shape
carat
color
clarity

Reprehensible Voting/Ballot Outrages

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
And so it begins on absentee ballots. My gut tells me that this years election voting and ballot scandals will make the Butterfly ballot look like child''s play. Post your discoveries here and let''s hope this thread doesn''t become a long and alive one.

I find this unacceptable on so many levels....
29.gif
Human error...are you kidding me?? Because the "s" is so close to the "b" on the keyboard.
38.gif

Blatant Ballot Manipulation

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, It COULD have been a super unfortunate typo, thankfully very few ballots were printed with the typo, and all the individuals got new ones. It seems like tons of press has been on this issue for a few days, when little is being discussed concerning the Ohio ballot counting issues. This is from a left wing source, sort of the opposite of Fox and its rather screeching, but the issues of disenfranchisement are raised in the same place so it is of value for that reason: link

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I knew it was going to get ugly in the voting disqualification arena, but recording license plate information?? How can they prove anything about the person driving the car and voting? That's odd.

This campaign has inspired so many people to register that is unnerving the Republicans. Now they appear intent on disqualifying those citizens who have been forced to move due to foreclosure by invalidating the address of the voter.

Kick 'em when they're down!!!

Foreclosed? Now your vote won't count link

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I do agree that people that no longer reside in their county of registration should not be permitted to vote in that county. I don't think they shouldn't be able to vote, but the law is the law - people whose homes were not foreclosed would not be allowed to vote in counties where they did not reside, so neither should those with foreclosed homes. Why can't they just provide proof of their new residence? I also think that ACORN's involvement in over-registration & fraudulent registrations (currently being litigated in courts) has sadly only fueled the fire of voter registration speculation.
38.gif

ETA: Anyone care to fill me in on what happened to the Dem/Rep threads? I was gone for one day and *poof* gone!
1.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 11:19:37 AM
Author: IndyGirl22
Well, I do agree that people that no longer reside in their county of registration should not be permitted to vote in that county. I don''t think they shouldn''t be able to vote, but the law is the law - people whose homes were not foreclosed would not be allowed to vote in counties where they did not reside, so neither should those with foreclosed homes. Why can''t they just provide proof of their new residence? I also think that ACORN''s involvement in over-registration & fraudulent registrations (currently being litigated in courts) has sadly only fueled the fire of voter registration speculation.
38.gif

ETA: Anyone care to fill me in on what happened to the Dem/Rep threads? I was gone for one day and *poof* gone!
1.gif
Was wondering that too... I literally just posted on it 20 minutes ago, and there was no mean-spirited stuff at all.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 11:24:55 AM
Author: elledizzy5

Was wondering that too... I literally just posted on it 20 minutes ago, and there was no mean-spirited stuff at all.
Oh really? I thought it was some big thread war that occurred over the weekend!
1.gif
Sorry for the threadjack miraclesrule!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I do agree that people that no longer reside in their county of registration should not be permitted to vote in that county. I don''t think they shouldn''t be able to vote, but the law is the law - people whose homes were not foreclosed would not be allowed to vote in counties where they did not reside, so neither should those with foreclosed homes. Why can''t they just provide proof of their new residence? I also think that ACORN''s involvement in over-registration & fraudulent registrations (currently being litigated in courts) has sadly only fueled the fire of voter registration speculation.
38.gif

1.gif
You guys might want to check out the sticky thread at the top of the ATW Forum. The title of that thread has changed . . . it is now "UPDATED Political Threads - Please Read." It looks like Ali posted an update this morning.
5.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 11:33:05 AM

Oh really? I thought it was some big thread war that occurred over the weekend!
1.gif
Sorry for the threadjack miraclesrule!
I only read the most recent few posts before I posted. I don''t usually post too much on the weekend. It looked "safe" when I went in the Dem thread this morning! If I missed a huge blow-out then I''m way disappointed.
2.gif

I didn''t check the Rep thread though!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 11:34:41 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl

38.gif

1.gif
You guys might want to check out the sticky thread at the top of the ATW Forum. The title of that thread has changed . . . it is now ''UPDATED Political Threads - Please Read.'' It looks like Ali posted an update this morning.
5.gif
Thanks, Irish!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
The Reps may be getting nervous about all the new voters, but to ME the real issue with that is how many are fraudulent. The stories hitting the news about so-and-so registering 15 times for a friend, and another one registering 72 times for cigarettes. It''s just disgusting. Weird, it all appears to be happening in swing states.
38.gif
I think THAT is what is making people stop and wonder just what is going on here.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 12:18:20 PM
Author: luckystar112
The Reps may be getting nervous about all the new voters, but to ME the real issue with that is how many are fraudulent. The stories hitting the news about so-and-so registering 15 times for a friend, and another one registering 72 times for cigarettes. It''s just disgusting. Weird, it all appears to be happening in swing states.
38.gif
I think THAT is what is making people stop and wonder just what is going on here.
Yeah, I think the minute you start giving out monetary or tangible goods per registration you run into a problem. You''d think that the power of voting would be enough incentive to register.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 12:18:20 PM
Author: luckystar112
38.gif
Just because someone is registered a million times doesn''t mean they get to vote a million times. I posted an article which stated how voter fraud is practically non-existent. Yet people continue to worry. ACORN has been around for years, and this complaint has been going on for years. By law ACORN must submit the registrations, even after their higher ups realize they are fraudulent. They attempt to flag the bad ones to make it easier for election officials to recognize and disregard. I would like to know, for those that are so worried about this, how often has voter registration fraud translated into fraudulent votes being casted on election day?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone remember the Dem primary in NM?

Well you can probably expect the same thing (although hopefully better) come Nov 4. I think Hillary ended up winning NM by 500 or so votes in the first count- but the second count with provisional ballots, who knows but the votes weren''t completely until about--TWO WEEKS AFTER ELECTION DAY.

...sigh...my beautiful backwards @$$ state...

And exit polls

Here we go (1,709 vote difference):

Clinton
73,105 votes
49% of the vote
14 delegates

Obama
71,396 votes
48% of the vote
12 delegates

Uncommitted
441 votes
0%

Sigh...

Not that it matters. I think we have about 5 electoral votes. No one really pays any attention to us unless it''s really close.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 4:33:51 PM
Author: MoonWater

Just because someone is registered a million times doesn''t mean they get to vote a million times. I posted an article which stated how voter fraud is practically non-existent. Yet people continue to worry. ACORN has been around for years, and this complaint has been going on for years. By law ACORN must submit the registrations, even after their higher ups realize they are fraudulent. They attempt to flag the bad ones to make it easier for election officials to recognize and disregard. I would like to know, for those that are so worried about this, how often has voter registration fraud translated into fraudulent votes being casted on election day?
I don''t think we''ll ever know, that is the problem. Not only were people being registered multiple times, but deceased people and people who didn''t even live in the state were registered as well. The fact that these practices are even happening should be disturbing for any American. I am glad that ACORN''s offices around the country are being seized and voter registration verifications are being demanded. Why doesn''t Michael Moore make a movie about THIS?

Freke - that is CRAZY! I remember Lake County took FOREVER (much later than every other county in Indiana) to count their votes during the primaries as well, raising speculation as the county eventually went to Obama.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
That was a rhetorical question. For those that truly care about the voter fraud issue, how it''s blown completely out of proportion, and how it results in legitmate voters avoiding the polls, read here (a non-partisan public policy and law institute):

http://truthaboutfraud.org/pdf/TruthAboutVoterFraud.pdf

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
did you see this via the New York Times?

there are 6 swing states that seem to be in violation of federal law in two ways.

I'll pull some quotes for you:

"Michigan and Colorado are removing voters from the rolls within 90 days of a federal election, which is not allowed except when voters die, notify the authorities that they have moved out of state, or have been declared unfit to vote."

"Indiana, Nevada, North Carolina and Ohio seem to be improperly using Social Security data to verify registration applications for new voters."

"In addition to the six swing states, three more states appear to be violating federal law.
Alabama and Georgia seem to be improperly using Social Security information to screen registration applications from new voters."

"And Louisiana appears to have removed thousands of voters after the federal deadline for taking such action."

"major voter registration drives have been held this year in Colorado, which has also had a significant population increase since the last presidential election, but the state has recorded a net loss of nearly 100,000 voters from its rolls since 2004."

--

In three states — Colorado, Louisiana and Michigan — the number of people purged from the election rolls since Aug. 1 far exceeds the number who may have died or relocated during that period.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Justice Brennan was very, very liberal - I would question the stated non-partisanship of their organization, especially given the political cartoon posted on their website. Their opposition to voter ID laws has also already been quashed by SCOTUS - whether or not people like it it has been approved & whether voter registration fraud actually affects the voting process is not a question - ACORN has already tarnished this election with speculation IMHO.

Thanks for the information jcrow! It is so, so despicable...and sadly, predictable. I guess the good news for McCain voters is that many of these people won't actually vote (along the lines of MoonWater's argument).

ETA: Not trying to start any arguments on this thread - just offering my POV.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 1:07:05 PM
Author:miraclesrule
And so it begins on absentee ballots. My gut tells me that this years election voting and ballot scandals will make the Butterfly ballot look like child''s play.

I think you''ll find that to be true...But ONLY if McCain wins.

Let''s look back:
2000-Bush elected. Hanging chad fiasco. Cries of Republicans "stealing" the election.

2004-Bush re-elected. Voting machine inquiries. Voter fraud accusations."Disenfranchisement" becomes the word of the day.

2006-Democrats sweep House and Senate. Amazingly, the election seemed to go off without a hint of fraud or scandal.

See what I''m getting at here?

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 9:54:20 PM
Author: beebrisk

Let''s look back:
2000-Bush elected. Hanging chad fiasco. Cries of Republicans ''stealing'' the election.

2004-Bush re-elected. Voting machine inquiries. Voter fraud accusations.''Disenfranchisement'' becomes the word of the day.

2006-Democrats sweep House and Senate. Amazingly, the election seemed to go off without a hint of fraud or scandal.

Ahhh yes...disenfranchisement...a word so overused in 2004 that it lost any of its historical meaning in recent years. I have a feeling that the widespread ACORN-related and non-ACORN voter fraud being currently investigated and litigated in several states will be swept under the rug if Obama wins, I know the GOP will be accused of stealing the election if McCain wins. With the most recent Obama/Osama mix-up it''s no wonder Florida is always a state of controversy!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 9:16:58 PM
Justice Brennan was very, very liberal - I would question the stated non-partisanship of their organization, especially given the political cartoon posted on their website. Their opposition to voter ID laws has also already been quashed by SCOTUS - whether or not people like it it has been approved & whether voter registration fraud actually affects the voting process is not a question - ACORN has already tarnished this election with speculation IMHO.

Thanks for the information jcrow! It is so, so despicable...and sadly, predictable. I guess the good news for McCain voters is that many of these people won't actually vote (along the lines of MoonWater's argument).

ETA: Not trying to start any arguments on this thread - just offering my POV.

Funny, I thought that was *the* question. There have been so many articles about this over the years and they all appear to come to the same conclusion. Voter registration fraud does not translate into fraudulent votes. I'm not saying it doesn't suck that fraudulent registration happens, but people are attempting to make this out that a group such as ACORN is deliberately doing this to change the outcome of the election (and linking Obama to it no less), when that simply is untrue. I agree, these stories do tarnish the election, but it's not the fault of ACORN, it's those in the media that which to over hype this as a real problem (and by real problem I mean imply it actually changes the outcome of an election, which is everyone's real fear).

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

And so it begins on absentee ballots. My gut tells me that this years election voting and ballot scandals will make the Butterfly ballot look like child's play.

I think you'll find that to be true...But ONLY if McCain wins.

Let's look back:

2000-Bush elected. Hanging chad fiasco. Cries of Republicans 'stealing' the election.

2004-Bush re-elected. Voting machine inquiries. Voter fraud accusations.'Disenfranchisement' becomes the word of the day.

See what I'm getting at here?

Interesting, because in 2004 and 2006 it was the GOP that was crying.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 8:44:30 AM

Funny, I thought that was *the* question. There have been so many articles about this over the years and they all appear to come to the same conclusion. Voter registration fraud does not translate into fraudulent votes. I''m not saying it doesn''t suck that fraudulent registration happens, but people are attempting to make this out that a group such as ACORN is deliberately doing this to change the outcome of the election (and linking Obama to it no less), when that simply is untrue. I agree, these stories do tarnish the election, but it''s not the fault of ACORN, it''s those in the media that which to over hype this as a real problem (and by real problem I mean imply it actually changes the outcome of an election, which is everyone''s real fear).
It''s not the fault of ACORN? So do you think they''ve done nothing wrong? They did nothing to tarnish this election?

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 8:46:17 AM

And so it begins on absentee ballots. My gut tells me that this years election voting and ballot scandals will make the Butterfly ballot look like child''s play.

Let''s look back:

2000-Bush elected. Hanging chad fiasco. Cries of Republicans ''stealing'' the election.

2004-Bush re-elected. Voting machine inquiries. Voter fraud accusations.''Disenfranchisement'' becomes the word of the day.

That was my point. There was no crying. Not a single Dem railing about chads, disenfranchisement, voter intimidation, etc.

Yup, that election went off without a hitch! And if Obama wins this one, no one will be complaining about bad ballots and broken machines. Instead the election of 2008 will be hailed as the perfect example of democracy in action!

Your statement is not factual...but it sounds good.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 10:15:25 AM

Date: 10/14/2008 8:44:30 AM

Funny, I thought that was *the* question. There have been so many articles about this over the years and they all appear to come to the same conclusion. Voter registration fraud does not translate into fraudulent votes. I''m not saying it doesn''t suck that fraudulent registration happens, but people are attempting to make this out that a group such as ACORN is deliberately doing this to change the outcome of the election (and linking Obama to it no less), when that simply is untrue. I agree, these stories do tarnish the election, but it''s not the fault of ACORN, it''s those in the media that which to over hype this as a real problem (and by real problem I mean imply it actually changes the outcome of an election, which is everyone''s real fear).
It''s not the fault of ACORN? So do you think they''ve done nothing wrong? They did nothing to tarnish this election?
Re-read my post. I don''t feel like repeating myself this morning.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 10:57:01 AM

Let''s look back:

That was my point. There was no crying. Not a single Dem railing about chads, disenfranchisement, voter intimidation, etc.

Yup, that election went off without a hitch! And if Obama wins this one, no one will be complaining about bad ballots and broken machines. Instead the election of 2008 will be hailed as the perfect example of democracy in action!

Ok, it''s not surprising that if the election goes in favor of Repubs it is the Dems that whine and cry, just as if the election goes in favor of Dems (or appears that it will), Repubs whine and cry. So I''m not sure of your point there.

I''m sure if Obama wins, the Republicans will keep harping about voter fraud just as they did in 2004 and 2006, and as they are now right before this election. This is nothing new. The point of my post is that whining about voter fraud as it relates to multiple/dead voters registering while it does not translate into more votes being casts is just a way to get people''s panties in a bunch.

What part of my statement isn''t factual?

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 11:09:20 AM

I did read your post, that''s why I asked my questions in disbelief. You said that ACORN has not tarnished this election but that these "stories" from the media have. Your opinion, I guess. Any explanation as to why, if they don''t affect the election at all, ACORN has taken it upon themselves to perpetuate voter registration fraud at all? Isn''t it true that "registered" voters can cast absentee or provisional ballots without proper ID once registered?

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 1:43:43 AM

Let''s look back:

Ahhh yes...disenfranchisement...a word so overused in 2004 that it lost any of its historical meaning in recent years. I have a feeling that the widespread ACORN-related and non-ACORN voter fraud being currently investigated and litigated in several states will be swept under the rug if Obama wins, I know the GOP will be accused of stealing the election if McCain wins. With the most recent Obama/Osama mix-up it''s no wonder Florida is always a state of controversy!

As Greg Palast points out, there are only about six voters per year found guilty of fraudulent voting. That''s across the entire country. Major problemo, eh?

This is the classic straw dawg. If you are a thief, scream the loudest about how thieves are stealing us blind. Are you gay? Scream about how gays will be the death of human civilization. If you are ripping off the military, make sure your flag is always flying. If you are screwing the public via sweetheart deals, rat out your buddies and then claim to be holier than thou.

And if you''re Dubya and the rest of the sods that now have been caught out, just grin and blame everything on everyone else. Lovely, simply lovely.

Where does that leave the 30 percenters who still feel like he''s done a heckuva job? Where does that leave the 40 percenters who still will enter the booth and pull the lever for a party that has picked their pocket and now wants to send the crime squad elsewhere?

Sad, truly sad. What can one say?

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 11:14:09 AM

Let''s look back:

Ok, it''s not surprising that if the election goes in favor of Repubs it is the Dems that whine and cry, just as if the election goes in favor of Dems (or appears that it will), Repubs whine and cry. So I''m not sure of your point there.

I''m sure if Obama wins, the Republicans will keep harping about voter fraud just as they did in 2004 and 2006, and as they are now right before this election. This is nothing new. The point of my post is that whining about voter fraud as it relates to multiple/dead voters registering while it does not translate into more votes being casts is just a way to get people''s panties in a bunch.

What part of my statement isn''t factual?

...That the GOP whines and cries when the Dem''s win.

There was no sweeping outcry in 2006 when the Dems took power. Nothing like when the Dem''s claimed that Bush "stole" the election--not once, but twice! You''d swear there wasn''t a correctly functioning voting machine in the entire 50 states.

Sheesh. Hollywood liberals even made a movie or two about the GOP''s "manipulation" of the polls.

You do not hear this coming from Republicans. Please tell me of one serious effort by the GOP to amend an election that the Dems won.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 11:20:13 AM

Date: 10/14/2008 11:09:20 AM

I did read your post, that''s why I asked my questions in disbelief. You said that ACORN has not tarnished this election but that these ''stories'' from the media have. Your opinion, I guess. Any explanation as to why, if they don''t affect the election at all, ACORN has taken it upon themselves to perpetuate voter registration fraud at all? Isn''t it true that ''registered'' voters can cast absentee or provisional ballots without proper ID once registered?
Please find me proof that these multiple/dead registrations have had an impact on the ballots being casts. I never said ACORN isn''t doing something wrong, I think they could stand to be more organized. Obviously their main goal is to get as many legitimate people registered as possible. Since, upon verification, the illegitimately ones are cast aside, I see no problem if that means at least a few more people that would not have registered otherwise, did (and hopefully go on to vote). The tarnish aspect comes from people who choose to over hype it as something that truly changes the outcome of an election when it does not. The negative aspect is that people are attempting to spin this as if ACORN deliberately does this in order to change the outcome of an election when they do not.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 11:32:05 AM

Date: 10/14/2008 11:14:09 AM

And so it begins on absentee ballots. My gut tells me that this years election voting and ballot scandals will make the Butterfly ballot look like child's play.

I think you'll find that to be true...But ONLY if McCain wins.

Let's look back:

2000-Bush elected. Hanging chad fiasco. Cries of Republicans 'stealing' the election.

2004-Bush re-elected. Voting machine inquiries. Voter fraud accusations.'Disenfranchisement' becomes the word of the day.

See what I'm getting at here?

Ok, it's not surprising that if the election goes in favor of Repubs it is the Dems that whine and cry, just as if the election goes in favor of Dems (or appears that it will), Repubs whine and cry. So I'm not sure of your point there.

I'm sure if Obama wins, the Republicans will keep harping about voter fraud just as they did in 2004 and 2006, and as they are now right before this election. This is nothing new. The point of my post is that whining about voter fraud as it relates to multiple/dead voters registering while it does not translate into more votes being casts is just a way to get people's panties in a bunch.

What part of my statement isn't factual?

...That the GOP whines and cries when the Dem's win.

There was no sweeping outcry in 2006 when the Dems took power. Nothing like when the Dem's claimed that Bush 'stole' the election--not once, but twice! You'd swear there wasn't a correctly functioning voting machine in the entire 50 states.

Sheesh. Hollywood liberals even made a movie or two about the GOP's 'manipulation' of the polls.

You do not hear this coming from Republicans. Please tell me of one serious effort by the GOP to amend an election that the Dems won.
Well, I never said they cried when Dems won in my intial post. I was referring to the stink they made about voter fraud in 2004 and 2006 (that is a fact, use google). Both parties hype up issues of voter fraud when they are worried about an outcome or have faced the outcome. I don't think it is remotely surprising at the outcry from the 2000 election because it was so close. You make this out to be some huge issue that only Dems take part in. Both parties of guilty of whining.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results