shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Problem!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I am definitely happily engaged....but we got this ring online and at first I was definitely excited because well we''re engaged after3 1/2 years! So a few days ago we finally got the ring appraised because Im totally clumsy...not that I plan on loosing it, we just would like to get insurance on it....so the ring was appraised 3x more than what my FI paid for it....which is great, but ok, here''s the problem....

Specs that we were given from vendor:

1ct centerstone
I1 clarity
E color
.12ctw sidestones
18kt whitegold....

After we got the appraisal here are the specs that a very well respected jeweler in our neighborhood gave us:

Centerstone : .95ct!!!!
Clarity: I1 ( and it had a hidden inclusion that I didnt know about...)
Color: I!!!
the rest is the same...

But ok, when they called me about the other inclusion, I totally flipped out! I mean it''s not as big as the other one, but I kinda felt cheated....Im not trying to be mean, but it totally sucked....and then for them to tell us that it was under a carat and that it wasn''t E color!!!!
29.gif

I have to say that when I looked through the loop I did see a few arrows
9.gif
but I just felt so frustrated! It must have really strong blue flouresence or something because this thing is white! (which honestly, for my upgrade I totally want like a K! ) Coatimundi- I love your K solitaire
30.gif
!!! But ok, I want to know what you all think.....Should I not be so mad...would you? The jeweler said that you get what you pay for- and I guess thats true.....And I know I really shouldnt be complaining because we''re both still in school....but I hate it when people aren''t honest with me... I mean Im sure we still would have bought it even if we knew what we know now, but it''s really an honesty thing....

myeringhandshot.jpg

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Hi 04diamond<3! Firstly, I would recommend getting an independent appraisal, not one from a jeweller - potential conflict of interest issues. Secondly, I am not sure what the laws are like in the US, but here in Australia, you are entitled to a refund if the goods don''t match the description given by the vendor, so you may be entitled to your money back. You must be happy with your ering, and you sound like you aren''t totally happy. You also need to have confidence in your vendor. If I were you, I would be taking the written appraisal and the ring back to the vendor, getting my money back and starting again. There are many respected vendors around that you won''t have problems with. I am sure you are nervous though about buying online again, however if you want help, feel free to post what you are looking for and your budget and I am sure many will chime in with ideas and hekp.

Good luck, I really hope you can come up with a solution that makes you happy!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
You poor thing
7.gif
*hugs*

I can understand that you must be feeling incredibly upset and cheated. I don't think you are being silly or unreasonable at all - I would feel exactly the same if I were in your situation.

Do you have the stats of the diamond in writing from the vendor (perhaps in an email from them, as you bought online)? This would really strengthen your case in getting matters sorted out.

Obviously you have your appraisal in writing, so I would email a copy of this to the vendor and (calmly) explain how upset and disappointed you feel that your stone is not of the quality that you were sold.

What would you like the vendor to do about it? Be clear in your correspondence what you want.

Would you like a full refund? Would you like to exchange it for a different ring? Or would you be happy for the vendor to swap the centre stone over for another stone of the quality you originally paid for, whilst keeping your original setting?

If you know what you want it can be much easier to get a successful outcome from these types of problems, as you can present the vendor with the solution as well as the problem.

Again, in the UK, you would be entitled to a full refund (if that was what you wanted) if the goods you bought were not as described. However, it may be that a refund is not what you are looking for - and you will most probably find that the vendor is happy to work with you to make sure the problem is resolved to your satisfaction.

Clearly there is a significant difference in the value of a 1ct, E colour stone, versus a 0.95 ct, I colour stone (given that the cut grades are equal)... and at present you have been short changed.

If you would like any help in phrasing or writing your email to the vendor, I would be very happy to oblige. :)

x

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
get yourself right away to an indie appraiser! So sorry this happened to you, but you need to get that diamond appraised properly...and then carry on with whatever needs to be done. Good luck to you!!!
36.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand your frustration....

Who was the original cert from? If not GIA or AGS, the stone could be off from what you thought you paid for. Not uncommon. As for the size, it is also not uncommon for a diamond to sell as a 1ct, when it falls within the range of lct. Not fair, but it happens. That is why it really helps to stick with a cert from a top lab.

As for the appraisal being 3x higher and the new report being 4 grades lower, that is not good. Was it an independ. apprais? You wouldn''t want to pay an insurance premium on a 3x higher report when it won''t match the quality of a replacement, should you loose the ring. Meaning you will pay a higher premium to insure, but insurance company will replace your ring with an I I1 of thier choice. And you could be unhappy with thier replacement after paying a higher premium...

How long has it been since you purchased the ring? Are you still in the return period? Is that still an option for you?

missmg9

Rough_Rock
Formulate exactly what you want the outcome to be, and don''t even bother emailing - go straight to the source. Get on the phone and don''t give up until you''re talking to whomever can fix this for you. Keep going above whoever you''re talking to. They''ll bend over backwards for you when they see you''re serious. If it doesn''t get resolved, contact the BBB. The company WILL fix this for you. Don''t take no for an answer!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m taking it for granted that you don''t have a cert for your stone because the GIA and AGS don''t make those types of mistakes. Having said that...... I can copy this in it''s entirety later for you if you''d like, but on the back of my Jewelry Judge appraisal, our FTC laws pertaining to the sale of uncertified diamonds is outlined. Protected by FTC rulings, a seller can be two color grades and two clarity grades off from what it really is and still be safe. In other words, if they told your boyfriend it was an E, it could really be an E, F, or G and still not be doing anything illegal. If your stone is really an I, you are within your rights under our laws at least, to return that stone for a full refund IF you have the stone appraised by a GIA GG Appraiser and bring them the paperwork to prove it. If you push the issue? They''ll have to either replace your stone with a true E or refund your money.

I''ll have to look up the carat weight issue, but if my memory is correct, sellers can be off by .05 pts. and still be protected by law. That''s also for uncertified stone.

Having said all that?? Unless you have an extreme personal attachment to that stone, I''d take it out of the mounting, which you''ll have to do anyway to get a true evaluation of color and clarity, and bring it back to the jeweler and just stand there refusing to leave until he makes things right! Frankly, I''d take the money and storm out of the store. Muster up your courage and create a small scene if you have to. Then come back here and all of us can search for stones for you through any of the countless reputable vendors we''ve all used in the past. You''d probably be completely blown away to see what a true E looks like, although I am positive that a well cut certified G orH, even down to an eye clean SI2 would make you very happy.

Sellers of uncertified stones COUNT on people not knowing what they''re buying or else they wouldn''t be able to sell what they sell!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry you are upset. However, am I remembering correctly that you got a REALLY good deal on that ring because the stone was uncertified? A .95 is going to be very close to the eye to a 1 ct., so I assume this is about "mind clean"? I also remember that you loved it. If you are thinking of upgrading in the future, and you think you may still want a "warmer" stone, I would keep what you have. Or, if it really bothers you, take it to an independant appraiser, one that would not potentially benefit from making you unhappy with a stone you bought elsewhere. Maybe I am just gullible, but I would not start assuming that your vendor intentionally lied to you.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Did the appraiser actually take the stone out of the mounting to get those specs? If not, then it''s just a formula they used for the weight, which could make it be off, and it''s harder to judge color when mounted as well.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you might have more peace of mind if you get a 2nd appraisal, then share them both with your vendor and ask for a refund - start over with someone more trustworthy. the carat weight is not bothering me as much (altho there''s a premium to really be at or ABOVE 1 ct), but the color is way off. They didn''t sell you what they said they did. Just my thought, but will you feel OK with all this if you don''t confront the vendor?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

It's absolutely horrible that a vendor would sell you a stone off by four color grades! It's difficult to imagine that an appraiser would see an E colored stone as an I, but more understandable why a vendor would claim it is! This is exactly the reason I would only buy a certified stone!
2.gif

At any rate, what is the vendor's return policy and how much time do you have left?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
O4diamond--so sorry that you're feeling this way!

The person who did your appraisal is a jeweler? I'd take it to get it independently appraised by someone who is not in sales.(I'm sure your jeweler is great, but an independent appraiser will have no motives to sell you anything)

Carat weight--did he take your stone out of the mounting to weigh it? Appraisers can assess the weight without doing so, and sometimes the weight can be a bit off. My only concern is that you paid for the 1 carat mark when it was just under. Please take it to an independent appraiser.

3 times what you paid--You don't want your ring to be overinflated when you insure, because you'll be paying for insurance premiums that are too high. A good appraiser will give you an accurate number for your insurance company.

Color being off--That would make me very unhappy too. Once you get it reappraised, if the new appraiser says it's an I color, take it back to the jeweler you purchased and tell him he misrepresented his merchandise. An independent appraisal may give you some leverage. (Are you past the return date?)

Did your stone have a cert?

Does your jeweler have an upgrade policy? If you want to upgrade in the future, you can wear your lovely ring until you do so
1.gif

I think your ring is lovely, and I don't notice any inclusions in your photographs. I just see a sparkly white diamond! But I do know that information like this would change how I see and feel about my ring.

Again, sorry that you're feeling bad, as I'm sure it was a shock!
(thanks for the compliment about my ring! You are so sweet!)

Coati
1.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
wow - it seems weird that they would give you stats on a diamond that are lesser than you thought...but then give you an appraised value that''s 3x more than you paid? That makes no sense. I''d totally start over again with an independent appraiser, like everyone else said.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I would be upset, too. I''m sorry that the vendor gave you bad information. I mean E vs I??? That''s quite a bit off..... There''s nothing wrong with I, there is something wrong with misrepresenting the color to a customer. I''m glad you got a good deal, but I would be frustrated also. For what it''s worth, it''s a pretty ring!
4.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else-take it to an independent appraiser. Being three color grades off and pricing it three times over what you paid for it seems strange.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, that''s a substantial difference in colour. I agree with taking it to an independent appraiser just to double check.

Your ring is beautiful, I particularly like the prongs. I do hope that it all works out for you. Please keep us updated.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 3:12:36 PM
Author: Addy
Oh no, that''s a substantial difference in colour. I agree with taking it to an independent appraiser just to double check.

Your ring is beautiful, I particularly like the prongs. I do hope that it all works out for you. Please keep us updated.
Ditto.

And I just want to add that your nails are really pretty and that your ring looks great on your finger!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the replies! Im not unhappy with my ring! I am very fortunate to have a ring like this it''s just that I thought I was getting something different!!!!!

As far as where we got it appraised, this guy has been doing this for over 30 years! and to be totally honest, we paid like $1300 for it and it appraised for just under $4000. I know we got an awesome deal which is why im not taking anyone to court...I still feel a little cheated.....because of all the great things I had heard about this vendor.....I guess my question would be should I say anything to him or should I just let it be?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2008 3:41:04 PM
Author: 04diamondThanks for all the replies! Im not unhappy with my ring! I am very fortunate to have a ring like this it''s just that I thought I was getting something different!!!!!

As far as where we got it appraised, this guy has been doing this for over 30 years! and to be totally honest, we paid like $1300 for it and it appraised for just under $4000. I know we got an awesome deal which is why im not taking anyone to court...I still feel a little cheated.....because of all the great things I had heard about this vendor.....I guess my question would be should I say anything to him or should I just let it be?
That is a bit of a difference, so I can understand your frustration...you stated that you are NOT unhappy with your ring and that you know you got a great deal, so I guess that it really just depends where you want to go with this and how far. No court, fine...but what is it that you DO hope to accomplish by saying anything? I am not arguing your point...just weighing your options.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 3:41:04 PM
Author: 04diamond<3
Thanks for all the replies! Im not unhappy with my ring! I am very fortunate to have a ring like this it''s just that I thought I was getting something different!!!!!

I think you should absolutely give him a call. I feel pretty confident that there was NO intentional misrepresentation. I read the ad to this particular ring and it was made pretty clear that it wasn''t one of their rings or to their standards, hence the incredibly low price. I really think you should take it to an independent appraiser for an unbiased opinion and at least give the seller an opportunity to defend himself.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I know what was said about the ring before he sold it to us, and I''m not like totally hearbroken that this happened...but I feel like even if it wasn''t printed by them that we still should have been given an honest description about it...like I said, Im really not trying to cause any trouble, I just wanted to share my frustration if thats ok...and Im sorry if Im being rude, Im really not meaning to be...

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2008 2:43:32 AM
Author: 04diamond<3
I know what was said about the ring before he sold it to us, and I''m not like totally hearbroken that this happened...but I feel like even if it wasn''t printed by them that we still should have been given an honest description about it...like I said, Im really not trying to cause any trouble, I just wanted to share my frustration if thats ok...and Im sorry if Im being rude, Im really not meaning to be...
I don''t think you''re being rude at all. I just think you''re putting a lot of faith in a jeweler''s opinion rather than giving the seller a chance. I can totally understand your initial shock, but get to the bottom of it and find out what really happened! You''ll feel so much better!

Good luck.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
In the picture your ring looks pretty darn white. I wouldn''t sweat the numbers because you still got a pretty fair deal. The only reason I''d worry about the appraisal would be to get the proper amount of insurance, and I agree with the others who said you should get an independent appraisal.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Did you pay the $1300 for the setting AND the center diamond? That seems like a fabulous deal. Honestly, I''d have been suspicious of such a low price.

At any rate, the vendor misrepresented the ring and you should post in the Rocky Talk about the vendor as the goal there is for consumers to trust who they are purchasing from. JMO. (we always read about the GREAT vendors, but not as often about the so-so ones.)

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Yep, I agree, and later on if you want a different center stone I bet you could put one in that setting. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results