shape
carat
color
clarity

Repair on my art deco 18ct y/g plat engagement ring

millywinter

Rough_Rock
Hi

I have a lovely yellow gold and platinum diamond engagement ring. The head was cut really nicely around the diamond (see picture below). I managed to break it by hitting a speaker with my hand whilst I ran down the stairs (and really hurt my hand!) I knocked the head that holds the diamond clean out, but didn't damage it at all.
473685_10150733971605879_942315411_o.jpg

I took it to be repaired and specifically stated that I didn't want anything changed and only wanted the head put back in. When I got it back, I was disappointed as the head is not the same at all and the band is really crudely done. For some reason, they have replaced the whole arms the go from the shank to the head. The two metals used to be blended together, so you could not see a join, but now there are two big dents where the metals meet. I am so upset, because I loved this ring so much.

dscf1263.jpg
dscf1264.jpg

On the notes, they have written:

18ct S/S dia ring W/G head Y/G shank *quote* To fix head back on plz. Doesn't want anything changed.

It says "18ct PLAT 4452" inside the ring.

Did I have too high expectations from this repair?

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
S/S stands for stainless steel or sterling silver so the not is wrong. I am not sure if want to go back to them but I would definitely ask about the S/S and let them know I'm unhappy and why. If you want them to fix it, I would let them know right away. Sorry your ring turned out wrong. You have a tough decision to make on the repairs. Some jewelers won't fix other jewelers work, so it may be hard to have anyone but them fix it.

millywinter

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. :( I called them to say I was very unhappy and they were surprised. So, I'm going to take it back with the before picture to show what I mean.

Thank you

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really sorry millywinter :(( I think some jewelers are not very adept at working on antique pieces, and don't appreciate how changes like this can affect the piece. I would think the dents could be fixed. Maybe they had to change the shank to reattach the head, I don't know. Definitely go in and talk to them about it. I hope something can be done to return it to it's original state.

Keep us posted!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmedOne|1349278976|3278680 said:
S/S stands for stainless steel or sterling silver so the not is wrong. I am not sure if want to go back to them but I would definitely ask about the S/S and let them know I'm unhappy and why. If you want them to fix it, I would let them know right away. Sorry your ring turned out wrong. You have a tough decision to make on the repairs. Some jewelers won't fix other jewelers work, so it may be hard to have anyone but them fix it.

Think they mean S/S for Single Stone, I have seen that written in the UK by jewellers.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure that will be helpful in the future. I've seen that a few times on eBay and didn't buy because I thought it meant something else. Glad I caught your post :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results