shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring resizing: 1/4 or 1/2 size down?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
My ring has always been a bit loose, and I''m debating whether to get it resized 1/4 or 1/2 size down. Besides going to a jeweler (which I''ll probably do soon), can anyone give me a general sense of whether I''ll be able to notice a 1/4 size shift? I''ve already gotten it sized down 1/2 size and I definitely felt that.

Currently the ring is very loose when my hands are wet (to the point where I''m worried it will fall off), and when they''re dry it spins and glides past the knuckle easily (but seems pretty secure). Besides moving horizontally, it also gets tilted vertically (but doesn''t actually change location) if anything bumps the top or bottom prongs of the solitare.

I''ve had a bunch of jewelers size my finger anywhere from size 4 to 5, so I figured I''d get some good advice here. I love my ring so much, and it freaks me out that it doesn''t always seem secure. Thanks so much!

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I think from what you have said, you would be looking to go down by half a size. You really would notice the difference.

Blod

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you go directly to a good jeweler, one who does their own bench work, they will remove 1/4 size and ask you to try on the ring. Just like a good shoe salespaerson, they will advise you on if the ring fits well or they may suggest removing a bit more until it is a perfect fit. So long as your fingers don''t swell or shrink a lot on a frequent basis, they can help you to make it perfect. Don''t guess. Use an expert''s advice.

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Peony Girl,

If competent jewellers have measured your ring size as ranging from 4 to 5, then your fingers probably "shrink or swell" enough that you would be best off with sizing beads. You might want to ask your jeweller if medium sizing beads would work for you.

Going with a compromise size (like 4 1/2) without sizing bumps will give you the worst of both worlds: On hot days (when your ring size is 4 3/4 or 5), you will need to lubricate your finger to have any chance of getting your ring off. On cold days (when your ring size is 4 or 4 1/4) you will have the looseness problems you mention in your post.

When I got my class ring, the ring manufacturer told me to go with a compromise size: 7 1/4 instead of 7 or 7 1/2. After several years, I got tired of the ring being loose sometimes, and needing spit, twisting, and yanking other times. The ring manufacturer has a good warranty, which includes free resizings and restoration of the dark finish. So I recently had the ring manufacturer resize the ring to an 8, had my local jeweller install large sizing beads, and had the ring manufacturer restore the finish to what it was before this work started. (I made sure that the ring manufacturer was OK with this before starting the process -- otherwise, it would have voided the warranty.) It took me a couple days to get used to the sizing beads, but now the ring feels more comfortable and secure than it ever did before.

-- Jasper
http://www.folds.net/diamond

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
jasper, I have a feeling they weren''t too competent because I also had them measure my actual ring which I was also told varied in size between stores. Ugh.
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 1:45:05 PM
Author: peonygirl
jasper, I have a feeling they weren't too competent because I also had them measure my actual ring which I was also told varied in size between stores. Ugh.
3.gif

Actually, this is very true. Some jewelers use what is called a mandral (sp) to measure by while others use actualy rings that are based on the metric system I believe. I had one ring that measured 3 1/2 at one store and only 3 1/4 at another. Same for a ring that was 3 1/2 plus measured a solid 3. All that to say not all measuring tools are uniform or alike
1.gif

I think Dave's advice of going to a place that has the bench jeweler there to size you is the best option.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i had my rings sized up 1/4 and it made a huge difference and now in winter they are a little too loose but in summer they get really tight. so your fingers do fluctuate alot, i would recommend getting it sized down 1/4 size and then wearing them through various seasons to see what the thought is.

also keep this in mind, when you add a wedding ring onto the e-ring, it makes them tighter. this is why i had to get my rings sized up a bit, they were driving me insane with how tight they got after i added the w-ring whereas before my ering on it''s own was actually loose and would spin. two rings seem to fit tighter than one. my ring size is a 6 but i had them sized up to 6 1/4 but the other day i tried on a friend''s ring who is 5.75 and it fit just fine and i had no problem getting it on or off, it felt just like my ering in size. so fingers can be kind of all over on the size scale IMO, but i think the most important thing is how YOUR RING is fitting and experimenting with it to make it fit right, not just about what ''size'' it is. good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results