shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring size help with Ritani

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kojack

Rough_Rock
My GF and I went to a clocal B&M store to have her finger sized roughly 1 month ago. The jeweler who did the sizing started with a 6 and ended up saying a 5 is perfect. It went on snug and needed a little wiggling to get it off. I just ordered a Ritani Endless Love ring to be made a few days ago and ordered a 5. Should I have ordered a 1/4 higher to be safe? I might be able to make the change. I know its always better to go bigger than smaller.

The reason I am questioning this is because I went to a B&M today to check out the Ritani ring I purchased online. I figured it could be resized bigger or smaller because the pave doesn''t go all the way around but the jeweler told me the band is too thin to be resized. Does anyone know if this is true?

Should I call asap and request a 5 1/4 size or stick with the 5? How reliable and accurate are the sizing rings they use? I really dont want to go back to a jeweler with the GF because I feel she would be on to me then. (She is very bright!) Opinions please!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the sizers vary from jeweler to jeweler. As for being able to size the ring, I don''t see why you wouldn''t be able to size it up a tiny bit, espicially since it''s not full eternity. You might try contacting Ritani directly and asking them..

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
When did you go with your GF? Was it cooler outside? If so, I''d DEFINITELY go bigger, because her fingers will be larger when it''s hot outside. Personally, I think having to wiggle it to get it off is a big too snug anyway, but that''s personal preferance...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could also consider going to a 5 full. But the ring you ordered can be sized. The guy gave you the wrong info saying it''s too thin to size. Especially since if you did need to size it would be a minimal difference in size. HTH. Let us know how it goes for you, OK??

Hamster

Rough_Rock
How funny that you should post about this today! My BF and I ordered the Ritani Endless love setting and I got a message from the store that it came in today. When I originally went into the store to be sized, it was a moderately warm day at the beginning of October, but I don''t think my hands were that swollen or anything. The salesperson had one of those ring sizer things and while the 6 was definitely too small (sausage fingers effect), the 6.5 seemed to slide off just a little too easily for my comfort (I don''t have large knuckles at all, so it has to be a bit snug), so I went with a 6.25.

Anyways, I was out shopping today and was trying on some "fashion" rings and found that 6.5 was even a bit snug (and its cold out!). I totally freaked out and then called the jewelry store back and told them to hold off on setting the diamond in the ring because I was worried that it wouldn''t fit. They assured me that the ring could be resized if necessary (either before or after setting the diamond) because the manufacturer leaves a bit of non-paved metal at the bottom of the shank.

I''m going into the store on Thursday or Friday to try it on and then they will re-size it (if necessary) before my boyfriend "presents" it to me next Friday. I''ll let you know how the process goes and if there are any problems with it.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
When I tried on rings at the B&M store, I was some how able to fit a 6 on my finger, even though I''m a 6.5. The store was very cold so my fingers shrank. Where I live its usually very humid out so I expect some swelling.

I think you should order it a tad bigger just in case. You can always add sizing beads or something later.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There is no problem re-sizing the Ritani rings but it''s best to get it sized properly the first time. There is really no perfect size for most. Seasonal temperature changes, water weight, cycles, all have a effect in your finger size. You really need to have a average climate in which to have your finger sized. Those who live in the north and have their finger size in the dead of winter will probably find in the summer months the ring is a bit snug. Same goes for the southern climates. Ring sizers and measuring sticks also vary. We use a metric system developed by Steven Kretchmer for the rings and a forged measuring stick for sizing the rings to make sure the sizes do not vary and are exact. These are expensive tools but a must for accurate sizing. I have seen sizes vary as much as a 1/2 size from different sets of rings and sizing sticks.

Kojack

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information everyone. Definately eases the mind a lot. Yes, the 5 went on snuggly but not too tight. The Endless Love Ring has a very thin pave band so I''m sure she will not want the ring to be overly tight. A thin band and a tight ring would probably create that "sausage finger look". I believe the weather was somewhat humid out when we did the trying of sizes. My main concern is just for the darn thing to go on when its time to pop the question! Tight or loose, just make sure it is on! I''m somewhat superstitious so if it didn''t fit all the way down on her finger I''d freak a little!

At least it can be resized if need be. So my next few questions are: if the ring must be resized and I purchased it through an online vendor, would I have to send it back to that vendor to have them ship it to Ritani to do the resizing or would they do it at their store for me. If it was up to me I would go to a reputable jeweler where I live to have it done, just to save shipping charges and time but I''m sure I couldn''t do that and keep the upgrading policy where I purchased the ring. I''ll have to ask them. I do know the wedding band contains pave all the way around so that would not be resizable.

Also, do you guys reccommend having the ring appraised asap to make sure I received whats on paper?

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would have the store your doing business with do all of the work. If there is a problem down the road they will be totally, hopefully, responsible to you. Or take it to a Ritani dealer and have them send it to Ritani.

Hamster

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 11:40:47 AM
Author: Kojack

I do know the wedding band contains pave all the way around so that would not be resizable.

Also, do you guys reccommend having the ring appraised asap to make sure I received whats on paper?
Actually, the wedding band has the same little bit of pave allowing it to be resized - at least the ones I saw were that way! We ordered both the WB and ER at the same time, so they will both have to be adjusted. Again, I''ll let you know how that goes (I may have some time to go tonight).

We are bringing the ring DIRECTLY to the appraiser after we pick it up a) to be 100% sure its the same stone (although we had ours laser inscribed with the AGS report number for easier identificaiton) and so we can get an appraisal for insurance purposes. My understanding is that most insurance policies need you to have the full ring+diamond appraised in order to insure it.

Slightly off-topic, but I had asked the salesperson whether it was better to err on the side of too large or too small for sizing. She said that it was an interesting question and that nobody had asked her that before
33.gif
I was especially curious since Ritani leaves that extra bit of metal for re-sizing at the bottom. Not knowing exactly how the sizing process works, I was curious whether the extra bit would be cut down if it was too big (and thus it would be wiser to err a bit on the larger side so that the ring could be "shrunk"). She didn''t seem to know, so I went with what I *thought* was a true size. My inclination is that the ring will need to be made slightly larger - not sure how the sizing band at the bottom helps in this regard.

crispy

Rough_Rock
I''m having the same problem, I''ve even taken to sleeping with a RHR on my left hand in the hopes of "preparing" my finger for the ring. But I think I may just bump it up a quarter size or something. I will be sad if I get it and immediately have to send it back because I can''t squeeze it on
7.gif

Kojack

Rough_Rock
Hamster, I did not know that the w-band could be resized. the one I looked at had pave all the way around but Ritani possibly carries one 3/4 of the way. Congratulations on your ring. Which E-Love setting did you choose? Did you use your own stone or Ritani''s?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
id go with a 5.5 or so 5.25. If it''s too big you can get sizing beads

Hamster

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 1:57:54 PM
Hamster, I did not know that the w-band could be resized. the one I looked at had pave all the way around but Ritani possibly carries one 3/4 of the way. Congratulations on your ring. Which E-Love setting did you choose? Did you use your own stone or Ritani''s?
Kojack-

Here are the rings we got:
1PC1966DRP_big.jpg

3RD1694ARP_big.jpg

I don''t know if you can see it in the WB above, but there is a tiny space where there is no hole (and no diamonds). I am assuming this is where it can be resized? They told me it could be resized when we bought it! I am nervous now
32.gif
, but will get to see it soon and will let you know what happens.

I will go see the rings tonight, so will let you know firsthand what I find. I''ll also ask again about whether it is better to err on side of too big or too small and see what they say about how much the rings can be sized. I agree that you don''t want it so loose that it flies off her finger really easily, but then you don''t want it so tight that it can never be resized to a comfortable fit for her.

We used our own stone, purchased through Bill Scherlag at Icemine.com. I had heard that Ritani wants you to buy their own stones unless you are resetting an existing e-ring, but somehow we were able to get around it. The store is setting the diamond themselves, but I have no idea what they had to do to get the "naked" setting from Ritani. I''ve heard that some people set their diamond in a cheapo setting, scratch it up so it looks "worn", and then send it off to be "reset" in the Ritani setting. You''d probably have to ask the retailer how this all works.

Given what Bill Pearlman said about variations in ring sizing and sizing tools, I wonder if it would be best for you to contact Ritani directly and see if they can give you some information on actual sizing of the rings (i.e. diameter of the inside) so you can compare that to the diameter of the sizing tools being used at the store. Maybe an expert has something to say on this?

Hamster

Rough_Rock
I just came back from the jewelry store to try on my Ritani sets.

Kojack - you are right, you cannot resize the wedding band
7.gif
. It was a bit snug - i wish it were a 6.5 rather than a 6.25. The engagement ring is snug too, but that CAN be resized. While the rings went on and off rather easily, I still felt like I had a bit of the sausage fingers look going on.

I asked the salesperson whether they thought I should resize the engagement ring. She said that she thought it looked ok and that it would be better for them to be slightly tight than risk that they might fall off. However, after wearing the engagement ring for a while, if I felt it was too tight, they could size it up, but ONLY be a quarter size. She also said that if it had been too loose, it could only be sized down by about a quarter size as well.

I guess you should try to be as accurate as possible when picking out the ring and know that you don''t have much leeway either up or down. In the case of the wedding band, you don''t have any leeway!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I have the Ritani rings as well and I find that they are a bit loose right now that the weather is cold and still comfortable in the summer.
I got them size 5.25, since in general I like them to be a little loose. I hate feeling like something is choking me.

Hamster,
Your wedding rings have pave all around them? My wedding rings do not. I actually requested it and had the store where I purchased from write it on the order ( they even drew a picture of how big I wanted the sizing bar to be) because I noticed that depending on the store, some of the wedding bands/e-rings had the sizing bar and some had the full pave. I like things to be symmetrical and did not want one band to have more diamonds than the other.
Also over the years I have had to have some of my rings resized, usually with each pregnancy, so just in case, I wanted to be sure they could be resized. I have gone up from a 4.75 to a 5.25-5.5 currently.
I just had a baby this September and what do you know, it was the first time that my finger size remained the same.
2.gif

Anyway, I would call up the store and ask for a 5.25 and request a sizing bar be left if it will make you feel better. The sizing bar that is in my rings is equal to the length of two of the pave diamonds in the band. You can request them to just leave one diamond out if you want although I think with just one diamond missing, it will look like they made a mistake and forgot to add it in.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to add one more thing.
The sizing bar was actually equal in length to four pave diamonds, but I had a problem with the e-ring and when they remade it, even though they had the wedding bands, they accidently added two extra diamonds to the e-ring.
This made the sizing bar in the e-ring look smaller than the one in the wedding bands.
Because I am a symmetry freak, I eventually had them add two diamonds to each of the bands so that the sizing bars match in length in all the rings.

Hamster

Rough_Rock
Butterfly - its interesting that some endless love wedding bands have the sizing bar and some do not. Now that you mention it, I''m thinking that the sizing bar on the ER vs. no sizing bar on the WB will look funny. Well, I won''t be wearing the WB for a long time and my boyfriend has already offered that we return it and find another solution

Kojack - sounds like you need to double check and make sure you get that sizing bar! I could have sworn the ones I saw in the store had the bar, but mine did not (and I checked all the way around).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hamster,
i wouldn''t throw out the ritani all together. Bill Pearlman said up above the Ritani''s can be sized, maybe call him and find out why what he says is different than you jeweler. There have been a few Pricescopers that have been able to size up their eternity bands 1/4 size by shaving out some of the inside. Also, I know Bill has said the Michael B eterntiy can be sized up or down a touch and that they us a laser. I would definitely find out more first. I''m a matchy gal and think the Ritani Set is one of the prettiest around.

Kojack

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. I havn''t ordered the WB yet and am now considering having it altered to be sizeable. It would be a shame if her WR become to small and she couldn''t wear it during something like a pregnancy. It would even be more of a shame if she couldn''t wear a band due to it not being resizable. I honestly never imagined there it would take this much thought and planning for an E-Ring!

Hamster, how long did it take from the day you ordered your ring to the day it arrived? When I purchased mine, the dealer told me Ritani is always 4-5 weeks out and during the holidays you can count on 5 weeks. I am cutting it so close to that deadline for my proposal that it has me going crazy! 5 weeks would be the 12th of December. Proposal date: 16th. I even put in a call to Ritani''s people stressing the importance of the completion date but I know their isn''t much they can do. Though it did make me feel better talking to someone. So I will wait......just don''t count on me waiting patiently :)

Hamster

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 2:43:50 PM

Hamster, how long did it take from the day you ordered your ring to the day it arrived? When I purchased mine, the dealer told me Ritani is always 4-5 weeks out and during the holidays you can count on 5 weeks. I am cutting it so close to that deadline for my proposal that it has me going crazy! 5 weeks would be the 12th of December. Proposal date: 16th. I even put in a call to Ritani''s people stressing the importance of the completion date but I know their isn''t much they can do. Though it did make me feel better talking to someone. So I will wait......just don''t count on me waiting patiently :)
Kojack-
Ours was ordered on Oct. 6 and it arrived in the store on November 14. If you knock off a week for the time it spent in the store''s distribution center, it was pretty much a four week wait.

Just so you know, Ritani pushed back their delivery date once during the process, telling the store that it would take an extra week longer than what they originally said. Seems to me that they are starting to get backed up for the holiday season already. I would ask your retailer to check in with them in a few weeks to see if the delivery date has changed as that is what happened to us. Also, I don''t know if you are dealing with a chain store or a sole proprietership (we dealt with a small local 4 store chain). If the ring has to go through some distribution center first, that will add to the total time it takes before you have it in your hands. We were on a bit of a deadline as well (boyfriend is flying into the country for Thanksgiving in order to give me the ring), so we were getting really nervous that we might be cutting it too close. The salesperson offered to pick it up herself from the distribution center if it got to be too close, just to ensure we''d have it on time. You might want to ask about this as well.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hamster,
before you decide that you need to get a whole new ring, I would go back to the store and inquire a little bit more about what can be done to resize the ring.
If you want, you can pm me and I will give you the direct number for Ritani and the manager- Ken Sato, who I dealt with and speak to him about what can be done.
I am sure they can resize the ring, but first you should deal with the store where you purchased from and if that is no good, then pm and I will give you his contact info.
2.gif

Also, I got my rings about this time and it took a few weeks, but when they redid the e-ring, it took 2 weeks only and when they added extra pave to the bands in Junw, the turn around was 1 week.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 2:43:50 PM
would be a shame if her WR become to small and she couldn''t wear it during something like a pregnancy. It would even be more of a shame if she couldn''t wear a band due to it not being resizable. I honestly never imagined there it would take this much thought and planning for an E-Ring!

:)

Yes, my original wedding band is not a diamond eternity band, but two toned white and yellow gold and was ordered in size 4.75. I have not worn it for more than 6 years because it no longer fit.

On our seventh anniversary, we purchased new platinum bands and that was originally a 4.75. I eventually had it sized to a 5 and then when I had my daughter, I had it resized to a 5.5!!
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results