shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring decision help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mmmmm

Rough_Rock
Ok, I have been doing my homework for a while now and pricescope has helped me A LOT. I thought I was set on buying a diamond on blue nile but then I went to C R Jewelers (first off, has anyone out there dealt with them). It was the first place that I found prices that were slightly comparable to blue nile. I am looking to spend around 2500 for a .75 princess cut (not including the setting). At blue nile I can get something around an F or G color with a clarity of around SV2, GIA certified. The guy at C R Jewelers bought in a bunch of diamonds to show me and we narrowed it down to 2 diamonds which were listed as G, SI1 (one was 0.71 and the other 0.81) but they are not certified. I have not seen enough diamonds to determine if these are completely correct but from what I could tell the color and clarity seem reasonably marked (I could only see very small incursions looking through the loop) and when comparing them to an E color diamond, I could not tell a difference. Over all they both appeared to be very nice diamonds with nice fire and have depths, and widths similar to the "very good" cut listed on blue nile. The question is, I feel like either way I go there is some risk involved, from online I do not get to see what I purchase before hand (but they do have a return policy) and from the jeweler I get to see the diamond before I buy but it is not certified. What would you doooo???? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
If I was in your position I would not buy an uncertified diamond. Just an opinion, though.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 10:53:13 PM
Author: jasontb
If I was in your position I would not buy an uncertified diamond. Just an opinion, though.

same here

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely think twice before buying an uncerted diamond, mmmm. Why the hurry in choosing a stone? Are you proposing on Valentine''s Day and need to buy something this weekend? Let us PSr''s know...we are here to help!

mmmmm

Rough_Rock
The store that showed me the diamonds has to send them back if I do not decide to buy in the next few days. So if I go with online then there won''t be a huge rush. After searching online there are so many out there I do not want to read tooo much into the numbers when it may not be necessary. Are the following facts true about princess cuts:

find a cut with a depth around 70% or slightly less

table% should be slightly less than the depth%

I was told there is no "IDEAL" dimensions for a princess cut but mainly personal preference

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=315389

This one showed up in the "in-house" diamond search on Pricescope''s main page

.73, G, SI1 $2432 4.98x 4.83 mm ... how does that compare?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
i am by no means an expert,
but here is what I think.

- Get the best you can for a fair price.

I think there are a few things that are important to consider when making a purchase like this:

-Will this jeweler let you buy it, have it appraised and then return for a full refund if you are not satisfied with what you learn at the appraisal?
If the answer is "no" then I wouldn''t buy it.
-Is this a complete surprise for your GF?
-Do you know what size stone she likes... (For example, if she wears other rings now, pay attention to the size stone.)
-Are you or she dead set on certain things, ie. clarity (no less than such and such) or color (no less than such and such)

When I got engaged in 2002, my bf and I did a certain amount of research and knew nothing beyond the 4 c''s. I knew what shape for sure (princess) and that I wanted channel set princesses.
I received a gorgeous and sparkling .74 F VS2 in a channel set. I have recently upgraded that center stone to a Radiant 1.53 J, SI2 ( totally eye clean, if you can believe that!)

I f I could start again from square 1, I would not go with a VS stone, but definately in the SI''s bc you save money there, and to me the clarity is still good.

While I NEVER EVER thought I would go below a G-H color, I was presented with this J by a jeweler and had it placed side by side with others of better color and had a very hard time picking it out cosistently.

Sorry I am rambling here,but I think the bottom line is, don''t rush. Once my hubby knew he wanted to ask me to marry him, he was off to the races to get the ring done.

Hope this helps a little!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
BN does not and that is why they are not one of my favorites. Whiteflash and GOG will offer much more info.

Also, you can see your diamond before you buy it if you go with either of the above online vendors. They will ship a diamond that you are interested in to an independent appraiser in your area so you can see the diamond and then make a decision.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
If he buys from Blue Nile, he gets the Ps discount doesn''t he?

mmmmm

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, I am definatly going to buy online..........now just have to decide what site, haha. I''ll figure something out.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2006 11:11:49 PM
Author: mmmmm
The store that showed me the diamonds has to send them back if I do not decide to buy in the next few days. So if I go with online then there won''t be a huge rush. After searching online there are so many out there I do not want to read tooo much into the numbers when it may not be necessary. Are the following facts true about princess cuts:

find a cut with a depth around 70% or slightly less

table% should be slightly less than the depth%

I was told there is no ''IDEAL'' dimensions for a princess cut but mainly personal preference
go look at some AGS 0 cut "ideal" princess.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Dancing Fire & Jasmine...

AGS has come up with a set of criteria for ideal that is well regarded, and you should check them out.

Also, vendors like WF and at least G0G will not only carry these, but let you return them after seeing them with an authorized local independent appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results