shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring size.........HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Detox

Rough_Rock

Ring size dilema!

Well as posted in a previous thread I now have my e-diamond. Now, I am off to the jeweler with my diamond to have the ring made and the stone set. The problem is determining the ring size.

The setting is going to be a very classic setting, nothing fancy. She currently only wears ONE ring and NEVER takes the thing off. She wears this ring on the middle finger of her right hand. I was hoping to steal it in the night or when she''s in the shower but she never takes it off. The best I have managed to do is playfully take it off her finger and put it on my own finger to gauge the size.

The problem is that this ring is worn on the middle finger on her right hand (not the wedding finger on the left hand). Can there be a large discrepency in size between the two?

I was trying to "eye-ball" the difference between her middle finger and wedding finger on her left hand and didn''t really see a size difference. Would I be able to go to the jeweler and get them to put a ring on my finger that matches the size of the ring she is currently wearing and that would be good enough? If anything I think this method would ensure the ring is slightly too big which is better than being too small. What are the consequences of a ring that is slightly too big?

What I DON''T want to do to find the ring size.

1. Ask her mom
2. Ask her friends for help
3. Ask her for her ring size

This is meant to be a surprise. So I don''t want to ask anyone.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Detox

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Is she right handed or left handed? There is a difference for me btwn those two hands. My right hand, which is the dominant one for me, is bigger than my left middle finger. I can fit my ering/wedding ring on my left middle finger, but the ring only goes to my knuckle on my right middle finger.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ring size isn''t something you can just "guess." If there is no way you can find out w/out giving it away I would suggest proposing with the stone in a temp setting and waiting to put it into it''s perminant setting until she can go in and have her finger sized. I wouldn''t want to guess wrong and have to deal with the trouble of having it resized right away. But that''s me
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I agree with mrssalvo!!! My right hand is bigger than my left. There is no tried and true way of guessing. Most settings can be sized, but to be safe I would choose a temporary setting and then maybe let her choose the setting for the stone. That way she will get exactly what she wants.

ETA: I almost forgot to say congratulations on your new stone!!!!!
36.gif

Detox

Rough_Rock
Grrrrr,

She is left handed. And the ring of hers I tried on she wears on the right hand. Based on your experience I would have to go "up" in size. I think you are right there is too much guess work here. I wasn''t sure what was involved with getting a ring resized but he sounds like a nightmare and could have larege consequences on the setting.

Is it common practice for the jeweler to give a temporary setting until the ring can be sized appropriately?
Should I just flat out ask her for her ring size "because one day I will have to know anyway"?

She knows I am going to ask her sometime within the next year. She doesn''t doesn''t know where/how/when.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2005 9:25:48 AM
Author:Detox

The problem is that this ring is worn on the middle finger on her right hand (not the wedding finger on the left hand). Can there be a large discrepency in size between the two?

There are three sizes between the two fingers in my case (right hand middle about 6, and left ring finger 3). This may not be true n general - I just do not know.

A jeweler might be able to give some advice. Going at least one siye smaller sounds safe - as a simple ring (e.g. think Tiffany solitaire) could be adjusted one or two sizes, as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps a bit.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2005 9:58:13 AM
Author: Detox

Is it common practice for the jeweler to give a temporary setting until the ring can be sized appropriately?
Not sure either... some do this, especially if you bought the stone from them.

On the other hand, you can probably find a setting for well less than $100 ($50?) to use a temp. Choosing a ring setting is usually fun
1.gif
for the future wearer, if this forum is any proof at all.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
You can purchase a simple $90 yellow gold or white gold solitaire in a size 6 (which is supposedly the average size for a woman), that way like MrsSalvo said you don''t have to worry about sizing issues with the real setting. OR you can propose with just the stone....not really my style but some have done it. For me personally, there would be no way for anyone to tell the size of my ring finger based upon my right hand b/c I can''t wear my wedding set on any of my fingers on my right hand, so if I were you I wouldn''t even try to guess. Goodluck and congrats on your new stone!

Detox

Rough_Rock
After talking to the jeweler and getting all of the great responses. I have decided to take a chance on the ring size.

Her hands liiked fairly similar, I inspected her knuckes and this does not appear to cause any trouble. I have tried on her ring which if anything will be the largest possible size.

The idea of giving her a termp ring doesn''t sit well with me. I would rather bring the ring back for a quick resizing. This will ensure I get the proper effect and that she see exactly what she gets when she''s asked.

Cheers,

Detox

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results