shape
carat
color
clarity

Red tourmaline/rubellite

Hello all,

We were discussing red tourmaline in another thread, and it got me browsing. I have a vivid fuchsia tourm already, but wanted a truer red one. These are both just over 3ct. The heart is obviously more red, which is what I'm after, but the oval is cleaner. Truthfully, I'm tired of ovals... I have so many... but I want the better stone regardless of shape. These were both specifically advertised as "not enhanced" on JTV (the majority of rubellites offered there are treated). Since I have a relationship with George, the senior buyer, I feel very confident when he assures me something is untreated. In any event, which do you like better?

TIA,
Autumn
collage.jpg

The heart! The color is beautiful.

Glad to hear it... :D I love her too! I hope it's vibrant in person. They can be disappointingly dark/dull. And perhaps it'll be relatively clean at eye level. How's your dear hubby?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

We were discussing red tourmaline in another thread, and it got me browsing. I have a vivid fuchsia tourm already, but wanted a truer red one. These are both just over 3ct. The heart is obviously more red, which is what I'm after, but the oval is cleaner. Truthfully, I'm tired of ovals... I have so many... but I want the better stone regardless of shape. These were both specifically advertised as "not enhanced" on JTV (the majority of rubellites offered there are treated). Since I have a relationship with George, the senior buyer, I feel very confident when he assures me something is untreated. In any event, which do you like better?

TIA,
Autumn
collage.jpg

I prefer pinkish reds, so I like the oval better.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah that heart is something special.

Heart!!!!!!!

But you shouldn’t trust my answer because……

IMG_0355.jpeg

I LOVE HER SO MUCH!! Are those mandarins? I was thinking of using them with this stone (if I end up liking it)! I think we may have similar tastes... :lol:

Actually, I don't remember the PSer, but a while back she posted a hot pink spinel set with spessartines. I fell madly in love with the color combo (so tropical). Did you have this ring made or buy it like that?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE HER SO MUCH!! Are those mandarins? I was thinking of using them with this stone (if I end up liking it)! I think we may have similar tastes... :lol:

Actually, I don't remember the PSer, but a while back she posted a hot pink spinel set with spessartines. I fell madly in love with the color combo (so tropical). Did you have this ring made or buy it like that?

Yellow sapphires! And the bottom row is pink sapphires. I needed something tough for the halo because she’s a big ring!

I had it made! I discovered I could use colour melee so went a bit nuts!

Looks like you’ve decided on the heart!!!!

Chop chop, get setting girl so we can see some rings!
1237406b7veqvezy7.gif

You're such a cheerleader... I love it.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the heart better. Can't wait to see what you get!

I like pinkish reds too, but this red on this heart is too good a combo to pass on.

P.S. I still want your emojis.

I downloaded the whole motherload, as you can see! I hope this heart doesn't go dark (that sounds ominous... lol) in person. I'll be sorely disappointed. And I don't want another fuchsia tourm either. We shall see! The clarity doesn't bother you? I'll need it to be clean at eye level...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to warm you that although I have purchased from JTV before, they often enhance loose gemstone images. That being said, I did get a great Benitoite mineral specimen from them recently at a very good price.

They also have a great return policy.

I just want to warm you that although I have purchased from JTV before, they often enhance loose gemstone images. That being said, I did get a great Benitoite mineral specimen from them recently at a very good price.

They also have a great return policy.

So here's the thing (I've learned). These are not their photos (which is why you'll often see the same ones listed elsewhere, like Africa Gems). They use vendor photos. Some vendors' photos are more accurate than others. The frustrating thing is that you never know which is which. I've received gems from JTV that were way better than their photos and ones that looked nothing like them. I guess we'll find out! I'd also love to see your benitoite if you're inclined to share!!

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Listen to your friends, the heart is a purer red. Lovely.
Do you have any 'life' shots to judge how those inclusions look?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I downloaded the whole motherload, as you can see! I hope this heart doesn't go dark (that sounds ominous... lol) in person. I'll be sorely disappointed. And I don't want another fuchsia tourm either. We shall see! The clarity doesn't bother you? I'll need it to be clean at eye level...

Well…. No, not really, but that’s just me. I have a couple of gems that are eye clean to the point where it becomes difficult to find something even with a loupe, I have more gems that are totally included and… I couldn’t care less. My eyes are drawn to strong, saturated colours, and if the colour is great, then the clarity becomes secondary.

But if it’s important to you, if your eyes notice it and if inclusions bother you, then that’s that I guess. Best to see it and judge by yourself. We all know how photos can be deceiving.

Can someone please take a stab at which shape would work best as side stones for a heart? Or is that simply not done (a 3 stone ring with a heart at center)? Because I can't make anything work. I read that pears are sometimes used... or rounds... or cushions. :wall:My gut says halo, but I have so many.

Listen to your friends, the heart is a purer red. Lovely.
Do you have any 'life' shots to judge how those inclusions look?

I think I'll give her a try!! Yeah, JTV doesn't "do" extra photos or videos. :naughty: So it's hit or miss. I think I'm going to grab the stone from Marc anyway, because it's like $600 less. lol But I love the stretch pays on JTV. :dance:

Last edited:
Well…. No, not really, but that’s just me. I have a couple of gems that are eye clean to the point where it becomes difficult to find something even with a loupe, I have more gems that are totally included and… I couldn’t care less. My eyes are drawn to strong, saturated colours, and if the colour is great, then the clarity becomes secondary.

But if it’s important to you, if your eyes notice it and if inclusions bother you, then that’s that I guess. Best to see it and judge by yourself. We all know how photos can be deceiving.

Indeed... I'll update the post when she arrives! Sometimes these cheap gems can be the most fun, you know?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's the thing (I've learned). These are not their photos (which is why you'll often see the same ones listed elsewhere, like Africa Gems). They use vendor photos. Some vendors' photos are more accurate than others. The frustrating thing is that you never know which is which. I've received gems from JTV that were way better than their photos and ones that looked nothing like them. I guess we'll find out! I'd also love to see your benitoite if you're inclined to share!!

I don’t want to hijack your thread, but it’s in several of their online videos. It’s the matrix specimen at 8:57 in this video

Anyways, I suspected they got their loose gems from other online vendors, but wasn’t sure. I’ve returned more than I’ve kept, but again, returns are never a worry. I usually go to them for silver ring settings.

I don’t want to hijack your thread, but it’s in several of their online videos. It’s the matrix specimen at 8:57 in this video

Anyways, I suspected they got their loose gems from other online vendors, but wasn’t sure. I’ve returned more than I’ve kept, but again, returns are never a worry. I usually go to them for silver ring settings.

That's lovely... and interesting, to say the least. I was just having this discussion with another collector - that I'd love to have a specimen assemblage.

JTV does source many of their own gems, but again, you just never know which is which. And I like consistency...

Reactions: T L

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Can someone please take a stab at which shape would work best as side stones for a heart? Or is that simply not done (a 3 stone ring with a heart at center)? Because I can't make anything work. I read that pears are sometimes used... or rounds... or cushions. :wall:My gut says halo, but I have so many.

I have a suggestion, but it's not a three stone.

20220420_163510-jpg.887716

From this old thread.

It's a popular design and I believe it will work lovely with a heart.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results