shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring design ideas, I think I''ve got it.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musicman948

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, what''s up?!

Been doing some research this past week, looking and designs and what-not, and have come to the conclusion of the design I want. Perhaps you guys can help me find a similar ring design. Attached is the design I want. It''s the Tiffany deco-inspired ring. I LOVE how the square cut diamonds on the edge lead up to and complement the solitaire. Unlike the Tiffany solitaire with channel diamonds setting, it doesn''t look quite so busy, the square cut diamonds keep from overshadowing the brilliant round in the middle. To me, my perfect setting.

HOWEVER, what''s not perfect is Tiffany''s simply OUTRAGEOUS price on this masterpiece (15,000 dollars!) . I''m assuming it''s because this one must start at a high total carat weight for either the center stone, side stones, or both; compared to the solitaire with channel diamonds. Also, if I had to be picky, I wish it was a 6-prong setting, although I believe that might get in the way of the square diamonds leading up to the center stone, thus why they chose a 4-prong setting, so perhaps it''s not all that bad.

Anyways, unless this is a typo (which is a good dream to have) on their site, or my stocks do INSANELY well (again, not happening) there is no way in hell I will ever be buying this ring from them. However, that doesn''t mean I can''t have it custom made :)

Does ANYONE know of any supplier or jeweller that sells a setting like this, square diamonds with a round diamond center stone? I would really like to customize one with this setting and put an H&A round in the center that I pick out. Might even want to look at the Solasfera as a possible candidate for the center stone, although I haven''t seen these in person, any thoughts on how that might look? My other thought is to go to a custom diamond jewelry shop in my town called Captivations, I''m sure they could replicate this design since they make their own designs and customize jewelry for others, however, this could come at a premium as well that I''m trying to avoid in order to buy the biggest stones possible. PLEASE let me know if I can find this look anywhere else, I would sell one of my kidneys to buy this setting, but I STILL don''t think that would be enough to buy it from Tiffany & Co., especially when I could build it with diamonds of better quality myself. Please let me know, thanks!

engagement_other_deco.jpg

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Musicman,

I love
30.gif
love
30.gif
love
30.gif
love
30.gif
the Tiff. Deco setting.
Apparently - it's becoming quite popular; the Tiff's in my neck of the woods has had many requests to see it.
(
1.gif
Damn, other people like what might be my ring! Erg! So much for uniqueness.)
I'm going to drag my BF to see what he thinks.
You haven't seen it in person?

Here's a brief description:
It's amazing! The band just sort of shimmers, while the center sparkles.
I wouldn't have thought of this combination but it works! It's very complimentary.
Very clean, but not austere - very unique, yet classic - and not at all boring.
It's spectacular.

I haven't really seen anything like the Deco Setting yet.
I would think there are a number of vendors that could put this together for you.
Facets is beginng to show some shanks with asschers/sq. ecs.
I think another vendor like, whiteflash, quest manufacturing, could put something together with your exact specifications.

Hope this helps...

Scintillating...

engagement_other_deco2.jpg

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I would go the custom route. I think you'll find that it is less expensive than you fear. And you'll be able to pick your own stones. Show this pic to Captivations, and some of the vendors here who do custom work. Personally, I love the 6 prong look, and that's what I would pick for the center. Good luck!

The huge pricetag on the Tiffany ring is because...well- they are Tiffany. It has nothing to do with total carat weight, etcetera. They are a premium brand, they charge premium prices.

musicman948

Rough_Rock
As for Tiffany's prices, MrsFrk, I do agree with the name brand markup. Tiffany seems to insanely markup their emerald cut stones. However, I still believe this ring is marked up more because of its unique design, as well as the fact it seems it requires more TCW to pull the whole design off. Anyways.....

Saw one at James Allen that was similar......

http://www.jamesallen.com/build_your_ring.asp?module=setting&cid=58&item=285&name=1217#

Pretty damn similar, eh?!

Not quite perfect, but nonetheless. Only beef with this knockoff is the stones don't "flow" into the center stone like the Tiffany, and I think the James Allen center stone sits a little high in the setting, also a lot of metal on the sides of the setting as it heads up to the center stone due to its rather high placing. Thoughts? Got better knockoffs? Send em to me!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
It's set with princesses, different look. I'm not terribly fond of that type of head, or setting.

I agree with Mrs. Frk - Show some people the pics, get some quotes. You might be surprised at the prices quoted. See what you think. Know your options before settling! You'll could end up with something high quality, and closer to what you envision.

Tiffany settings are nice because they are so finely finished and polished. (I'll probably get flamed for saying that.) Something custom, made for you, could be equally well made. I could someone like Mark Morrell making a setting like the the deco one.

Any thoughts on a budget for your project?

Scintillating...

musicman948

Rough_Rock
Ahh yes, did notice more of a brilliant sparkle rather than the glassy look I liked on the sidestones of the Tiffany. That was why, Scintillating, stupid me, not checking the cut type!

Ummm, as for a budget, I''m trying to stay in the 2-3k range, but that might be hard if I start going to a custom design, although I should check before making such a blatant statement I suppose. I know Captivations will want to supply the diamonds, if I supply them they will tack on more for setting them, of course. I was wanting to go with a .4-.5 carat center stone, and I could stay under 3k with a setting price like James Allen''s and a .4-.5 carat stone. Would want to go with 14k white gold or Platinum for the metal.

So, any ideas on good custom designers for a good price in or around St. Louis? I would prefer one that I could physically drive to and look at the ring before purchasing, although if there was a good designer that was out of one-day driving range (5 hours to get there, tops) that had good prices and a good return policy if I didn''t like it when I received it in person, I''d go for that too.

Also, if anyone finds a setting like the deco-inspired Tiffany online, don''t hesitate to let me know!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
That ring is SO gorgeous!!!! Wow!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps some details will be harder to get (=the graduated size of the the stones on the shank), but the overall look not so.

Just ask the seller of your diamond if they can make or recommend someone to make such a setting for you. Having small accent asschers or square baguettes or even french cut diamonds is not such an exotic thing.

And ask Signedpieces if they have something: there is at leats one ring with asschers set int he band there already.

This sounds like 'custom work', but that in itself usually means better prices than 'designer' brands.

Best of luck! The ring is wonderful!
9.gif

BTW. I've seen one like this, just can't remember the site for the life of me. I'll look it up... All I remember is that those were antique reproductions and originals, with both old and modern cuts and some with (relatively rare) graduated french cuts on the shank - something I would prefer to the step cuts in the Tiffany ring.
Perhaps someone else remembers this sourcein the meantime - you get a 'ususal' pool of sources on this forum (as on any other, really).

In the meantime, take a look HERE. Those are French cuts on the shank allright and the ring is quite close to what I had in mind, bar the double prongs and the shape of the basket holding the center stone. And, well, I still believe you can do allot better with a custom project.

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 4:53:20 AM
Author: valeria101

BTW.
I''ve seen one like this, just can''t remember the site for the life of me. I''ll look it up... All I remember is that those were antique reproductions and originals, with both old and modern cuts and some with (relatively rare) graduated french cuts on the shank - something I would prefer to the step cuts in the Tiffany ring.
Perhaps someone else remembers this sourcein the meantime - you get a ''ususal'' pool of sources on this forum (as on any other, really).
This version can be found at www.singlestone.com.
It''s similar in principle, but different enough due to the bezel.

1.40_HVS1_EUROs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results