shape
carat
color
clarity

Restless Leg Syndrome?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been under a CRAZY amount of stress lately, and I think it contributed to what I believe what a serious case of RLS last night. I''ve never had it before, but this HAD to be it. I was up all night because I felt like I needed to stretch my legs, but they''d never feel "Stretched" and it was seriously awful. I got ZERO sleep and I am miserable today, and still have the feeling in my legs.

Does anyone have this? What do you do to make it go away? I am MISERABLE!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry Elle. I don''t think I have ever had it all night, and can''t even imagine how that must have felt. I will get it for like 30 min incriments, usually at night when we''re watching tv. I have to constantly move my legs into different positions. I absolutely hate it, and I have no remedy. Just sympathy.
7.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Elle I had the experience once a long time ago of talking to someone who was working on developing a drug to treat this and I'd never heard of it before and was so intrigued.

Apparently drinking a glass of milk oftentimes helps with restless leg syndrome, and so they were attempting to understand and then mimic the effect of the milk. They readily admitted that basically anyone prescribed this medication in the future would be just as well off having a glass of milk! They way they told the story was fascinating - they were inventing a drug to replace a perfectly effective, easily accessible, and cheap cure, all because people prefer to put their faith in a pill
5.gif
Of course though, lots of people can't have dairy so that's where the pill comes into its own...

If you can drink milk, maybe that will help?
35.gif
I hope you get some relief soon, it must be very frustrating.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I have this and it''s annoying and so uncomfortable. I get it bad only at night or when I''m in a car/plane and have no where to move. It''s not every night...and I noticed that it doesn''t happen if I''ve excercised that day or if I am really tired and I just fall out. Although, now that I think about it, I am a constant leg-mover. My legs are rarely comfortable unless I am sitting indian style or have one leg curled in. I am trying to stop sitting like that because I found my first spider vein (on my calf) and heard that sitting on your legs doesn''t allow circulation to flow and can cause spider veins. But you''ll never see me with legs uncrossed--they just don''t stay still.

So I know what you mean, it sucks.
11.gif

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
I get the same restless feeling in my legs about once every few weeks I''d guess. It mostly happens to me in the car, but sometimes when I''m in bed. I started stretching my legs out really well before going to sleep, and it''s been helping somewhat, but once I start getting the urge to move my legs, it drives me crazy all night long. For me though, it''s the most awful in the car, especially if we''re going on a trip somewhere. We usually have to stop every now and then so I can get out and walk around, because that helps somewhat for me. Sometimes I think I''d prefer to be in pain than have that uncontrollable urge to move my legs.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/31/2009 11:07:38 AM
Author: anniee19
I get the same restless feeling in my legs about once every few weeks I''d guess. It mostly happens to me in the car, but sometimes when I''m in bed. I started stretching my legs out really well before going to sleep, and it''s been helping somewhat, but once I start getting the urge to move my legs, it drives me crazy all night long. For me though, it''s the most awful in the car, especially if we''re going on a trip somewhere. We usually have to stop every now and then so I can get out and walk around, because that helps somewhat for me. Sometimes I think I''d prefer to be in pain than have that uncontrollable urge to move my legs.
No way! I was diagnosed with DVT (deep vein thrombosis) nearly 3 months ago and it is painful. For me it was always worse when I was in bed and I''ve lost a lot of sleep because of it. Imagine wanting to move your leg(s) but not being able to or you''d be "punished"
32.gif
It''s sort of like that. Luckily, it''s gotten much better with time for me.

elledizzy - sorry to hear about this. I''d try Delster''s suggestion and drink some milk before bed. Also, as I''ve found out through my own issues, is that calcium, potassium and vitamins B12 and B6 can play a role in muscular issues as well. Good luck!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

Deslter, I''m definitely going to slam some milk when I get home. ANYTHING that will help. Yeesh.

I''ve been reading online, and they say being low on iron can have an effect. Generally I''m low on iron. I guess I should jump back on the multi-vitamin bandwagon, since it seems like some sort of deficiency is causing this.

The stress definitely didnt help... so maybe I should be exercising more. All I know is that I do NOT want another night like I had last night. Yuck.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get that alllll the time too. Usually I''d sit up on the bed and lift my legs up and down together several times (usually 3 sets of 20 reps) and then I''ll put a huge fluffy pillow under my legs before I attempt to fall asleep again. It helps, but it doesn''t make it 100% okay.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I get that ALL the time. My solution is to give in and exercise. Squats, lunges, or "sitting mid air". Sorry, I don''t know how to call the last one in English. It''s where you put your back flat against the wall, and scoot down and hold your position with your knees bent 90 degrees. It looks like you are sitting on a chair without a chair. I also hop or skip in the room.

Sorry for babbling, but my point is that working out my legs a little helps me the most.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
We have one of those vibrating back massagers that DH uses on my calves at night. It really does help!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
My sister has had RLS for years and tried just about everything, to no avail. Several months ago, her neurologist tried her on a new medication, and it's done wonders for her. I'll look it up when I get home this evening.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Elle, I''m a total newbie (1st post!) but I saw your post and felt like I had to respond. I''ve had this too, and have been on the drugs sometime prescribed for it for other reasons. Its so frustrating, and the lack of sleep is so upsetting! I agree with the idea about doing leg lifts. I also find that rubbing my muscles, or getting someone else to do it
31.gif
sometimes helps enough to be able to sleep.

And if you haven''t seen it http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/detail_restless_legs.htm#135203237 may help. Good luck!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I get a variety of it due to my back problems.

Most of the time I can keep it in check with my normal meds, but if it''s really bad I take 60mg of codeine and 10mg of amitriptyline and bingo it''s gone...

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I see a rheumatologist for another problem.
He told me to drink twelve ounces per day of tonic water for relief of RLS.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Yes I do. For several years now. But Im 56 and I''m surprised that so many of you younger women have the problem. I tried the prescription Requip without significant results. What does help is iron and magnesium. And the tonic water does seem to help-the quinine? Is there still quinine in tonic water?

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I checked, and my sister takes Gabapentin. It has also helped with her chronic insomnia.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh I get RLS pretty bad. One thing that helps me is taking a hot bath. It doesn''t always solve the problem.

I wish I had other remedies!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I was in the throes of newborn he!! with both of my colicky babies and getting only 1-2 hours of sleep every night, I had serious RLS. It was excruciating. I don''t know if this is considered fact by the medical community, but I personally think there is a stress or lack-of-sleep connection to RLS. Other than those months of utter chaos and sleep deprivation, I have never experienced RLS ever again. I hope you find a way to relieve your stress soon...RLS is the worst!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Apprently when you stress out you chew through your magnesiem levels, and apprently a lack of magnesium can cause muscle cramps and such. I would pop some magnisem and see if that helps

GL :)

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I had it with my pregnancies and newborn he!!... I think Kristydarling is on to something with the sleep deprivation theory. For me the only thing that gets rid of it is to get up and walk around for a few minutes and then get a foot/calf massage with either massage oil or a moisturizing cream. If my dh is awake I make him do it! If not, I do it myself.

I hope tonight goes better for you. It''s a horrible feeling!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with upgrade on the massage. And just as a warning, Gabapentin can be a really brutal drug (in terms of dealing with the side effects). I was on it for years. It''ll get rid of insomnia for sure, but you might not stay awake at other times! I once fell asleep in the middle of eating a pretzel! One bite in my mouth, one bite out...

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Also make sure you''re not anemic. It can contribute to RLS...I had also had it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results