shape
carat
color
clarity

Reliability of Canadian diamond origin assurances (article)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
The Ottawa Citizen (Ottawa, Canada) ran an article Dec. 31 sourced from the Montreal Gazette about trademark issues with the term ''Canadian Diamond''.

There is a somewhat troubling passage in the article regarding documentation of Canadian origin :

"...the provenance of diamonds is still not a sure thing, Kimberley Process notwithstanding.

Rough stones move around the world to be sorted, valued or cut, and they can travel in and out of developing countries. They can have documentation, but there is no forensic test that can trace the stone back to its country of origin.

Diamonds, rough or cut, travel in packages described by weight. Individual diamonds can be switched "like peanuts" from one package to another, Mr. Ben-Oleil said. "As well, larceny lives in the heart of man, so if there is an advantage for someone''s diamond to be Canadian...it will be", the former head of the Canadian Diamond Manufacturers Association said."

Any comments on this?

Mark

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. only worth doing if there is a commercial advantage - and as a jeweller who has still got some original Aurias BHP diamonds in stock after 3 years......?????????

2. You assume developing countries have lessor ethics.

Shame on you!!

Give me the word of a Jain Indian diamond manufacturer or dealer over a hand shake or legal contract with most other nationalities or ethnic groups any day.

3. As i understand it - the policing is done by the Canadian Govt via audits of BHP Billiton and Riotinto for stones that are sent to 3rd world countries. Why would those companies want to see their customers promote stones from other countries that they did not selll? Do you think these companies are totally naive and there is no relationship with their clients?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
can it happen .. yes
does it happen .. on a large scale Id say no
the risks arent worth the gain

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
ot:
Garry a client who does a lot of import/export says the same thing about Indian manufacturers of other goods especially compared to the China and Japan based ones.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/7/2006 6:50:22 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Shame on you!!

I am glad that people are posting the comments and opinions.

Just want to reiterate though that the developing countries ethics implication was from the newspaper quote, not me.

Although I didn''t buy my FI a Canadian Diamond, as a Canadian I suppose I feel a certian pride in the fact that our diamonds are considered "clean". It would be a shame if this was being tarnished by misrepresentation.

Mark

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/7/2006 4:31:52 PM
Author: plg_cp

Date: 1/7/2006 6:50:22 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Shame on you!!
Just want to reiterate though that the developing countries ethics implication was from the newspaper quote, not me.
Mark
Thats good Mark.
Storm there are plenty of people I have come across in India who I would not trust over a tube of tooth paste. But the Jain religion and many of the successful Patel Hindu''s that I have had dealings with are wonderful people.
I have one supplier who i leave chipped stone recuts with, and pick up on my next visit. I never even bother to count or itemize the stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results