shape
carat
color
clarity

Reliably and repeatedly grading the color of diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As many of you know already, I have been a part of bringing the technological revolution to the diamond trade. This is still in its relative infancy, but big things are going on behind the scenes.

When a gemologist color grades a diamond, the stone is examined under controlled lighting and looked at several times as it is rolled around or moved while being compared to master stones.
In a proper color grading device one has far more choices. Of course, the light is well controlled and the diamond can be viewed as many times as one wishes, and at every degree of rotation. The trick is to determine how many times to take the color grade information from the stone and at how many degrees of rotation, to provide not only reliable, but repeatable data. This is not an easy task. The guys with PHD's have to compute these things, not gemologists.

The other trick is repeatability once the diamond is removed from the machine and later re-graded. The position of the diamond needs to be highly similar to its original position to obtain highly similar and repeatable color grades. There are several ways to do this, but it isn't of such great importance to discuss that issue. The main thing is to be aware that it is possible to do the work by machine with the proper refinements to the programming.

When a gemologist grades the color they are almost always pretty sure their grade is correct. Since up until now, no one's grade was based on repeatable data, there was no way to know who was correct or who was a grade off. To make up for this problem, gemologists and the GIA say a tolerance of one grade is acceptable and allowed. That's not such a bad thing with honest people. The problem has been the ABUSE of "one grade tolerance". There are several well known entities that see a diamond which honest graders would grade H or I over and over, yet these places grade it G and they get away with it for years, decades.

They use the one grade tolerance as their excuse and no one has done anything about it. In fact, who can do anything about such a practice when one has no data to prove an abuse truly exists? Heck, they are only a grade off, right?

I believe in the next year or so, we will have by then become familiar with the DATA to prove how a color grade has been objectively chosen. Places that have abused the 1 grade tolerance will find it increasingly difficult to withstand objective proof, repeatable data, that shows their lack of care, diligence, or negligence. While I occasionally have used the one grade tolerance excuse, I believe I have never knowingly abused it. Few independent appraisers would abuse this situation, but we all know who does. The sad thing is the amount of money made by creating false information. Every one of those dollars should have gone to honest practitioners. The world is not always a fair place.

If technology does not give us back the good old days of honesty and integrity, it may well serve to usher in new days of accuracy and objectivity. When you give up the old for the new, there will be changes, benefits and some old things you miss. When horses were replaced by cars, things changed forever. It was for the better, but some things about horses are a lot nicer than cars.........

Its going to be quite a trip in the coming year!.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Dave- Cool.
Of course you probably know that a machine which color grades diamonds was invented quite a few years ago.
GIA still uses human observation- which can lead to the one grade "slop factor"
Yet, that''s actually more representative of the actual way a polished diamond transmits color.
What I mean is that no diamond ever looks the same color in different lighting conditions- or even at different angles in the exact same lighting conditions.
Therefore the best we can hope for is an accurate average.
Gemologists ( and GIA) use established color samples to compare and verify what they think an "H" looks like.

If the machine ( called the "Colorimeter", I believe) says it''s an H- but it faces up like an I, well, whatareyougonnado? This does happen with that machine, I''ve experienced it.
So, we can NOT get an accurate fix, which is totally repeatable, on the color of a diamond- that''s why GIA''s color grades cover a range.
The darker the color, the greater the range.
If the distance between D and E is an inch, the distance between J and K is 6 inches- the distance between Fancy Yellow and Fancy Intense yellow is 2 feet!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thats nice.
Who is going to guard the guardians?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
it would be nice Dave.

Marty Haske already has this capacity with his SAS 200? and has data bases of GIA and other stones to work with.

David L - A diamond that is graded H but faces up I - that is not how it is done.
Only fancy colors are graded face up.

It is one of the problems I have with the fancy shapes you like to sell - an I radiant does face up lower than a well cut round I - but they are still both graded as I.
But the market does know this and discounts the radiant a fair bit for it i think.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I own and have used Marty''s SAS2000. It is a great spectrometer, but not anything of great importance to replicating GIA color grading via non-human grading. Sorry Marty, but it is just one more tool for color grading badly, not good enough for grading report reliability.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 8:20:06 AM
Author: oldminer
I own and have used Marty's SAS2000. It is a great spectrometer, but not anything of great importance to replicating GIA color grading via non-human grading. Sorry Marty, but it is just one more tool for color grading badly, not good enough for grading report reliability.

I would have to say I am in total disagreement with your observation regarding the SAS-2000, Dave.

I check the SAS grading against every certed stone which comes into my lab. The SAS-2000 consistently grades dead-on with GIA-GTL grading. The few times there is a difference, the SAS is usually slightly more conservative than GIA. Usually this is with fluorescent stones, as the SAS uses a UV blocking filter in its analysis.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When the Pricescope lab survey came out some time ago, I tried to track down any like-minded studies and reports and found more of a trail record that I would have expected. The 'secret' appears to have been out in the open for so long, it begs the question - does anyone need or want more precise grading at all?

Perhaps all it takes is a loud effort to package the controversy into persuading a reasonable large lot they need it. If someone has put forth the money it can only be good.
9.gif

GemData reports come with Gran2000 color grading and... who has heard about them
20.gif
Techno-speak alone doesn't seem to have what it takes to set up word-of-mouth based wildfire popularity after all.

319DIA.jpg

Anyway, the interesting thing about the now long discussion about better color grading is how quickly it shifts focus from the technically precise color as material property to some comfortably-unmeasurable optical illusion of 'face up' appearance. Could be a prophecy of what precise grades will be used for.

Too bad talk is cheap.
5.gif

Also, the cat and mouse game you describe (one-grade bias enabling persistent lack of arbitrage between labs) can be replicated at any level of technical precision. If it is not between competing clans of human graders, than between SAS and Mystery Machine. Who is going to be the judge there? If worse comes to worse, the battle of the beasts can always end up with the conclusion that the whole effort was too expensive and too precise. Who knows...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as there is a ton of money in misgraded diamonds and no punishment there will be no accepted solution.
When the FTC starts handing out multi-million dollar fines there might be some action towards more accurate grading.
Like anything else follow the $$$$$.

my 2c

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 8:20:06 AM
I own and have used Marty''s SAS2000. It is a great spectrometer, but not anything of great importance to replicating GIA color grading via non-human grading. Sorry Marty, but it is just one more tool for color grading badly, not good enough for grading report reliability.

Thanks Dave, for that vote of confidence, but one good turn deserves another:

1) Could it be that Imagem stock options (and consulting fees?) have gotten in the way of your technical objectivity.

2) Quite clearly in my contract, I said that neither the SAS2000, nor any machine, would perfectly reproduce GIA grades. I personally don’t know what your satisfaction threshold is.

3) Could it be that you haven’t been using it correctly, especially when it comes to the “dirty girdle syndrome” or grading heavily included stones.

4) Could it be that you haven’t paid attention to what I told you about the methodology with color grading fancy shaped diamonds, vis-a-vie round brilliants, and that the human has to be in the loop.

5) Could it be that you are seeing too many stones sold by “Vivid” and graded by certain GIA graders? (sarcasm)

6) Could it be that you have been putting too much faith in “GIA grades”, when it comes to fluorescent stones? http://www.adamasgem.com/giafluor.html

7) Could it be that you put too much faith in GIA grades period, and they take no responsibility or warranty for their grades, if you read the fine print on the back of their paper (and I suppose you have the same wording on the back of yours)

8) Could it be that I haven’t used the “Benefit of the Doubt” methodology that you seem to “bless” elsewhere?

9) Could it be that human color grading is more subjective and variable than “machine” color grading?

10) Could it be that, based on data given to me by GIA by request of AGS, and that you are well aware of, indicate that the one sigma uncertainty between any two, non AGS graded (by GIA) master stones, having the same nominal grade (ie two H’s), is on the order of 16% of a color grade range, and that I assign confidence bounds to each and every color grade, as I, and you should. In fact, I even RSS a 20% color grade range uncertainty into the numerical computed uncertainty to account for the fact that no machine could “perfectly” reproduce the somewhat imperfect human grading (time of day, shape of body, state of mind). Why don’t you read the color grading pdf.

11) Could it be that even “GIA masters” above the Royal Dutch Airlines grades are all over the place colormetrically, and there is going to be more variability there.

12) Could it be that General Electric was wrong when they used the SAS2000 to monitor the early Bellataire production, and they seemed to had found it satisfactory

13) Could it be that the DVIC, who were the chief valuators for the South African government, found it sufficient to help value the DeBeers stockpile, were wrong.

Now:
1) In the years I have used my SAS2000, I have personally found a greater consistency with AGS graded stones than with GIA graded stones.
2) I’m sorry you feel the way you do, but unfortunately I must consider the motivation behind your comments
3) Sarcastically, I should have protected myself from any criticism by including in my contract words that GIA has included for the use of their FacetWare cut grading software

“PUBLICITY. Licensee will not issue any press release or make any statement or announcement to the press, the public or any third party (including, without limitation, Licensee’s customers) which (i) reflects unfavorably on the Software or the performance of the Software, (ii) is false or misleading about GIA or the Software or (iii) is damaging to the reputation of GIA or the Software. This paragraph shall survive the termination of this Agreement.”

GemEval

Rough_Rock
I too, agree with Richard, and would have to say I am in total disagreement with your observation regarding the SAS2000, Dave.
I am a SAS2000 user for a number of years now and find it very accurate when it comes to AGS and GIA color grading. When it comes to other labs (which shall remain nameless), there is a chance that the color grades will not agree (SAS2000 is calibrated with GIA Master Diamonds).
I must say, however, that any machine has its'' limitations, the user must know and take these into consideration when making a call. I refer to diamonds in settings, high relief inclusions, colored inclusions, low clarity diamonds, fluorescent stones, diamonds with dirty girdles, diamonds that have not been properly cleaned, etc., etc.
I will also say that I do not always agree with the grade the SAS gives me, but I will also say that I do not always agree with the grade a ''major'' lab gives either. In addition, when possible, I grade with both the SAS and GIA Master Diamonds.
I would say that when the SAS is used properly it is extremely reliable.

John

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 12:41:17 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
it would be nice Dave.

Marty Haske already has this capacity with his SAS 200? and has data bases of GIA and other stones to work with.

David L - A diamond that is graded H but faces up I - that is not how it is done.
Only fancy colors are graded face up.
Garry- the fact is, that some diamonds which are H from behind face up like an I- or like a G- the fact that these colors are judged from behind simply exasserbates ( makes worse) the problem of trying for "repeatability" in color grading

It is one of the problems I have with the fancy shapes you like to sell - an I radiant does face up lower than a well cut round I - but they are still both graded as I.

Garry- you really hate radiants, don''t you?
Your statement about radiant color facing darker than any round diamond is very misleading. It''s just not true in every case.
For example- Fancy Colored Radiants are cut to increase the color, while colorless radiants can be cut to minimize color.
So a very well cut H color Radiant can indeed look just as white as a very well cut round H color.

But the market does know this and discounts the radiant a fair bit for it i think.

The reason Radiant Cuts are less than rounds on a per carat basis has to do with the amount of yeild from the rough. If you stick around here and read Garry, you might learn about this stuff.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 9:59:53 AM
Author: strmrdr
As long as there is a ton of money in misgraded diamonds and no punishment there will be no accepted solution.
When the FTC starts handing out multi-million dollar fines there might be some action towards more accurate grading.
Like anything else follow the $$$$$.

my 2c
Storm,
I agree- selling of misrepresented anything is criminal.
I agree- there are alot of sellers of diamonds misrepresenting.
BUT- there''s plenty of honest sellers giving their honest opinions- or trusting GIA.
Grading the color of a diamond will NEVER be a precise science.
What that means is, you need to use other paramters to judge the honety of a seller-
I don''t think it would be possible for the FTC to standardize color grading, any more than the trade could- neither really can.

I agree - bad sellers who are puposely dishonest should be punished- but not becasue they thought it was an I and someone else saw it as a J.

my 4c

Garry, I guess I should enroll with Marty, huh?

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Not to get in the mix, but just to offer my 2 cents on hands on experance.

I have one of the first SAS2000 (remember that)

I would have fun having the SAS2000 grade the diamond for color and then send the diamond into GIA for certifacation and have it come back the same color as the SAS2000 graded it. I also played with the SAS2000 the other way. I got in a GIA graded diamond and or even EGL and AGS lab reports. I knew the color grade from the certifacation a head of time , but the machine didnt. Funny how the SAS2000 always new what color it was. Yes, some times the SAS2000 didnt agree with the certifacation but when I put the diamond up next to some master stones I agreed that the machine was right and the cert was wrong.

Yes, Certs are wrong. Ive never found the machine to be nothing more then accurate. Like I have said I have one of the first SAS2000 color grading machines and it has only improved with technology since.

Machines replace human error. We need to replace Baseball Umpires with the same techonogy :)

I think if everybody did some research on who grades the diamonds at these labs (all of them) you would be shocked and would put your money on a machine to see what the right call is.

But for right now , no matter if the lab is right or wrong ? Its always right in the consumers eyes.

The labs are the final say. Pretty sad.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 3:51:39 PM
Marty your enrollment in ''How to Win Friends'' has been accepted.
On Monday at 9.00am we will beigin at 101

Garry, Perhaps you failed to notice the knife sticking out of my back..

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't have anything to add to this very interesting conversation other than...this might be the first time that three gemologist/appraisers have appeared on the same thread...all from Massachusetts...all within a 10 mile radius of each other...and all of us get along nicely...
Marty...call 911 to get the knife removed.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com
9.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Under the same conditions that GIA grades a diamond (loose) the SAS-2000 excells in its accuracy and consistency. It can grade loose stones all day long with GIA-GTL accuracy.

Another nice feature is that the SAS grades mounted stones, which GIA won''t even attempt. This involves more interaction by the user to determine if the mounting is influencing the color grade (just as you would visually). Simple solitaires and light mountings are usually not a problem, with the results still exhibiting GIA-GTL accuracy.

You can still color grade with the SAS on stones in heavier mountings, usually with a compensatory adjustment. This, combined with visual comparison against diamond masters, helps the user fine tune his analysis, usually arriving at a more accurate and consistent reading than relying on visual grading alone.

The influence of UV fluorescence can also be eliminated by using the UV blocking filter.

I''ll be curious to see how the ImaGem performs under these conditions.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2005 7:33:05 PM
Author: adamasgem

Date: 11/18/2005 3:51:39 PM
Marty your enrollment in ''How to Win Friends'' has been accepted.
On Monday at 9.00am we will beigin at 101

Garry, Perhaps you failed to notice the knife sticking out of my back..
emotion-5.gif

looks like plenty of people fighting to pull the knife out Marty.
But i am sure you can see some commo''s under the bed, or another conspiracy to get ya
36.gif

(BTW, he knows I am kidding.)

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dave,

If you want do good promotion for Imagem on PS, you need publish data about compare tests Imagem and other systems. With description of method such tests,

Empty declaration( Like Imagem is better than any real system or human grading) and attacks is not good for your and Imagem reputation/
You had 3 unsuccessful attempt: Grade Beauty, measure parameters, grade color.
In spite of all my respect to you , please change tactics.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2005 3:36:52 AM
Author: Serg

Dave,

If you want do good promotion for Imagem on PS, you need publish data about compare tests Imagem and other systems. With description of method such tests,

Empty declaration( Like Imagem is better than any real system or human grading) and attacks is not good for your and Imagem reputation/

You had 3 unsuccessful attempt: Grade Beauty, measure parameters, grade color.

In spite of all my respect to you , please change tactics.

well said serg.

Dave getting the people who you have managed to put off in this thread on board with demo''s and letting them verify the results will go a long way towards getting it accepted.
What you have been doing is only costing you respect and gaining nothing.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Rich

Could you describe the "interaction" required to grade a mounted stone with the SAS2000? I am completely ignorant about how one uses one of this things.

As for that knife, Marty, don''t worry about it. Dave ended up getting the worst of it in this thread.

Now, where do I send my "Win Friends" registration card?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 7:32:25 PM
Author: strmrdr
thats nice.
Who is going to guard the guardians?
Indeed......

Likely the same ones who guard the guardians on the Isee and the B/Scope and all the other toys, too.
1.gif
2.gif

Even then, there is no way to guard the users and how they represent those results to end customers.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its good to see the thoughts stimulated by this posting. I knew it would create responses and everyone likes to see a battle. There were bound to be those who support and use the SAS2000 in some color grading capacity jump to support it and of course, I knew Marty would respond, too.

The SAS2000 is the very best of what has been available for this purpose and I can see why those who spent so much for it wish to say how good it works. It does work, but few of these people would let this device color grade a diamond and then pay for the diamond just based on that grade. I suspect all would use another method to confirm the grade before spending money to purchase a stone for a certain color. It works most of the time pretty well, but our eyes work equally as well or better. What I hope to see it is the commercial availability of a device that does as well or BETTER than the eyes do the job.

To those who thought I was attacking, they are wrong. This is information and you are left to confirm it or learn more about it if you choose to do so. If you prefer to do things as you do them now, go right ahead. There are lots of people who are content with the status quo so don't be concerned if you are perfectly happy as things are.

I laid out my case for wanting to make things better. If you disagree, no problem, and if you also want to make things better, there will be opportunities in the years to come. Marty may someday get the funding to make further advances to the SAS2000. He knows I support his efforts from time to time. We can argue, disagree and also work together on occasion, too. I don't take the heat from Marty to heart. I learn from him nearly every time we communicate although he often talks way above my level of technical education. He is a founding member of the How to Win Friends Club. Strange, how few members are in the club!
31.gif

My ImaGem stock is all of 4/10 of 1% of non-voting stock and I never have gotten dime 1 from anything I have done with ImaGem as a consultant. I have not earned any money at all from ImaGem to date. So it isn't for the money. Its all for the opportunity to do something I enjoy. Money tends to spoil the joy found in some things. I'll gladly take the money when the revenues begin at some time, if it is offered, but I have no agreement for any payment. I hope those who might think I sold out can take some comfort from these facts. Its easy to imply someone is crooked or deceitful, but the facts speak for themselves in my defense. I am not worried about hurting my reputation in making this posting, either. I am speaking the truth and although some may have doubts, the truth will eventually win out and be recognized.

My shortest fuse is the issue of certain labs knowingly misusing the one grade tolerance to benefit their business over honest appraisers and honest labs. It is my hope that scientific color grading will end their BS grading. It surely will help end it or reduce its frequency. Had the SAS2000 or any other color device done this, it would have been wonderful.

I live in America, where one can fairly criticize a product, the one grade tolerance, bad trade practices or where others can also criticize me for speaking my mind. We all have to have broad shoulders to carry the burden of free speech. I might have better have titled this thread: "Reliably, repeatedly and correctly grading the color of diamonds". That's what I meant in the first place.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock

Dave,

Your comment "I can see why those who spent so much for it wish to say how good it works."

In the Midwest I would say you just called me a liar! But I will just take it as your east coast attitude.

Here in the Midwest we tend to speak the truth. What I said was from my experience with the SAS2000, I’m sorry it does not help your case. I am one of those that would rely on the SAS2000 for a decision on a diamond vs human error at GIA anyday.

My question is why do you seem to be the only man in your corner of the ring?

Anyway, just for the books my statement was from my experience with the SAS2000 not for what I paid for it years ago. I guess if I worried about what I bought for the money and performance, I would not be driving a H2 hummer.
Happy holidays.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2005 12:03:15 PM

The SAS2000 is the very best of what has been available for this purpose and I can see why those who spent so much for it wish to say how good it works.
I think there is an off-the-mark implication here......that buyers of that device feel "obligated" to think/say it works well simply because of the cost.

Dave, any consumer will return a product that does not perform to their expectations, whether that product costs $25, $250, $2500, or $25000. If something doesn''t work, it doesn''t work.....regardless of what was paid for it.

As consumers of that device, I trust that Rich S. or Iceman would have been smart enough to simply return it for a refund if it didn''t perform as they expected.
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think the amount I spent for the SAS-2000 was a bargain. Where else can you find a spectrophotometer of such accuracy with such versatility for only 20 grand?

Not only does it color grade diamonds, but has a multitude of other diamond and colored stone capabilities.

For diamond color grading, the next best instrument that I'm familiar with costs $6,000 and operates at a far less level of accuracy than the SAS.

I don't have any knowledge of the ImaGem's track record. I'd be curious to know. Perhaps there is some kind of comparative analysis that we could do along with the help of PriceScope and interested vendors. Something similar to the GIA vs AGS vs EGL comparative study.

We could do an ImaGem vs SAS-2000 vs Gran Colorimeter comparison. A blind study with documented results. I think the industry would find it very interesting. I know I would.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2005 10:34:31 AM
Author: Rank Amateur
Hey Rich

Could you describe the 'interaction' required to grade a mounted stone with the SAS2000? I am completely ignorant about how one uses one of this things.

It's pretty cool actually, Rank. On loose, clean stones the SAS-2000 grades with a nice clean graph with the proper "slope". These grades are extremely reliable, and as a former dealer I (like IceMan) would not hesitate to buy based on these readings. As I mentioned before, the grading is consistent GIA-GTL grading, with any differences usually being slightly more conservative on the SAS's part.

On diamonds with "dirty girdles" (having metallic "tweezer dust" or "prong dust" residue) and on mounted stones, the SAS detects the metallic influence and shows it by the presence of an increased slope angle. It then has the capability to make a "dirty girdle" correction which repositions the slope of the graph to the proper angle.

Bear in mind that these are problematic stones that a gemologist would ordinarily have more difficulty in color grading because of the presence of a mounting, prongs, or metallic residue on the girdle. These things can affect the visual appearance of a diamond and make color grading that much more difficult. Graders usually expect this with mounted stones in mountings of various weights and colors, but not many realize the effect that metallic residue on the girdle can have on their visual perception. The SAS is a great help in this area, alerting the grader to this scenario.

But to answer your question specifically about mounted stones, the SAS does a correction to the slope of the graph induced by the metallic contact on the diamond and the amount of light absorbed in the grading sphere by the mounting. The heavier the mounting, the more metallic content and the more light abosorption. The SAS corrects for this, and then the grader examines the diamond to determine in his opinion whether the SAS corrected properly, over-corrected or under-corrected.

I find that in cases of simple solitaires and light mountings the SAS usually corrects properly, and with heavy mountings (or bezel set stones, etc.) usually under-corrects, resulting in a more conservative (rather than liberal) grade than the stone actually is.

This is where the human steps in, pats the machine on its head for its best effort, and then assigns the final grade based on his or her observation, experience and grading abilities.

Again, these situations are with mounted stones which are always problematic in color grading, whether using a machine or the eye. GIA won't even attempt to assign grades on mounted stones. So we're talking about a machine which is a considerable help to the gemologist operating in the real world of appraising predominantly mounted stones.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/19/2005 3:07:11 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Personally, I think the amount I spent for the SAS-2000 was a bargain. Where else can you find a spectrophotometer of such accuracy with such versatility for only 20 grand?

Not only does it color grade diamonds, but has a multitude of other diamond and colored stone capabilities.

For diamond color grading, the next best instrument that I''m familiar with costs $6,000 and operates at a far less level of accuracy than the SAS.

I don''t have any knowledge of the ImaGem''s track record. I''d be curious to know. Perhaps there is some kind of comparative analysis that we could do along with the help of PriceScope and interested vendors. Something similar to the GIA vs AGS vs EGL comparative study.

We could do an ImaGem vs SAS-2000 vs Gran Colorimeter comparison. A blind study with documented results. I think the industry would find it very interesting. I know I would.
I have a Gran.

I would never present it as anything like as the quality of the SAS and I rarely use it for this reason but, if it would be helpful, I''ll be happy to participate in a study with it. I like my diamond master set and calibrated lighting.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone-
I''m definately out of the loop here- could someone clear up a few questions I have?
1) I used a machine- at least 10 years ago- I believe it cas called a "Colorimeter". It printed out a label showing the color- even where it fell within the particular color grade.
Is that related in any way to Marty''s machine?

2) at the current state of the art, how does the machine treat a Fancy Colored diamond?

The one I used all those years ago was quite accurate, and quite costly.
Although the machine was accurate, that still did not guarantee that GIA would agree. For that reason, using it to make buying decisions on large diamonds was still a large gamble- as it would still be today I''m sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results