shape
carat
color
clarity

restaurants near OC Fair & Expo Center

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sera

Ideal_Rock
My FF and I are going to see Cirque Du Soleil in Orange County, Cali. It''s at the Orange County Fair and Exposition Center. We''ll be going in November and will need to arrive around 7-7:30.

Any recommendations??? (no seafood)

teetee

Shiny_Rock
Hi sera,
Here are some restaurants that would be near the fairgrounds. http://www.travelcostamesa.com/dining_restaurants.aspx
What kind of food are you looking for, other than no seafood? And how much do you want to spend per person?
You might want to check out the boards at www.chowhound.com. I''m sure those guys will help with some good recommendations.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
Sera.

I am new to the board and just saw this post. How about Mastro''s? They have a steak restaurance in Costa Mesa.

Nancy

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
mmmmmmmmm...Morton''s It''s right by South Coast Plaza. Have a great time. Maybe I''ll try and talk DH into going to see it, too.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
Or you could skip dinner and SHOP!! South Coast Plaza is my FAVORITE!

Nancy

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 3:22:10 PM
Author: fansynancy
Or you could skip dinner and SHOP!! South Coast Plaza is my FAVORITE!

Nancy
That''s the right idea! Maybe hit Tiff''s for something new to wear to the show???
31.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Oh! I just saw the replies today lol... thanks!
I think my FF found something (not sure where), but I'll give him the links- he find he prefers one of these places.

I wasn't really sure what type of food... that was pretty open, I just don't much care for seafood. I'll eat it, but then when I start thinking lobster and shrimp are basically sea cockroaches, I lose my appetite lol.

I would usually say YES to shopping... except for this time!... We are going to dinner and then Cirque du Soleil for my bday AND I get my diamond
36.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 2:56:14 PM
Author: Miranda
mmmmmmmmm...Morton's It's right by South Coast Plaza. Have a great time. Maybe I'll try and talk DH into going to see it, too.
My FF's coworker just went to the one in LA and he really enjoyed it. The last few times I was in Vegas, it just didn't work out in the plans. I've been wanting to see it for some time, so it's really a GREAT bday present! FYI, it's not in LA nor OC for very long.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 3:44:44 PM
Author: sera
I think my FF found something (not sure where), but I''ll give him the links- he find he prefers one of these places.

I wasn''t really sure what type of food... that was pretty open, I just don''t much care for seafood. I''ll eat it, but then when I start thinking lobster and shrimp are basically sea cockroaches, I lose my appetite lol.

I would usually say YES to shopping... except for this time!... We are going to dinner and then Cirque du Soleil for my bday AND I get my diamond
36.gif
That is exciting! No need for shopping then!
9.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 8:33:51 PM
Author: Miranda
Date: 10/27/2007 3:44:44 PM

Author: sera

I think my FF found something (not sure where), but I''ll give him the links- he find he prefers one of these places.

I wasn''t really sure what type of food... that was pretty open, I just don''t much care for seafood. I''ll eat it, but then when I start thinking lobster and shrimp are basically sea cockroaches, I lose my appetite lol.

36.gif
That is exciting! No need for shopping then!
9.gif
Nope.

I''ll wait a couple days.
27.gif

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Il Farro is a great restaurant in Newport Beach. It''s Italian, cozy. The food is really really good and not that expensive. They have a website. Look for Il Farro in Newport Beach. Google it. :) For fine dining: Morton''s in Costa Mesa, Ruth''s Chris in Irvine, 21 Oceanfront in Newport Beach (this was always a favorite of mine). Newport Beach covers a lot of ground area (it includes Newport Coast) and if you don''t want to be late, Newport Beach, Irvine and Costa Mesa are good bets. Newport Coast is a little far, so if it says "Fashion Island" area, it might be a little far. :) If you like Persian food, Caspian in Irvine is good. Or Darya at South Coast. Or Ferdussi taste of Persia. The latter two are in Costa Mesa (I prefer Caspian personally). Hmmm. . . I think that 21 Oceanfront is always a good bet and is in close proximity. Pretty typical American fine dining, but a great atmosphere (ask to be seated on the opposite side from the bar), sunset view if you were to go early enough. Great wine list. Good dessert. Il Farro is great. More cozy/casual but still really nice and the food can''t be beat if you are looking for good Italian. Not just run of the mill stuff. I had a great protabello mushroom ravioli with a saffron and pistachio sauce last week. What area are you staying in? Maybe I can think of something closer :)

~Cheers!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 1:29:41 AM
Author: cellososweet
Il Farro is a great restaurant in Newport Beach. It''s Italian, cozy. The food is really really good and not that expensive. They have a website. Look for Il Farro in Newport Beach. Google it. :) For fine dining: Morton''s in Costa Mesa, Ruth''s Chris in Irvine, 21 Oceanfront in Newport Beach (this was always a favorite of mine). Newport Beach covers a lot of ground area (it includes Newport Coast) and if you don''t want to be late, Newport Beach, Irvine and Costa Mesa are good bets. Newport Coast is a little far, so if it says ''Fashion Island'' area, it might be a little far. :) If you like Persian food, Caspian in Irvine is good. Or Darya at South Coast. Or Ferdussi taste of Persia. The latter two are in Costa Mesa (I prefer Caspian personally). Hmmm. . . I think that 21 Oceanfront is always a good bet and is in close proximity. Pretty typical American fine dining, but a great atmosphere (ask to be seated on the opposite side from the bar), sunset view if you were to go early enough. Great wine list. Good dessert. Il Farro is great. More cozy/casual but still really nice and the food can''t be beat if you are looking for good Italian. Not just run of the mill stuff. I had a great protabello mushroom ravioli with a saffron and pistachio sauce last week. What area are you staying in? Maybe I can think of something closer :)

~Cheers!
Thanks for the other suggestions- I will have to check them out now (I really want to get the reservations made!) We will be traveling down the 57/5 to the OC Fair, so I was looking at Irvine, Costa Mesa and Newport Beach. I think he would be about as crazy for the Persian as I would be for Benihana- not much! *insert BLEH smilie here* lol.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
The French 75 in Newport is pretty new. It''s in Fashion Island. I think the one in Laguna is better. Oooh, now I''m thinking of Fashion Island. How about Roy''s?? Also- I really think you should think about Mastro''s or if you want to go further down PCH there is an incredible Mastro''s Seafood at Crystal Cove. It is my absolute favorite. Oh, but didn''t you say you aren''t a fish fan?

One other romantic thought- there is a Melting Pot in Costa Mesa. That could be fun!

Nancy

sera

Ideal_Rock
I ended up making the reservations at French 75 @ Fashion Island. It''s close to the Fairgrounds and we are going early enough that it shouldn''t be a problem. I kept debating over all the menus... the cheese and grilled breads appetizer and vanilla bean creme brulee dessert swayed me.
3.gif
We hardly ever order dessert, but I think this night we should!

When I was asked, "Are you celebrating any special occasion?" I giggled then replied, "Yeeessss.... I get my DIAMOND! We''re getting engaged!" At first she was like awww how special then asked, "WAIT?! How is it that you know about it?!" Heh... apparently she is not a Pricescoper
12.gif
I explained I''m picky, so I got to pick it out.
27.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions- they were really great! Oh, and they''re giving us the most private table.
21.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Eeeek! I''m so excited for you Sera! French 75 sounds fab. I''ve always wanted to try it, but, never have the time. I can''t wait for ring pics!!! And to hear how the show was. DH and I are going to see Wicked in a few weeks, but, I was really torn between that and Cirque. I''m in a LA mood though, so we''re going there.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I really want to see Wicked as well. My FF knows how long I've been wanting to see Cirque, so that's what he got tickets for. I imagine we will see Wicked some time.

I noticed on the menus, the Fashion Island French 75's entree cost was more than the one in Irvine. We could have gone to Irvine just as easily, but from the pictures it didn't look as dark and cozy- I could be wrong though (there's a first time for everything
2.gif
) I also would rather have something very close since we haven't been to the OC Fairgrounds before... otherwise I might have chosen something overlooking the ocean.

And yeah... can't wait to take pics of the ring on MY HAND!!!
31.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
OK, I just asked DH. He says not to go to the one in Irvine if it is ambiance you are looking for. The food is great, but, it isn''t as cozy. Good luck.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I just gotta say that I LOVED French 75 in Newport Beach. It''s at Fashion Island between Macy''s and Sharper Image.

It''s a very cute bistro.. jazz, red booths, dark wood, sparse lighting- very cozy.

We had a cheese and grilled bread appetizer... great cheeses... some blue cheese, goat cheese, San Joaquin, etc.
I had some French Onion soup, herb roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and for dessert, Creme Brulee (YUM!) It was all very good and I loved the ambiance. I especially liked that I got my diamond with the appetizer!
31.gif

As for prices... figure about $100+ per couple.
I''m not sure on the price for appetizers. Per person, soup or salad was about $10, sides about $10 for two, dinner entrees were maybe $20-50 per person, desserts ? wine? They also have a price fixed dinner for $30 that has salad or soup, entree with side, and dessert- there were about 4 or 5 choices under each course.

It was a wonderful dinner and then we went to Cirque Du Soleil which was also wonderful. I heard the traveling shows are not as extravagant, so I would like to see one in Vegas (or the permanent one coming to L.A.).

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Great to hear! Congratulations on your engagement! I''m looking forward to ring pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results