shape
carat
color
clarity

Reno of Vintage steel glider...!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome!!!! How old is your house? Even if it's not historical, I've read articles on how to add historical charm to any house no matter the age.

For instance, I found an antique fireplace surround and mantle on craigslist a while back. I thought it'd be perfect for a faux fireplace in a bedroom.

Our house is mid century 1959
but its an ex state house - houses built by the govt with affordable rent for working families
They were no frills
Well built with all the essentials but nothing more
she has beautiful native remu flooring but that's about it
Although the electrical had been upgraded nothing was improved- so bedrooms have one light and one electrical outlet
It makes me wonder how anybody read or did homework in such poor lighting
lots of windows but zero indoor outdoor flow on a nice sized section (plot?)
The interior mouldings and floors are also remu but have unfortunately had a rough life and it might be best most of them stayed painted over
At night if the neighbours are home i can see into their spare front bedroom and i weep to think our mouldings should look like that
i brought a 4l of fancy American paint stripper maybe just to do one room
But we would have to replace all the doors because every door has had a hole in at some stage and the repairs are not pretty
Gary is a retired builder and once he's well enough we'll get around to it
Most of the mouldings and archatraves (excuse spelling) are mismatched because of ongoing damage over the years by tennants
The govt sold a lot of its housing stock in the 80s and this became a tidy family home but then they moved and it became a private rental, i do not understand the uncontrollable anger that would inflict such damage to every door and interior wall in a house
So Iim m sure the house is enjoying the quiet we bring it
worse the last tenants abandoned their cat when they moved out (Our late Tibby in my avitar)
The old owner was a landscaper- not a builder - he did the best he could fixing it up for sale - but his repairs are ugly as sin)
I used to work behind the desk at a timber yard - i need to find a similar job again

We are painting her bright - very bright - lemon with a mid green roof - Although the roof doesn't need it yet
with a mid green trim and a colour called karaka on the base boards and side fences (thats a popular dark colour here - its like a greeny black)
But a white fence at the front
but Gary has to get well first
The bedrooms have wardrobes but are on the small size for double rooms
She's just a box and would never had anything as nice as your glider back in her day

we brought at a good time, we didn't over spend or need an unaffordable morgage, even with me not working full time and Gary retired we are better off than when we rented a one bedroomed 45m2 house in Wellington with us both working full time - we had a gready lazy private landlord so it was wonderful moving into a 4 bedroomed house with a separate laundry and an actual bath !
She was built to follow the sun but the bedrooms are a bit cold this time of year

A couple of the real estate pix
Also she needs insulation

Most state houses look similar but there were over 600 different plans so they do vary
we are in a row of 4 like us
i hate the front porch- there is no room for a deck because of the driveway and garage placement
But im thinking about a long pergola along the front - a house across the road of similar vintage but privately built has one and its easy on the eye

H0704-hires.5442-2017082833Hinemoa25.jpg

Attachments

• H0704-hires.16347-2017082833Hinemoa3-E.jpg
    H0704-hires.16347-2017082833Hinemoa3-E.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please excuse my going off on my own tangent
But i love mid century colour
it was like grey did not exist

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the aqua color feels more retro. I really like the navy blue one though..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results