shape
carat
color
clarity

reusing a setting after a ring cut off

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeannemkelly

Rough_Rock
I had my engagement ring cut off (swollen knucke from arthritis). Can the setting be repaired if the shank was spread very far apart and damaged at the channel where the baguettes sit?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably only a jeweler is going to be able to tell you for sure, but I'm going to stab at a guess and say...probably not. Sorry. Do you have pictures of the damage as it looks now?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pics would be helpful. Sorry it had to be cut off.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 5:55:15 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Probably only a jeweler is going to be able to tell you for sure, but I''m going to stab at a guess and say...probably not. Sorry. Do you have pictures of the damage as it looks now?

ditto FG, not sure they can fix the setting, but might be able to reuse some of the sidestones?? You do need to ask a jeweler to be sure. so sorry, we''ve had a few pricescopers that have had to do the same thing, so not fun...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
OH I am sorry about your ring...and your discomfort.

There is a new thing made just for you ...and people like you. They take a ring, shank that is... and it is hinged...you can actually disconnect the circle...and place it on as if it were a cuff...then hook it back together...VIOLA it is a ring again. No one would be the wiser...you really don''t know about its TRANSFORMER state until it is actually uncuffed.

I am sorry that I don''t know the name...but if no one here can help tonight ...I will call the jewelry store I saw it demonstrated and get the information for you.

We don''t want you to have to cut it again!! I am sure that was too tramatic.

DKS

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 5:55:15 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Probably only a jeweler is going to be able to tell you for sure, but I'm going to stab at a guess and say...probably not. Sorry. Do you have pictures of the damage as it looks now?
Thritto. Sorry you had to get your ering cut off. BTW, Welcome to PS grammyjeanne!

DKS, I'm interested in knowing the name of that transformer ring too. My mom has problems with her swollen knuckles as well. I'd love for her to be able to wear her ring without it spinning all the time and her having to use soap and water to take her ring off.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
SNLEE...after reading my post, I realized my words can be misunderstood in the design of said transformer.

The hinges are positioned as numbers on a clock face ....at 3 and 9. So your center stone/diamond is positioned at noon. The bottom of your shank therefore is 6 o''clock.

The top half of the ring looks normal...but the shank opens to allow the finger to escape. The bottom half also looks normal, you can barely spot the craftmanship...genuis engineering that the hinge entails.

I will call the stores tomorrow and attempt to learn the skinniny.

DKS

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
DKS, my grandmother had one of those put into her ring. it''s some type of hinge but I don''t know the technical name either.

jeannemkelly, you might also ask your jeweler about a buttefly spring/horseshoe sizer, it moves so you can get your ring over your knuckle but then tightens around your finger once in place..

TR_edited.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ok...found out most jewelers can order from this manufactuer. There are bands and new styles available. Why don't you use this opportunity to get an upgrade? My jeweler said you ring may be able to be fitted with this feature, it would have to be seen first-wasn't aware of your baguettes I skipped that detail to your post.

Hope this helps. I tried to include a photo in this post, so you wouldn't have to go to the link to see what we are talking about...but I hope everyone does take a peek, because I be you know someone who may benefit from this option.

http://www.superfitonline.com/

DKS

here is pic...I tried to insert it...oh poo, I failed. I am a loser-hate technology. http://superfitinc.com/intro/ring3.jpg

snlee

Ideal_Rock
DKS, I know what you meant but thanks for the further explanation. Thanks for the link too. I will definitely check it out.

jeannemkelly

Rough_Rock
The device you are all speaking about is called the "Finger Mate" and yes, I plan on getting this put on when I have it redone. I am going to a second jeweler today for an opinion and then to the original jeweler, so I will let you all know.

I would like to have a new setting, but of course my husband is taking it personally - you want to redo the one I picked out!!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Grammy Jeanne! Let us know what your jeweler says. And it''s sweet that your hubby''s so attached to your setting. Romantic!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results