shape
carat
color
clarity

Retirement Sale

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbarn21

Rough_Rock
One of our local jewlers is going to retire and as a result is selling off his inventory. My BF and I are gong to go check out the sale.....anyone out there have any advice about possibly purchasing a ring from a plca like this?

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Talk to the owner if you find a piece you like and maybe he''ll be a nice guy and sell it to you at cost

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

There’s nothing wrong with retirement. I hope to do it some day and I wish them all the best. That said, it’s worth paying attention to what’s being sold and what the deal is. There are companies that do nothing but going-out-of-business and similar type sales on behalf of stores that are closing. Business for these people is booming. They will bring in their own inventory, their own sales people and even their own displays if needed. They’ll mark up the prices on crappy merchandise to nutso levels in order to give a great discount and generally behave in ways that the retiring jeweler may never have considered because it would be bad for their reputation. Long standing customers can find themselves doing business with a completely different group of people without really realizing the importance of the change. I’ve no clue if your retiring jeweler is doing this or not but it’s an increasingly popular trend as a way to fund their new life of leisure. Use good shopping skills and look at each deal for what it is, not for what it supposedly used to be. "75% off" means nothing if it''s still a bad deal.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take an idealscope with you. One simple glance and you will know if you have a great cut diamond or not.

Perry

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
The jeweler that my fiance bought my e-ring from is now retiring. He's very reputable and very pleasant to work with. I went and browsed his sale which wasn't a drastic markdown at all. Only 20-33% off if that. Hope this helps!

ETA: This guy also specialized in ideal cut unbranded H&A diamonds.

kbarn21

Rough_Rock
Well, Thank you all for your thoughts.....one step into that store and we were shocked...the diamonds were all yellow, the staff COMPLETELY ignored my BF and I.....it was so shocking all we could do was laugh! I had been to this store in the past, the staff had always been friendly and the diamonds very nice.....

The good news is after this experienc we went to a local chain store that had HUGE selection and just looked at different styles....even though we didn''t end up with the deal of the year...we did have a lovely afternoon and now we have a better idea of what kind of E ring we want to get.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results