shape
carat
color
clarity

Red spinel in WG or YG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, I have been wanting to set my little red spinel for some time.

My problem is, is that I am wishy washy on setting it in WG or YG.

I think the stone looks nice it both, what do you all generally prefer?

Do you have any examples of how a similar color stone turned out once set?

I am torn because I found a setting that speaks to me (for some odd reason-it is kind of a different setting) and it is all 18kt WG.

I am worried that one color will make the stone darker over another once set.

1.04ct red spinel 6.4mm Finewater.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Do you have some more photos or just this one from a vendor? Having a look at a specific shade of color in normal lighting conditions might make the rest of us more helpful
2.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I do somewhere and have been looking for them, will continue to do so ;-)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Here is an OK pic, not the setting I am pondering for it though.

1.04ct red spinel in WG.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
My first impression is that it wouldn''t look it''s best in a plain WG setting, cause the color is quite dark in tone, but not very vivid. It might be better with some diamonds in the shank or somewhere, but I think it would be safer to go with yellow. If you''re not crazy about YG, then two tone might work nicely also.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
IRL the color isn't quit so purplely red, more of a deep brink red with orange and pink flashes-that is one reason I was thinking YG. I actually love YG too, I am pretty easy that way :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2009 10:30:06 AM
Author: stepcutnut
IRL the color isn''t quit so purplely red, more of a deep brink red with orange and pink flashes-that is one reason I was thinking YG. I actually love YG too, I am pretty easy that way :)
I agree. Brick red looks best in yellow gold IMO.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
YG it will probably be, I have been leaning that way, but then put the stone into an empty 18kt WG setting and thought it looked nice too.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly... I think WG will do it more justice as YG may enhance the brown/rust tones in the stone. I really think the stone will pop in WG. Have you done a photoshop of it in YG?? If the setting you liked was in WG.... then I would trust your first instinct.
1.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 11:16:37 AM
Author: cushioncutnut
Honestly... I think WG will do it more justice as YG may enhance the brown/rust tones in the stone. I really think the stone will pop in WG. Have you done a photoshop of it in YG?? If the setting you liked was in WG.... then I would trust your first instinct.
1.gif
Thanks for your opinion CCN, I too really like it in WG and then I made the mistake of putting it in RG and I LOVE IT too!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking something like this ;-)

18kt WG swoopy RB setting.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I like that setting - what about having the north and south prongs in yellow gold, and the rest in white?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
MP-interesting, I hadn't thought about that! Thanks :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Or maybe this one would look better!?!?!

18kt WG swoopy RB setting with grey spinel.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh what a cool setting! hmmm... wonder what the rose gold would look like??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have pictures of the stone next to yellow and rose gold? I''m inclined to go with yellow to lessen the dark contrast.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool spinel and super cool setting! Personally I prefer YG, though I can''t say I can really picture what it would look like with rose gold.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 4:41:43 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
ooh what a cool setting! hmmm... wonder what the rose gold would look like??
It looked really nice with the stone, maybe brought out more of the blue flashes in the stone.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 4:48:46 PM
Author: Chrono
Do you have pictures of the stone next to yellow and rose gold? I''m inclined to go with yellow to lessen the dark contrast.
I thought I did, but I cannot find the pics on this computer-I will try for some others this week. I''d say the YG brings out the orange flashes.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 4:51:44 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Cool spinel and super cool setting! Personally I prefer YG, though I can't say I can really picture what it would look like with rose gold.
Thanks and thanks! The lavender gray spinel will be here this week sometime. YG certainly warms up the stone, which I love-but the RG was kind of in the middle, some brought out some warm and some cool tones in different lighting.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''d like the red stone in yellow gold. I think it would show the colour best.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely yellow. Lovely stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results