shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Design Part 2

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
So I have been trying to determine how high this setting would be off my finger with a 3-3.5 carat stone. This photo has a 3.5 carat, and it looks as though it sits as low as possible within the basket itself. After some discussion with another PS-er, we thought maybe 8mm from the tallest point.

If you look at my ring (the one with the measuring tape), the tallest point is about 7mm, but if you look closely, the diamond does not sit all the way in the setting. With this detail in mind, I actually don't think upgrading to a 3.5 carat with the new cathedral would sit that much higher than mine does at the moment? With the average 3.5 carat stone roughly 6mm in height, my guess is that with the bridge of the new setting I'm considering, it may add an additional 2mm (guessing at max the bridge is 2mm).

The vendor who designs this ring will NOT sell the ring separately without purchasing a diamond with it, so, that is not something I will be pursuing. I did however find an image from one of their videos that shows the CAD rendering of the ring itself. Although it does not have any measurements, is there any way to determine the size of the bridge in scale to a 3.2 mm band (this is the measurement of the actual ring in the other photo).

I have an appt on Monday to look at settings, I highly doubt they'll have one with a 3-3.5 carat available, what I would like to do is have an idea before going what this may look like off the finger and decide if I should pursue the ring and stone combo together. I had tried on a 4 carat at Tiffany's, the basket was so high off the finger, I don't even know if I disliked the 4 carat, or if it was the setting, but it really turned me off.

In any event, any feedback or thoughts of how high you think this is would be appreciated!

*Below is cathedral with 3.5 carat with the setting
*My current cathedral w/ measurement
*Their CAD rendering of cathedral in first and fourth photo
*The cathedral on its own to see the bridge
ring13.jpg measurement.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot (282).png
    Screenshot (282).png
    114.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
So I have been trying to determine how high this setting would be off my finger with a 3-3.5 carat stone. This photo has a 3.5 carat, and it looks as though it sits as low as possible within the basket itself. After some discussion with another PS-er, we thought maybe 8mm from the tallest point.

If you look at my ring (the one with the measuring tape), the tallest point is about 7mm, but if you look closely, the diamond does not sit all the way in the setting. With this detail in mind, I actually don't think upgrading to a 3.5 carat with the new cathedral would sit that much higher than mine does at the moment? With the average 3.5 carat stone roughly 6mm in height, my guess is that with the bridge of the new setting I'm considering, it may add an additional 2mm (guessing at max the bridge is 2mm).

The vendor who designs this ring will NOT sell the ring separately without purchasing a diamond with it, so, that is not something I will be pursuing. I did however find an image from one of their videos that shows the CAD rendering of the ring itself. Although it does not have any measurements, is there any way to determine the size of the bridge in scale to a 3.2 mm band (this is the measurement of the actual ring in the other photo).

I have an appt on Monday to look at settings, I highly doubt they'll have one with a 3-3.5 carat available, what I would like to do is have an idea before going what this may look like off the finger and decide if I should pursue the ring and stone combo together. I had tried on a 4 carat at Tiffany's, the basket was so high off the finger, I don't even know if I disliked the 4 carat, or if it was the setting, but it really turned me off.

In any event, any feedback or thoughts of how high you think this is would be appreciated!

*Below is cathedral with 3.5 carat with the setting
*My current cathedral w/ measurement
*Their CAD rendering of cathedral in first and fourth photo
*The cathedral on its own to see the bridge
ring13.jpg measurement.jpg

Update** I spoke with another designer with the almost identical setting, they suggested 8-8.5mm in height for a 3-3.5 carat with that setting. They said the bridge is roughly 1.3-1.4 mm. My guess is that even though the diamond sits fairly low in the basket, there is still some metal to consider that attaches to the actual bridge, which would increase the height ever so slightly.

So 6mm for the 3.5 carat, 1.4mm for the bridge, and maybe 1mm give or take for that additional bit of metal. I think that makes sense...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results