shape
carat
color
clarity

Return or sell?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
I received the green cushion tourmaline from Barry today. Although I do like it, it''s dark for what I want. I haven''t looked too closely at it; I''m basing the current decision on my gut instinct. But I will carry it around to see it in different lights today.

I''m torn between returning it to him, or trying to sell it on DB. I think that someone would buy it...but then again, this stone sat on Barry''s site for months.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don''t want it, isn''t the easiest road to return it?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karee- have you posted the pictures of the stone yet? I''d be curious to see though just love oogling over colored stones
30.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 4:17:35 PM
Author: TravelingGal
If you don''t want it, isn''t the easiest road to return it?
Probably. In a way I feel bad returning it, though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t feel bad about returning it. It’s all part and parcel of doing business, which I''m sure Barry understands.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I''d say return it! If you don''t love it, send it back. So far Barry has been really nice about my returned stones(only a few-compared to the # I have actually kept), I figure that is why they offer a return policy to begin with :)

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for being the voices of reason. Barry is so nice and I didn''t want to offend him. I''ve only ever returned one stone, and not because I didn''t like it -- because it was the exact same color as one I already had [but didn''t look that way in pictures].

How does the refund work? Does he just send it back to you on PayPal or is it credit to buy future stones?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 4:19:47 PM
Author: D&T
Karee- have you posted the pictures of the stone yet? I''d be curious to see though just love oogling over colored stones
30.gif
Ha ha :) I am just finishing up some revisions to my dissertation [can you tell I''m procrastinating??] and will try to get some pics before the sun goes down.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2009 4:24:43 PM
Author: karee888
Thanks for being the voices of reason. Barry is so nice and I didn''t want to offend him. I''ve only ever returned one stone, and not because I didn''t like it -- because it was the exact same color as one I already had [but didn''t look that way in pictures].

How does the refund work? Does he just send it back to you on PayPal or is it credit to buy future stones?
The money is credited to you CC or account.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand why people are worried about offending the gem cutters by returning a stone. Just return it. Barry will refund you through paypal or credit card, depending on how you purchased it. You should not worry at all about offending him. Take it from someone that has returned far more than she's ever kept!! I wish I had all those S&H fees back, I could buy the Hope diamond with them - LOL!!

If you do get a paypal refund, you need to log into your paypal account, and request a transfer of funds so that your $$$ will get transferred to where it came from (your bank account, or another credit card). I personally don't like it sitting in my paypal account.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 4:32:43 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I don''t understand why people are worried about offending the gem cutters by returning a stone. Just return it. Barry will refund you through paypal or credit card, depending on how you purchased it. You should not worry at all about offending him. Take it from someone that has returned far more than she''s ever kept!! I wish I had all those S&H fees back, I could buy the Hope diamond with them - LOL!!

If you do get a paypal refund, you need to log into your paypal account, and request a transfer of funds so that your $$$ will get transferred to where it came from (your bank account, or another credit card). I personally don''t like it sitting in my paypal account.
I''m sorry you think it''s stupid to not want to return stones. The way I see it is, he put the time into buying the rough, cutting the stone, and photographing it; therefore, he''s invested in his product. I tend to be proud of things I invest in. So yes, it does cross my mind that he could be offended at my return. Is it irrational? Perhaps, but I am the type of person who care about stuff like that. I know people return stones all the time, but I don''t. I''m sure he won''t be mad if I return it. But if I could for sure sell it to someone else without him knowing that I wasn''t happy with the stone, I would.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
You are to worried about what he will think...that doesn''t matter..it''s what you think and if you don''t like it then return it..you are the customer...Barry knows you will come back and buy another stone in the future...I am sure he would rather you be happy then not happy..that is the price of doing business..I would send it back with a note apologizing for the return so it makes you feel better and is not just a "here you go don''t want it" thing...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I suggest you return it. I have a stone from him that I didn''t return but had no use for. It''s been sitting on DB for a week or so.

I have only ever returned one stone (not to Barry but another popular vendor). I sort of regret it since I now have a great setting for it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2009 5:22:02 PM

Date: 8/5/2009 4:32:43 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I don''t understand why people are worried about offending the gem cutters by returning a stone. Just return it. Barry will refund you through paypal or credit card, depending on how you purchased it. You should not worry at all about offending him. Take it from someone that has returned far more than she''s ever kept!! I wish I had all those S&H fees back, I could buy the Hope diamond with them - LOL!!

If you do get a paypal refund, you need to log into your paypal account, and request a transfer of funds so that your $$$ will get transferred to where it came from (your bank account, or another credit card). I personally don''t like it sitting in my paypal account.
I''m sorry you think it''s stupid to not want to return stones. The way I see it is, he put the time into buying the rough, cutting the stone, and photographing it; therefore, he''s invested in his product. I tend to be proud of things I invest in. So yes, it does cross my mind that he could be offended at my return. Is it irrational? Perhaps, but I am the type of person who care about stuff like that. I know people return stones all the time, but I don''t. I''m sure he won''t be mad if I return it. But if I could for sure sell it to someone else without him knowing that I wasn''t happy with the stone, I would.

Karee,
I never said I thought it was stupid to not return a stone. Sorry if you thought I sounded harsh or judgementall, but it was not meant to be that way. You''re obviously a very considerate person, but you are also a consumer, and if you''re not happy with something, I don''t care what it is, or how much time has gone into making and marketing the object, you should get a refund.

I actually think vendors are more worried about people sharing their dislike for their stones on PS, then if they just return it without any mention made in this or other forums. That still shouldn''t stop you from sharing your experiences though.
2.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I have purchased quite a number of gemstones from different vendors and I have only ever returned one. Not because I don''t want to offend the seller,but even though a gemstone didn''t turn out to be what I expect, I almost always ended up keeping it because there''s always something that about the stones that attract me, it may be the colour or the sparkle. I always end up going "ooh, that''s very pretty too, I can use that for a ring or pendant... etc". It doesn''t mean that I don''t love it, somehow I still love those that I wasn''t looking for in the first place. Also, some of the gemstones aren''t very expensive, so I keep them as they can be great gifts if set in silver.

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Of the last 3 stones I''ve purchased from different vendors, I''ve returned 2 of them. I felt bad, but knew my wallet would feel much better with the money returned
9.gif

I''ve been looking at that tourmaline since he posted, but was always worried that it might be too dark.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 6:54:46 PM
Author: Barcelona
Of the last 3 stones I''ve purchased from different vendors, I''ve returned 2 of them. I felt bad, but knew my wallet would feel much better with the money returned
9.gif

I''ve been looking at that tourmaline since he posted, but was always worried that it might be too dark.
I showed it to my husband when he got home, and he LOVES it. Go figure -- he''s always said "meh, it''s fine" to all of my other stones that I love!

I do like it, it just can''t be used for what I wanted it for. So I can keep it and get a different setting...maybe the same setting as the pink cushion tourmaline I have. I''ll have to decide soon...we''re leaving for Lollapalooza tomorrow and will be gone till Tuesday.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2009 6:54:46 PM
Of the last 3 stones I've purchased from different vendors, I've returned 2 of them. I felt bad, but knew my wallet would feel much better with the money returned
9.gif

I've been looking at that tourmaline since he posted, but was always worried that it might be too dark.
I only felt bad about the $$$ I could have saved on shipping.
emcry.gif

I must have a different eye for color than some vendors. I swear, they will tell me a stone is a GIA gemset super vivid color, and I get something with less vivid color. For example, I was recently told by a vendor that a spessartite I was interested in was a GIA gemset of pure Orange 4/5
3.gif
31.gif
, and it was acutally more like a Yellowish Orange of 3/4
14.gif
. Ugh!!

It actually kind of upsets me that some vendors are either not forthright with color, or they do no not know how to judge color properly. Or maybe it's me, and I'm just color blind?
33.gif

As for Barry, his vendor photos are very accurate, and I think he's very honest when it comes to color. I still do see grey in stones that he doesn't see, but that's another story. LOL!! Either way, he's a great guy, very honest seller, and is not easily offended. You can't be tempermental in this business because people will go elsewhere. No one wants to deal with a tempermental vendor (except for Leon
2.gif
).

Anyways, if I'm on the fence about a stone, there's a 99% chance I'll return it. Life is too short, and money is too scarce to live with something that doesn't make you 100% happy. You can always use that $$$ to buy something else that you are happy with.

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 6:58:01 PM

I showed it to my husband when he got home, and he LOVES it. Go figure -- he''s always said ''meh, it''s fine'' to all of my other stones that I love!

I do like it, it just can''t be used for what I wanted it for. So I can keep it and get a different setting...maybe the same setting as the pink cushion tourmaline I have. I''ll have to decide soon...we''re leaving for Lollapalooza tomorrow and will be gone till Tuesday.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.[/quote]

I love that ring/stone you have, and think that would definitely provide enough light for the green tourmaline. As long as you are ok with it in most light, then I wouldn''t worry about it being too dark. I''ve definitely had that initial reaction where I didn''t like the stone, but after carrying it around for a day and looking at it in all kinds of light, I would fall in love with it. So I''ve learned not to go with my gut reaction!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 7:04:53 PM
Date: 8/5/2009 6:58:01 PM

I showed it to my husband when he got home, and he LOVES it. Go figure -- he''s always said ''meh, it''s fine'' to all of my other stones that I love!

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

I love that ring/stone you have, and think that would definitely provide enough light for the green tourmaline. As long as you are ok with it in most light, then I wouldn''t worry about it being too dark. I''ve definitely had that initial reaction where I didn''t like the stone, but after carrying it around for a day and looking at it in all kinds of light, I would fall in love with it. So I''ve learned not to go with my gut reaction![/quote]

Thanks for the compliment! It''s one of my favorite rings.

I put the stone on top of some random setting I have for a round, and it seems to brighten up. I think it will look really nice against white metal. I''ll probably keep it. I''ll take it up to my office tonight...I spend the majority of my day there, so if it looks nice under those lights, I''ll keep it.
3.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don''t absolutely love it; I would return it.

stacy

Shiny_Rock
I can understand you feeling bad about (maybe) returning the stone. Barry is absolutely a class act though, and he will be nice to you even if you return something.
I actually just had a situation where I bought a gemstone ring from a vendor with a return policy, didn''t like the color, and sent it back. He was really mean about it. It made me feel so bad that I will never, ever buy anything from him again. EVER.

But Barry is not like that. He is such an incredibly nice guy and he really understands that some people see colors differently.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 8:36:08 PM
Author: stacy
I can understand you feeling bad about (maybe) returning the stone. Barry is absolutely a class act though, and he will be nice to you even if you return something.

I actually just had a situation where I bought a gemstone ring from a vendor with a return policy, didn''t like the color, and sent it back. He was really mean about it. It made me feel so bad that I will never, ever buy anything from him again. EVER.

But Barry is not like that. He is such an incredibly nice guy and he really understands that some people see colors differently.

That is really unfortunate, stacy! Sounds like someone really needs to reevaulate his business plan
20.gif

That said, Barry is the nicest, most reasonable guy around. If it is not the stone for you, I am sure he will kindly accept a return!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
yep stacy..you will never buy from that vendor again..with barry and his good return policy it gives some relief to know if you are not satisfied then you can return it without a second thought...with that kind of service you will come back again and again...no worries

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would just return it. Berry is so professional about it, when I wrote about the ruby he had no problems. In fact, I think he was kind of excited because he is keeping the stone and setting it. I never feel bad about returning something. However, I kind of feel bad about posting it up here than returning it, because I feel like I maybe made it sound less pretty than it is, and I think someone would have appreciated the beauty. In the future, I will be more careful about that.

The way I see it, if you buy multiple stones from a vendor, there should be an expectation that not all of them might not work out. I have bought 6 stones from Berry, and returned only one....so he has netted 5 stones from me and is still overall making money. It is a business, and I think a good vendor should expect a certain percentage of stones to be returned when factoring in their costs and profits.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 8:45:38 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I would just return it. Berry is so professional about it, when I wrote about the ruby he had no problems. In fact, I think he was kind of excited because he is keeping the stone and setting it. I never feel bad about returning something. However, I kind of feel bad about posting it up here than returning it, because I feel like I maybe made it sound less pretty than it is, and I think someone would have appreciated the beauty. In the future, I will be more careful about that.

The way I see it, if you buy multiple stones from a vendor, there should be an expectation that not all of them might not work out. I have bought 6 stones from Berry, and returned only one....so he has netted 5 stones from me and is still overall making money. It is a business, and I think a good vendor should expect a certain percentage of stones to be returned when factoring in their costs and profits.
this is true. i do have 5 other stones from him. i just feel bad because i was so happy to get the stone, and i told him i was so excited to get it when he sent the confirmation email.

oh well. i will make a decision tomorrow morning. it really is gorgeous...

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
If you like it, keep it. If you don''t, return it. Barry understands that a stone may not be what you had in mind. Not every stone is going to be loved by everyone.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I know how you feel - I felt really bad returning my stone because Barry is a sweetheart. But he was very nice about it and I am sure I will buy more from him in the future. after a few days, I did come to like it somewhat more, but I already kept one ring that I was unsure about, and I *know* I could have done better.

You could also save it as a present for someone else :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if this will help in your decision. I have a stone from Barry that I purchased a month ago. I never set it and don''t think I will. I mentioned it to him today and he told me to send it back. He is such a great guy - partially, the reason why he is one of the most popular vendors in this sub forum. I think I purchased 10 stones from him in the past 4 months.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karee,
I see it differently; I think Barry or any vendor for that matter would rather the stone come home to him than be sold elsewhere because the purchaser didn’t fully love the stone. The most important thing a vendor wants is for the customer to love the stone 100% and be satisfied with their purchase, so I’m sure he’ll understand the reason for the return. Barcelona made another great point; with returning that stone, that’s money freed up for you to get another stone that you’ll love at first sight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results