shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Design Musings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Have been toying with the idea of getting a ring custom made - as well... what I''ve seen around hasnt tickled me so far... and while I''ve plumbed alot of effort into finding out about the stone... I didnt want the ring to be an afterthought...

I had seen a particular design on a UK website, but havent seen it elsewhere. So i thought while i had a bit of spare time at work I''d knock something up. plus the clasp detail on the origonal design I wasnt too happy with, and again wanted something nobody else would have, so have attempted to try and alter it slightly.

This is the origonal design:

0_4_2_l.jpg

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
And here is my Cadded version top down:

ring top.GIF

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
And the 2 side views. one with an open back, other with closed back.

the clasp is a 2 prong front, keeping the ring held against a wishbone at the rear - so kinda half tension set, have in a clasp, like the origonal design, but with an alternate design of clasp. - I want to leave the diamond as open as possible.

I suppose I should note that I intend the ring to be in Platinum, and drawings are scaled for a UK ''O'' sized ring, US size I think is 7, and the Diamond is a 0.308ct measuring 4.40-4.43X2.64

Waddo you guys think? doable? - I been priced about £200 for a replica of the origonal design... dunno how that would compare.

ring side 2.GIF

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and just for comparison - the side view of the origonal design, so you can see the clasp detail.

6side.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its definatly do able.
I think I like the orginal better however.
I like how the diamond looks like it fits inside the ring instead of hanging 1/2 out.

Add a half eternity wedding band to close off the orginal design and it would look awesome.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love, love that thing! Superbcert used to advertise exactly the same... perhaps they still have a source for these settings
2.gif

And there are some versions out there too, including these.

eor10a.jpg

eor8a.jpg

You might want to explore the source (www.intergem.jp) for the exact match.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks...

I take your point... put a bit more layback on the ring to bring the stone back inside, like the origonal...

There is a wedding band to match, which I believe isnt too difficult to do...

3_5_0_l.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id put the wedding band on the other side to encase the diamond.
The double contoured look on one side looks too wide to me.
It loses the flowing look.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What would work is to take your design and make a matching band that has a cut out for the diamond and some accent stones.
But then you get a more conventional look to the finished design.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Aye, I think I''ll leave is as a simple, solitare setting, rather than add accent stones... thats about as far as my budget goes...

Still look to the future - who knows...

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2005 9:11:12 AM
Author: valeria101
I love, love that thing! Superbcert used to advertise exactly the same... perhaps they still have a source for these settings
2.gif

And there are some versions out there too, including these.

eor8a.jpg

You might want to explore the source (www.intergem.jp) for the exact match.
oo I do like that one... and the way it sits on the finger in the other images accompanying it on the site www.intergem.co.jp tho i think i prefer the look with the 2 clasps, but that one is certainly VERY nice

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i must confess i dont care for this modern/contemporary setting style so I ask does your fiance have a style she likes? just a thought as i would be most disappointed with a style of mounting that wasnt my thing

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... yes, windowshopper is right. I did get carried away about this one, but it''s not a "safe bet" style. Surely you knwo the wearere and we do not, but... would it feel very wrong to either ask for her prefference or present the stone in an inexpensive, temporary setting ?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree with window. this style is simple and elegant, but it is more contemporary and wouldn''t appeal to everyone. if your s.o. hasn''t specifically stated that she wants that style of ring- be careful!!

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks... certainly good advice.

Fortunatly I''m one step ahead of ya
2.gif

When this started becoming a real possiblity we headed out round all the jewellers in the area so she could give me an idea of what rings she liked. And as we where looking, the rings we where pointing out to each other as the ones we liked, where the ones the other liked.

Tho she did have some ''wants'' which a) was a smallish stone >0.5cts b) that the stone wasnt too pround - so no settings like that royal crown, or tiffany iv seen around here... Anyway, one day surfing I came accross www.cooldiamonds.com where this one, but has a fair few to choose from and i liked this one. So, then, I sat her down to have a look and see if she liked any of the designs - and that was the one she choose - saying that was the design she REALLY liked.

And since there doesnt seem to be a way of just getting the ring from CD.com with out a diamond, we came on the idea of getting a bespoke ring made... plus I wanted to make the diamond seem more open at the front, compared to the origonal design. - Everything goes through ''She Who Must Be Obeyed'' tho i get to choose the moment of suprise
2.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2005 3:26:23 AM
Author: Lord Summerisle
Thanks... certainly good advice.

Fortunatly I''m one step ahead of ya
2.gif

When this started becoming a real possiblity we headed out round all the jewellers in the area so she could give me an idea of what rings she liked. And as we where looking, the rings we where pointing out to each other as the ones we liked, where the ones the other liked.

Tho she did have some ''wants'' which a) was a smallish stone >0.5cts b) that the stone wasnt too pround - so no settings like that royal crown, or tiffany iv seen around here... Anyway, one day surfing I came accross www.cooldiamonds.com where this one, but has a fair few to choose from and i liked this one. So, then, I sat her down to have a look and see if she liked any of the designs - and that was the one she choose - saying that was the design she REALLY liked.

And since there doesnt seem to be a way of just getting the ring from CD.com with out a diamond, we came on the idea of getting a bespoke ring made... plus I wanted to make the diamond seem more open at the front, compared to the origonal design. - Everything goes through ''She Who Must Be Obeyed'' tho i get to choose the moment of suprise
2.gif
and we doubted you.....

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
hehe... like you said, you dont know her and her tastes... so tis certainly sage advise - us men can get it sooooooo wrong most of the time lol.

And I would hate for the occasion to be marred by her puking up over the ring design
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
''She Who Must Be Obeyed''

smart man.......
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2005 8:57:29 AM
Author: Lord Summerisle
hehe... like you said, you dont know her and her tastes... so tis certainly sage advise - us men can get it sooooooo wrong most of the time lol.

And I would hate for the occasion to be marred by her puking up over the ring design
2.gif
LMAO, I just watched an old episode of Sex in the City last night, and that is exactly what Kerry did when she accidently found an e-ring that Aiden had picked out for her
40.gif
-- definitely not the response one would hope for.
2.gif

Your doing a marvelous job, Lord Summerisle, seeking the input of your SO.

DiamondLil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results