shape
carat
color
clarity

Review of my buying process (WF, GOG, AGA)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

weevenge

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Not too long ago, i posted a message asking all of you guys to help me choose 3 diamond i shortlisted, eventually i followed my heart and got the bigger more value for money diamond. The buying process has been kinda anxious and exciting and wasnt exactly what i had imagined, although i have got my diamond today i would like it to appraise by my local appraiser and then set on to a ring.

Okay to cut the story short, here is the reviews of the parties involved.

My buying process

1) Shortlisting
2) Select my diamond
3) Send for appraiser before payment
4) After payment, wait for parcel to come
5) Parcel arrived in SG and collected.
6) Going to send for local appraiser appraise(To be done)

I first shortlisted 3 diamonds and they were from whiteflash(the one i eventually buy) , and other 2 from GOG

Initially as i am totally new to these things i spend tons of time on pricescope and reading on the internet, i also emailed for more info regarding the diamond i shortlisted with the vendors.

I must say whiteflash is the fastest in reply to my emails and its give me a sense of security and their efficiency, it makes me feel they are professional. To buy something for over 4k USD on a tiny stone is a heart stomping decision to make, therefore they score points when i was reviewing which diamond to buy. Without a doubt WF initial response was good, but after payment made and replies to my email were significantly much slower or not replied. I eventually had to call them to enquire about the delievery of my diamond when 2 weeks past since they instruct the appraiser to send the diamond to me. Overall the customer satisfaction is there, but there are also negative points like they had forgot to send me a ringbox when i request for one.

AGA appraiser, basically the same thing, everything was fast response until the point when i make my payment, after which the replies is also significantly slower . When i realise WF had not send me a ring box when the stone was still in AGA procession, WF offered to speak to AGA and request them to ship a ring box together with my stone, again that was not done, and i was told that the guy responsible for my diamond was away on sick leave and the girl who shipped it out missed it. Overall they were professional and also when i request for 2 appraiser from their company to review my stone, they oblige as well.

(NOTE: The feeling they give me which is slower is purely based on my experience and not nessesarily they purposely replied slowly after i paid for my goods and their services, the above is purely from a customer stand point of what these vendors makes me feel of them)

GOG was the other vendor i contacted and i must say their response was slower than WF and there was once i did not get a reply and had to send a second email to remind them regarding my previous email for them to reply. But Johnathan was indeed a very professional and a true businessman, the initial responses from his staff was abit lacking, but there was one stage he took over and his advice and dedication to make his potential customers can be seen in his replies. He also took the effort to follow up with me to see if i had buy my diamond and if everything was alright after i told him i had brought my diamond from WF. Would seriously consider them the next time when i get my next diamond.

Overall, the whole process has been quite smooth and nice until when i recieve my parcel today, it was wrapped in a padded ~ A4 size envelope, i had a shocked when i see it, it look like it has been through a war zone as it was quite crumpled, and there was "scratch" marks all over the envelope. But the content in the envelope was fair intact as it was not damage or fold. As WF gives out free diamond loupe, scope , tweezer , they were all packed into the envelope and there were signs of the diamond being sqeeze against all other content in the envelope. (the thin paper which was used to wrap the diamond has deep dots being implanted by the diamond shape edges)

I am puzzle why it was not sent via box and at the same time , why is there no proper casing for the diamond and it was just wrapped in thin papers. I would be sending my diamond to local appraiser for a look to verify the cert numbers and its grading and at the same time check for any defects the diamond might have sustain during the trip ( i hope its fine )

thank you for reading my long and naggy review.

Regards
weevenge

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well I am glad you are pleased with the diamond. During the time your diamond was in the office every one of my staff got very ill. Every day or two another person could not make it in to work for several days. In this busy time of year, we sort of fell apart. We like to do our best, but each appraiser on staff attempts to handle their individual clients independently for a number of good reasons. The primary reason is to provide individualized service according to the exacting needs of the client. The weakness here is if that appraiser gets ill, the details may be less than clear to the next in line. We've been doing these services a long time, but keeping them customized for each client is a difficult task. Sometimes a slow down or an inefficiency appears, but it is not in any way connected with having been paid or not. Some of our best service has been to people who never paid us at all. We do some things gratis for nice folks, and other people just don't pay their bills.......they aren't in the "nice folks" category any longer.

I hope you have gotten squared away with the packaging you needed. We'd be glad to send you a ring box or a diamond paper for your use if you still need it. Just email [email protected] He will handle it promptly. Just copy this message to him so he knows what its all about.

Best of luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Every diamond I have ever received that has been wrapped loosely in the diamond paper (and I have gotten a few just wrapped in paper, so it seems common) even packed super carefully in 10 envelopes etc, still leaves the culet marks on the paper from pressure...don't worry, a little pressure won't hurt the diamond. They are pretty strong.
5.gif
I don't know if there is a loose diamond box or anything out there.

Fabulous review. Okay now pictures??

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I asked once about the WF packaging method (I was expecting a box) and John told me it is because theives always target the small boxes, so sending it via their method is safer. I trusted their method, so when I sent the diamond to be set, it was in the exact same paper/envelope setting... and nothing happened, so I''m thinking they were right. Can''t wait to see pictures!

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
I bought a loose diamond from a vendor recommended on this site last week. The loose diamond was mounted on what I will call a temporary 4 pronged ring. It was placed in a beautiful black ring box. The ring box was placed in a made to fit white cardboard box. The cardboard box was placed in a shippng box which was placed inside a slightly larger shipping box. The ring was protected like fort knox.

Kevin

weevenge

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

David; Yes it was quite nice feeling to recieve the diamond, but the sight of the package turns me off (its has been sitting in the dump after i emptied its content, but during the trip home from the post center, it was sitting beside all the way and it makes me feel uncomfortable the whole time.

One suggestion for you david, use the auto reply features of your email provider and get your staff to use it if they are away on leave or your company is closed for the holidays. I was lucky enough to experience chris being sick and at the same time colliding with thanksgiving, we dont do thanksgiving here in SG and i didnt know it was thanksgiving over at US until, WF inform me.

The package method utilized by your company should really changed, from a consumer point of view (no offence) i would not patronize AGA until i am sure my future diamond is taking "first class". Other than the package incident, i think you guys have done a great job. Hopefully my diamond is fine, coz from naked eye it seems fine , not too sure about it under the pros eyes, so i am still getting it appraise locally. (Please dont get the wrong idea, it was part of the plan from the start regardless of packing)

P.S: Please pardon me for giving you such direct opinion and suggestions, i like your services and i would love to patronize you again, that is why i hope you can improved on these areas.

Mara: hahahaa , i hope they are fine too , but i cant seems to get it off my mind until i am very sure. ;-)

Ally: When i was collecting my package at the post center, the lady at the counter commented that this must be an expensive item since it was so light and INSURED ITEMS was stamp all over the place, so i believe thieve would not target box specifically

cheers

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
I am presuming that it was at the local post office (which is of course not affliated to USPS) that you picked up your package. So this begs the question - does the insurance cover continue even when the package had changed hands to the local postal service, and only ends when the receipient signs for the acceptance of the package?

recran

Rough_Rock
That''s so weird that your responses from your WF contact were slower after you paid. Denise (my contact at WF) was sooo excited to hear my reaction to the diamond that she was emailing me faster! lol She was so sweet and helpful - let me take my time figuring out exactly which diamond I wanted to call in and then didn''t complain a bit when I dumped that one when they got a better one in house. hehe I JUST WISH I COULD GO AHEAD AND HAVE MY RING!!! (DH is making me wait till Christmas.)

I hope you and your soon-to-be FI enjoy the diamond!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some diamond vendors supply very high quality packaging and others supply a diamond in a diamond paper or a plain box. No frills is generally the way suppliers package their stones. We tend to ship them in the same packaging that comes to us. We always use a new outer shipping package, but nothing fancy is inside unless the source of the diamond supplied it. We have always figured that the diamond, the mounting, and our report are the main ingredients to a satisfy a consumer. Apparently packaging for this client would have made him happier, but for most others, the inner components are the prime concerns.

We have yet to ship a diamond that became damaged in shipment. We know how to ship jewlery and gems. We''ve used the same packing materials since I started in 1967. Now, with overnite service so much improved, nearly every delivery is made with USPS Express Mail handled by their agreement with Fed-Ex and our private insurance. Fast, safe and fully insured.

The comments about email autoresponders is a point well taken, but it is quite rare to have a day go by where mail goes unanswered. Consumers are ALWAYS able and requested to cc me, [email protected] with any concerns or problems. I read my email several times EVERY day unless something exceptional is going on. I will personally take care of any unusual problems.

weevenge

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Just to add a note to what david has replied, no doubt it is what the content inside the package which is important (anyway it is what is inside that is being paid for), but from a consumer point of view, paying a few thousand dollars for a product, the package tells a thousand words about the effort the company takes to make its customer happy in the course of delivering it (in this case only the appraiser fees and shipping, few, not much and reasonable considering that they are the experts and the pros here), the packaging and delivery is still part of the service.

Imagine going for your honeymoon in a nice and faraway place but end up taking budget airline for the entire 10+ hours trip to and fro ..it will defintely leave a lasting impression.

just my 0.02cts thoughts

weevenge

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/15/2005 1:04:47 PM
Author: oldminer
We have always figured that the diamond, the mounting, and our report are the main ingredients to a satisfy a consumer. Apparently packaging for this client would have made him happier, but for most others, the inner components are the prime concerns.
I totally agree. I think weevenge is not accustomed to this common practice in the diamond trade. Diamond paper is all I see all of the time, and at best, the plastic casing with see-through cover and light blue base.

Comparing with set jewellery in B&M diamond stores is not comparing like with like.

I have a solution to alleviate your concern, weevenge (tongue in cheek
9.gif
) - buy more diamonds for the lucky lady, and this would normalise for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results