shape
carat
color
clarity

Regional slang and phrases

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2007 10:33:22 AM
Author: AGBF

Date: 11/16/2007 10:07:39 AM
Author: anchor31
Oh my, I don''t even know where to start. Us Quebecers have a WEIRD accent (the Francophones anyway!)

When I heard some French Canadians speaking French at the beach here in the United States it took me a very long time to figure out that it was French (which I try to speak)! I would have guessed it was a language I didn''t know (like Russian), not one with which I was somewhat familiar (like Italian or Spanish or German), except that I started to hear words that I knew. The longer I listened, the more words I heard. Finally I recognized that I really knew a lot of the words and then it dawned on me that I was hearing French! I know it is my own limitation only to have heard French spoken with one accent. My French needs work!

Deborah
34.gif
That''s hilarious. We really really don''t speak like the French do, so I understand that people might get confused!
9.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 3:15:42 PM
Author: misysu2

Date: 11/16/2007 5:21:35 PM
Author: EBree

You must have been in Austin, huh?
10.gif

Texas often does have two names for the freeways. In Dallas, Highway 75 is also called ''Central''. Some are mostly called by their names, others by their number.

I''m from Texas, but apparently, I have *no* trace of a southern accent. Every time I tell someone I''m from Texas, they say, ''But you don''t have an accent at all!'', as if it''s unbelievable. One guy even told me I sounded like I was from Connecticut, whatever that means.

The only thing I can think of that we say in Texas is ''y''all'', which I''m guilty of sometimes. As for calling a soda a ''coke'', my whole family does it. It doesn''t matter what kind of soda I''m offering, I still say, ''Want a coke?''
Ebree- I was in Austin for a while when I first moved down here. I''m now in Houston, and they do the same thing. I STILL can''t listen to the traffic report, because I never know which interstate they''re talking about!!! Grr!!!

Another funny thing- I took that accent quiz and it told me I was just American. It''s pretty funny because I''m from central Illinois. People from Chicago tell me I have a southern accent, and people from St. Louis tell me I have a Minnesota/Canada accent!!
4.gif
mmmm let''s see

I-10 is the Katy freeway
290 is the northwest freeway
59 is the southwest freeway
45 splits between the north freeway and the gulf freeway
north loop, west loop, south loop, etc...I guess is pretty obvious as in it all refers to 610

I know there is more.
I just go by numbers because I have to think too hard when someone calls the road by name!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
This Pittsburghese is CRACKING ME UP! SOOOO true!

We run the sweeper and drink pop, too.
2.gif

And let''s not forget:

Mause and Hause. As in, "EEK! There''s a MAUSE in the HAUSE!"

I swear, you can be ANYWHERE in the world and tell within 2 sentences when someone is from Pittsburgh!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Not quite regional slang but I thought this was "wicked" funny and would post it in any case!
DB
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forget Rednecks .......here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about New Englanders...

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from September through May, you live in New England.

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don''t work there, you live in New England.

If you''ve worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in New England.

If you''ve had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you live in New England.

If "Vacation" means going anywhere south of New York City for the weekend, you live in New England.

If you measure distance in hours, you live in New England.

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you live in New England.

If you have switched from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again, you live in New England.

If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England.

If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you live in New England.

If you carry jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you live in New England.

If you design your kid''s Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you live in New England.

If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you''re going 80 and everybody is passing you, you live in New England.

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you live in New England.

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you live in New England.

If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England.

If you find 10 degrees "a little chilly", you live in New England.

If there''s a Dunkin Donuts on every corner, you live in New England.

If you actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all your New England friends & others, you live in New England.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results