shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium Plating Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of getting some simple white gold leverback diamond earrings to wear for my wedding, but now that I am wearing a yellow gold necklace, I don''t want to spend all that money on yellow gold earrings (I NEVER wear yg normally). How easy is it to just get yellow gold rhodium plated? Will you be able to tell that it is yellow gold that has been plated, or is all white gold essentially yg that has been plated? I just want to know if that is going to look at all funny after being plated, in which case I won''t bother getting expensive earrings, or if they will really just look like wg earrings in the end. Also, how much does rhodium plating cost? Where can you get it done?

Thanks!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a bunch of my yellow gold jewelry rhodium plated and that was maybe 5 years ago and they are still bright white. The cost is minimal. I think my solitaire diamond necklace cost $25 to plate.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehe thanks Kaleigh! You noticed my new thread instantly!
3.gif

So now when you look at those pieces they really look as if they were intended to be white gold? That is veeeery promising!! And cheap too! Is this something most jewelers can do? Can you tell if a jeweler is good or bad at it, or is it really easy? Does the yg have to be a specific karat in order to have it work properly?

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I've had a few YG pieces rhodium plated and you could never tell that they were YG to begin with. They turned out awesome.

I've had both 14kt and 18kt YG rhodium plated; I was never told there was a certain kt that should not be done.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I know that some people here on PS have had their YG rings plated, and they ended up looking like yellow spotted rings
2.gif
Of course, there are so many factors, including the use of the jewelry, how your body reacts with the plating, etc.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I usually go to the jewelery exchange place near my house and it only cost $10 per piece.
I recently had a ring that I purchased on ebay rhodium plated and they had to do it a few times because the rhodium would not take. When I got the ring, I had to redo it once more because it still looked yellow to me.
2.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
can you borrow some earrings for the wedding?

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 3:38:22 PM
Author: kaleigh
I had a bunch of my yellow gold jewelry rhodium plated and that was maybe 5 years ago and they are still bright white. The cost is minimal. I think my solitaire diamond necklace cost $25 to plate.
Kaleigh, where did you get it done, if you don''t mind my asking? (I live in the D.C. area.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results