shape
carat
color
clarity

Remember my World Record Attempt for Single Crocheted Granny Square?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like to crochet in Winter, helps keep my fingers out of the cookie jar and while Ive made a number of multiple granny square blankets I’m not as keen on sewing all the squares together as I am to, in a Zen state, go around and around and around the one square.
so that’s how it started.
A few years ago I came across what is the worlds largest single granny square. Yes, there is a world record and it’s just over 11 metres by 11 metres or 121 square metres. I could challenge that I thought. And I did.
so, at the end of Winter this year I thought I’m sure I’m about 13 metres x 13 metres. That was was goal.
obviously i need a large space to spread it out properly so I figured I’ll just wrangle out one side and give it a rough measure.
Ok, so I’m an overachiever it seems.
Rough measurement of one side is actually 17 metres.
and that’s the the joy of Maths my granny square 289 square metres.
more than twice the size of the current world record.
Wow.
I still have to organise an official measure but here are a few pictures.
excuse the dog hair, I crochet with two dog weights ha ha.

IMG_8730.jpeg IMG_8728.jpeg IMG_8715.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's amazing. And congratulations on beating the record.Now what will you do with it?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, that's awesome!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing!!!

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Wow-wee!! This is incredible!

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I feel it's apropriate posting that in a jewelry forum because just the cost of all that yarn, WHEW! How many hours do you think you've put into it at this point?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait, not to be totally naive here, but I thought a crocheted square is well, square, and you go round and round the four sides, growing it. How the heck do you make stripes?!!

P.S. In case its not clear, I'm impressed!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see you’re getting around the problem of having a lot of ends to work on! I’m curious though - how much yarn does it take to go once around at this point?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
As a fellow crochet enthusiast, may I just say well done! Congratulations on the achievement. I keep wanting to make a hexi cardigan, and I should actually go do that! Thanks for the inspiration. =)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait, not to be totally naive here, but I thought a crocheted square is well, square, and you go round and round the four sides, growing it. How the heck do you make stripes?!!

P.S. In case its not clear, I'm impressed!

It is a square, I just laid out one side, the other three sides worth are just in a huge mound out of frame. This photo was when it was about 4m x 4m.
IMG_1794.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see you’re getting around the problem of having a lot of ends to work on! I’m curious though - how much yarn does it take to go once around at this point?

I used 8ply 100 gram balls. One ball is about 270 metres of yarn. At the end, one row took just over 3 balls so about 850 metres of yarn.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you can find a space that will allow you to get a good photograph of that beauty, and I wish you much luck in getting it documented and into the record books!

dvj

Shiny_Rock
i like to crochet in Winter, helps keep my fingers out of the cookie jar and while Ive made a number of multiple granny square blankets I’m not as keen on sewing all the squares together as I am to, in a Zen state, go around and around and around the one square.
so that’s how it started.
A few years ago I came across what is the worlds largest single granny square. Yes, there is a world record and it’s just over 11 metres by 11 metres or 121 square metres. I could challenge that I thought. And I did.
so, at the end of Winter this year I thought I’m sure I’m about 13 metres x 13 metres. That was was goal.
obviously i need a large space to spread it out properly so I figured I’ll just wrangle out one side and give it a rough measure.
Ok, so I’m an overachiever it seems.
Rough measurement of one side is actually 17 metres.
and that’s the the joy of Maths my granny square 289 square metres.
more than twice the size of the current world record.
Wow.
I still have to organise an official measure but here are a few pictures.
excuse the dog hair, I crochet with two dog weights ha ha.

IMG_8730.jpeg IMG_8728.jpeg IMG_8715.jpeg

Well done!!!

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
OMG! Is it possible for you to lay the square out flat on a gymnasium or church hall floor for measurement, picture and preparation to send to in for the world record?

My hat is off to you, what an accomplishment for you and your nimble fingers.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! Is it possible for you to lay the square out flat on a gymnasium or church hall floor for measurement, picture and preparation to send to in for the world record?

My hat is off to you, what an accomplishment for you and your nimble fingers.

I just had the same thought! Gym floor. @Bron357 how do you even maneuver it around when you're working on it? Or do you have to move around it? Any idea what it weighs at this point? I know I get twitchy just having the weight of a sweater on my lap when I'm knitting, so I can't imagine this.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crikey, this has BLOWN MY MIND!!!! :kiss2:

What a brilliant thing to do! Definitely get it out on a hall floor somewhere to photograph so we can see the full glory.

And well done! It makes my fingers ache just looking at it :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a square, I just laid out one side, the other three sides worth are just in a huge mound out of frame. This photo was when it was about 4m x 4m.
IMG_1794.jpeg
OMG !
what a feet !
especially in your climate
i almost died from heat stroke making a crochet blanket that fitted a single bed
yours is very beautiful and neat

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is outstanding! You need an open field and someone with a drone to get a great aerial shot of your masterpiece.

YES! But not on "the" grass. How do your get grass, dirt and critters out of it!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:shock:Hot damn, I'd say you've done it and then some, that's quite an accomplishment! giphy (6).gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES! But not on "the" grass. How do your get grass, dirt and critters out of it!

Ok, a putting green. Or lay down some tarps? My mother used to photograph her quilts attached to the fence posts. Those, of course, were easier to fit inside a machine washer. Lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, a putting green. Or lay down some tarps? My mother used to photograph her quilts attached to the fence posts. Those, of course, were easier to fit inside a machine washer. Lol

OMG !
just imangine if it ever needs washing
1700630511539.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results