shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring had its satin finish polished off!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My friend's husband bought a satin-finished ring from Signed Pieces. He took it to a local store in Bethesda to be resized, and when it came back, the satin finish had been polished right off to a nice shiny look! They said they needed to melt down the ring to size it, rather than compressing it as I know can be done.

Two questions- is the store responsible for this, since as far as I know, he didn't get them specific instructions to NOT polish it away, and also, what can be done to put the satin finish back on?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
It''s not a big deal at all to put the satin finish back on. It just means using a different brush on the polishing wheel. They definitely should not have returned it to him without restoring the satin finish, but it''s an easy fix.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt they melted down anything. It could just be a new ring.

Every jewelry shop seems to have its own different trademark ''satin finish''. It comes from a different brush on the same lathe that does the bright polish they have already done.

Some methods yielding rough and interesting finishes may involve all sorts of abuse, but the pictures at Signedpieces looks pretty ''normal'' - a fine matte finish without any further twist.

It can''t be that hard to have it redone as you wish and it should not take any time at all.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 He should have sent it back to SP for resizing, but that''s spilt milk. One would think that a satin finished ring going in for rezing would come back with a satin polish. He should have been contacted once the ring was going to be melted in order to be resized and the appearance was going to be altered. I would have your hubby''s friend call Isaac tomorrow for instructions. Let us know what happens. I''m sorry, these things just drive ya nuts.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
One more thing not related to the satin finish, but I noticed for the SP rings, there is a HUGE price jump btwn 5 and 6mm. I just put in a size 8, and at 5mm it''s $182 and at 6mm it''s $326. Anyone know what could account for that difference? The jeweler told her that she got totally ripped off and she paid twice as much ($300). I certainly hope that''s not true.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2005 10:19:18 PM
Author: Logan Sapphire
One more thing not related to the satin finish, but I noticed for the SP rings, there is a HUGE price jump btwn 5 and 6mm. I just put in a size 8, and at 5mm it''s $182 and at 6mm it''s $326. Anyone know what could account for that difference? The jeweler told her that she got totally ripped off and she paid twice as much ($300). I certainly hope that''s not true.
All I can say is that I''ve experienced several jewelers who say things like this because they are angry that someone did not do business with them. Or they are trying to make sure that for the next big purchase, they will buy from them and not with SP again. Any comment about price and how the jeweler could have done better should be ignored IMO. It''s very easy after the fact to say, "oh, well I could have easily beaten that price." Hence why we suggest having a ring appraised by an independent appraiser.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have heard that above a certain diameter and width bands are cast instead of stamped and the price goes up a lot at that point.
One of the experts can comment for sure but I recall hearing it someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results