t bother the vendor... I would have been so embarrassed.
17.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Stermag, thanks for the update. I was wondering only the other day what had happened. It just goes to show it''s worth checking with other stores. The good news is that you''re getting the ring resized and soon you''ll be able to wear it safely. Can we expect some hand pics sometime soon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results