shape
carat
color
clarity

Refraction question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
Ok this freaked me out today. I cought a glimps of my diamond in the mirror and there was a double refraction.
In otherwords, the reflection of the stone doubled in the mirror.

This freaked me out so I went straight to a jewler and had the stone tested. It tested diamond. So why is it double refracting ?

Or do all diamonds do this in a mirror and I have just never noticed. Thanks

Jensia

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Jensia

What you've described does not sound like refraction. It is reflection. It could also be glare ( reflection of the surface ). And it isn't the diamond, it is the glass in your mirror that is most likely causing this effect. Changing the angle of the position can cause an image that appears doubled.

This is probably particularly true if you saw it in your rear view mirror where it has a night day type thingy.

So not to worry.

Rockdoc

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
I saw it in my bathroom mirror. So I put my fake stones up to the mirror and they did the same thing. It remined me of when looking at my moms moassinte and I could see the double glare with my eye, but this was in the mirror. It freaked me out,lol

I learned something new though! I was reading on simulants trying to learn about this, and came across a site that
shows the properties of different gemstones. I have an antque ring that to this day no one knows what the stone is, and it looks like a J colored diamond. Has more fire than my real one. Anyway, I was reading in the 1940''s they used a stone that was
synthetic rutile that looked liked lower colored diamonds , with a yellowsish tint( as my 5 carat vintage does) . I think I finally solved the mystery of my mystery stone! Im so excited,lol When I get a good camera Ill have to post pitures of that ring on here. Its so amazing.

Anwyay, so its just a reflection then, not refraction? Thank God. That had me freaked. I wonder why I never noticed it before with my other rings.

Jenia

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh I feel so silly. When I looked in the mirror again I realized I can also see a double of the gold,lol
Haha, I tell ya Im too paranoid:))

Jensia

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Now you can relax....

Rockdoc

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a common phenomenon...at oblique angles you are seeing one reflection from the surface of the glass of the mirror, and another from the silvered back side of the mirror glass...separated by the depth of the mirror glass. This can be seen clearly by setting stones on a mirror and looking at different angles.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results