shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring: 1 day old, and I already broke it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
I was examining my new ring under a microscope at work this morning, and I noticed a chip in a crown main facet of my sapphire!
When looking at the ring from a normal viewing distance, it isn''t noticeable. But at about 6 inches away, it''s definitely visible with the naked eye.

I just got this ring yesterday at lunch - how on earth did I manage to mess it up already?!
I was working in a lab environment - playing with screwdrivers and hardware and such. But I didn''t think I had to baby my ring that much, considering people wear theirs all the time doing all sorts of things.

AHK!
I''m feeling totally bummed and guilty!
14.gif

I emailed Richard Homer to check if this was a pre-existing condition because somehow I think that would make me feel better (at least it would alleviate the guilt!), but I doubt it.

Sympathy would be appreciated. Scoldings would possibly be deserved.
Or maybe a good knock on the head so I can just forget about it!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2007 12:16:51 PM
Author:lsyama

Sympathy would be appreciated. Scoldings would possibly be deserved.
Or maybe a good knock on the head so I can just forget about it!
Only sympathy from me... I know that must be a terrible feeling
7.gif

Hopefully it can be polished out or remedied some other way.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow. That sucks. I bought a gemstone once, and when the package arrived, I opened it, went ''WOWEE!'' and promptly dropped it and chipped the heck out of it. So I know the gist of how you feel. But that wasn''t my e-ring.

But I would definitely, definitely check if it was pre-existing. Seems unlikely that you chipped it the first day. I would also definitely not wear it in a lab while you''re playing with hammers and stuff!

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks poshpepper and independentgal

I had emailed fi about being bummed and he wrote back:
"I''m so sorry that you''re bummed sweetie-pie. I think it looks marvelous. Maybe you just need to look at your ring like you look at me. You like us in spite of our defects."

3.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it was already broken when you got it???

well, I hope they get this fixed or you cna find some peace with it. but do be careful...word on the street is that even diamonds will break with a good hit of a hammer.

Hardness is not the same as being tough. The marketing has really mislead us on that one I believe....

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2007 1:50:46 PM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards
well, I hope they get this fixed or you cna find some peace with it. but do be careful...word on the street is that even diamonds will break with a good hit of a hammer.

Hardness is not the same as being tough. The marketing has really mislead us on that one I believe....

D''oh! And I was using it as a hammer!

In all seriousness though, I had no idea (and still don''t really) of how fragile gemstones are.
Fi jokingly asked if I need to get a protective overcoat... maybe not such a bad idea
14.gif

I''m glad he''s not upset though

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry, what a bummer! I will cross my fingers for you that it can easily be polished out.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, I''m sorry, that sucks.
8.gif
Sapphires are generally very sturdy, I agree. I hope something can be done about it.

Diamonds can be chipped by far less than a hammer WHFSR. My husband has his grandfather''s antique diamond ring. It is about a .50ct OEC stone. Apparently the day grandfather got it, he was showing off to friends how it could scratch glass. Well, apparently it just chipped instead. And has remained so for the last 75 years.
11.gif

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2007 2:54:29 PM
Author: lyra
Diamonds can be chipped by far less than a hammer WHFSR. My husband has his grandfather''s antique diamond ring. It is about a .50ct OEC stone. Apparently the day grandfather got it, he was showing off to friends how it could scratch glass. Well, apparently it just chipped instead. And has remained so for the last 75 years.
11.gif

23.gif

I''ve always been curious about that, but now I will remember NEVER to try it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw your ring; it is gorgeous. I am so sorry. Can it be fixed?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lsyama I am so sorry to hear this! I hope Mr. Homer will be able to help you out, if even only to tell you that you weren''t the one to chip your beautiful sapphire!

I know I said it in your other thread, but your ring is absolutely STUNNING, and I hope you can somehow get this problem fixed.

ice_princess

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/21/2007 12:45:48 PM
Author: lsyama
Thanks poshpepper and independentgal

I had emailed fi about being bummed and he wrote back:
''I''m so sorry that you''re bummed sweetie-pie. I think it looks marvelous. Maybe you just need to look at your ring like you look at me. You like us in spite of our defects.''

3.gif
That is just the sweetest thing...
emsmile.gif

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Relief!

I just heard back from Richard Homer, and it''s not a chip!
He says it''s a "pre-existing inclusion which is really just a small surface expression of a small feathered inclusion in the gem."

I''m so glad to know I didn''t already mess up my gemstone, but I will definitely be more mindful of it!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2007 12:23:18 PM
Relief!

I just heard back from Richard Homer, and it''s not a chip!
He says it''s a ''pre-existing inclusion which is really just a small surface expression of a small feathered inclusion in the gem.''

I''m so glad to know I didn''t already mess up my gemstone, but I will definitely be more mindful of it!
Thats great news! Did you send the ring back to him, or was he able to tell you that from a picture?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very relieved to read that you didn''t damage your new Homer sapphire. I guess Richard knew about this sapphire''s birthmark. Okay.....so where the picture thread? (tapping foot)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2007 12:55:01 PM
Author: Chrono
Very relieved to read that you didn''t damage your new Homer sapphire. I guess Richard knew about this sapphire''s birthmark. Okay.....so where the picture thread? (tapping foot)
Check out LIW. It is a beauty!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2007 12:57:01 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 9/24/2007 12:55:01 PM
Author: Chrono
Very relieved to read that you didn't damage your new Homer sapphire. I guess Richard knew about this sapphire's birthmark. Okay.....so where the picture thread? (tapping foot)
Check out LIW. It is a beauty!!!
What's it doing in the LIW section? It should be in the SMTR section. Move thy butt over there and post the pics!
11.gif
Not to mention it also deserves a spotlight in the coloured gemstones section too.
9.gif

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
poshpepper - He said he remembers the inclusion from when he polished the stone

Chrono - I posted a few photos in LIW, link here
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2007 1:07:56 PM
poshpepper - He said he remembers the inclusion from when he polished the stone

Chrono - I posted a few photos in LIW, link here
1.gif
I just checked out your beautiful ring. WOW! So glad it is just fine. Now you know. I hope you can enjoy that beauty without worrying too much. But I probably wouldn''t wear it around the lab (or cooking, cleaning, gardening, camping, hunting, and so on). Once you are married, I suggest you get a plain metal ring to wear while doing those things.
1.gif

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Fly Girl!
Great suggestion about a plain band for "high-risk" activities - I think I will end up doing that.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Like WOW!!! that is a beautiful color of blue, and I love the ring.

shay

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Shay!
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results