shape
carat
color
clarity

Recutting Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2009 10:00:56 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
I don''t think the discussion here is (top color, poor cut), vs. (poor color precision cut), it''s; can a good cut improve a good color stone. My feeling is that it can. Apparently others feel that it can not, and that in fact a ''precision cut'' makes a stone loose color, emphasize zoning and cause extinction.
My opinion is that a good cut will not always improve a good coloured stone. It might for a good percentage though.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/3/2009 6:39:54 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 7/30/2009 11:08:19 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
From a consumer''s point of view .......... this is a Paraiba Tourmaline that I bought - fully aware of the hideous window. I did think I could live with it. I can''t. I''m pretty convinced that re-cutting would enhance the colour and return to the centre of the gemstone. Could I live with a smaller gemstone? Yes because it''s just sitting in a box and will never be worn otherwise! Will I take the risk of a re-cut? Yes because again, it will only sit in a box otherwise! What use is that?!
I''m getting a strong sense of Déjà vu about this, so maybe I''ve offered this suggestion to you before LD, but consider contacting Tony Lloyd-Rees about your stone. He does restoration cutting and re-cuts as his core business I believe. He did an amazing job for a damaged emerald belonging to a friend.
Gailey - thank you. You did recommend him to me before and I took a look at his website. However, his website is not very inspiring and it didn''t make me want to send my precious gemstone to him. I know that''s probably silly but I''d want a recut performed by somebody whose work I''ve seen. So for example, I did contact Gene as I own a number of his gemstones and really appreciate their beauty and would have entrusted him with a recut but unfortunately he doesn''t undertake such work. Although I''ve never personally seen Michael''s work, his website makes me go "ooooooooh", as does John Dyer and several others. I know I''m being fussy but if this lovely stone is going to have some work done I want to feel happy that it''s being done by somebody who will deliver an exceptionally beautiful recut! I''d love to see before and after pictures of your friends Emerald recut though - it might change my mind
2.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tony''s a member of a large on-line faceters group and has put together a set of videos of his cutting of different stones on YouTube. Very interesting and informative, (he''s got a cool accent too). Check it out here: Tony''s video''s

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2009 3:03:59 PM
Author: Michael_E
Tony''s a member of a large on-line faceters group and has put together a set of videos of his cutting of different stones on YouTube. Very interesting and informative, (he''s got a cool accent too). Check it out here: Tony''s video''s
Thank you so much for the information and by the way, his accent is the same as mine - I thank you Mr E!
1.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/4/2009 12:36:27 PM
Author: Chrono

My opinion is that a good cut will not always improve a good coloured stone. It might for a good percentage though.

Chrono, could you explain to me the logic for this reasoning? On what types of stones wouldn''t a good cut be advantageous over a lesser quality cut?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 8/3/2009 10:37:38 PM
Author: serenitydiamonds
Date: 7/30/2009 3:27:39 PM

I am afraid I have to agree with TL on this one too. I’d rather take a poorly cut stone with great vivid colour over a precision cut stone with poor colour.

I don't think the discussion here is (top color, poor cut), vs. (poor color precision cut), it's; can a good cut improve a good color stone. My feeling is that it can. Apparently others feel that it can not, and that in fact a 'precision cut' makes a stone loose color, emphasize zoning and cause extinction.
Sure a precision cut can improve color, and sometimes it can not improve color. There is no guarantee, that's the issue I think we're going around and around on.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 3:50:37 PM

Thank you so much for the information and by the way, his accent is the same as mine - I thank you Mr E!
1.gif
And mine!

I should have mentioned the you tube video, but I didn''t have the link. I''d google him, he''s a long way from home, but he sure as heck knows his stuff!

I''m sure it''s worth a conversation with him even if you don''t take it any further.

Let us know progress LD.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2009 7:12:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 8/3/2009 10:37:38 PM
Author: serenitydiamonds
Date: 7/30/2009 3:27:39 PM

I am afraid I have to agree with TL on this one too. I’d rather take a poorly cut stone with great vivid colour over a precision cut stone with poor colour.

I don''t think the discussion here is (top color, poor cut), vs. (poor color precision cut), it''s; can a good cut improve a good color stone. My feeling is that it can. Apparently others feel that it can not, and that in fact a ''precision cut'' makes a stone loose color, emphasize zoning and cause extinction.
Sure a precision cut can improve color, and sometimes it can not improve color. There is no guarantee, that''s the issue I think we''re going around and around on.
Gene,
TL just took the words right out of my mouth.
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2009 1:12:04 AM

1.gif
And mine!

I should have mentioned the you tube video, but I didn''t have the link. I''d google him, he''s a long way from home, but he sure as heck knows his stuff!

I''m sure it''s worth a conversation with him even if you don''t take it any further.

Let us know progress LD.
Well, I must be looking at the wrong videos because I''m not impressed
32.gif
I still feel the same way unfortunately so don''t think I will contact him. He sounds nice (!) but ..............

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 3:38:59 PM

Date: 8/5/2009 1:12:04 AM

1.gif
And mine!

Let us know progress LD.
Well, I must be looking at the wrong videos because I''m not impressed
32.gif
I still feel the same way unfortunately so don''t think I will contact him. He sounds nice (!) but ..............
Fair enough LD, but did you watch The emerald restoration video

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results