shape
carat
color
clarity

Rec''s for finding a setting for a white topaz cusion (dug out of the ground by me and my significan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tropicalbarbi

Rough_Rock
My SO and I went fossicking (digging for gemstones) in Australia and ended up finding a ton of clear topaz rough stones. We had a few faceted and now I need to find a setting for them. I would like to use the cushion in a ring. It is 3.07 cts and 8.3mm - was thinking of one of Sally''s Lotus ring settings in yellow gold but as the stone is relatively large, would the ring be top heavy and tilt to the side?

Are there any similar settings or something of that style as an option?

Any advice would help! Thanks so much!

the hard work!

the rough stones

cut into a "nigerian cushion & emerald"

Sorry this is my first post and not sure how to make the photos actually come up in the post!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoohoo! Gorgeous stones mate. Welcome Tropicalbarbi!
35.gif

Where did you go fossicking? I''m also near a fossicking area in NSW but don''t have the gear to do it properly.

I always wanted to do that - get my own stones cut. Kinda makes it extra special that you dug it up.

You will get lots of ideas on PS. Don''t forget to post pics once it''s done. (BTW - your links worked fine)

9.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I have "stabilized" Sally''s rings with gold or silver bands on either side, and a snug size of all three rings, and for me it works well. My biggest stone in one of those settings is 8x10mm and now I''m getting her new design Lush Lotus with a 10mm natural blue topaz.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think that Sally has some large stones recently set into the lotus setting. She can modify the setting to make it work for a bigger stone. That might mean a slightly thicker band, and the head will be larger for sure, so expect the costs to be slightly high than the typical lotus prices she has up.

I have some of her rings, they are pretty, but thin. If I were getting one of her settings for an everyday ring, I would ask her to make it with more "substance."

tropicalbarbi

Rough_Rock
HotPozzum - Thanks - I was living in Australia for 2 yrs and have just returned to Canada! We went fossicking in Mt Surprise which is in N Queensland. We went on a tour and found those stones that I got cut (along with a number of other un-facetable stones) but were looking for topaz (more commonly white and blue), and aquamarine. We found a lot of smokey topaz as well. My boyfriend also took a course at the local gem shop in which he got to facet a stone into a round solitaire. It turned out great! All these things you can do in the town of 60 people of Mt. Surprise!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 1:00:24 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker

I have some of her rings, they are pretty, but thin. If I were getting one of her settings for an everyday ring, I would ask her to make it with more ''substance.''

Good point, LtlFirecracker, I second this!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 11:36:13 PM
Author: mariedtiger
Hi,

I have ''stabilized'' Sally''s rings with gold or silver bands on either side, and a snug size of all three rings, and for me it works well. My biggest stone in one of those settings is 8x10mm and now I''m getting her new design Lush Lotus with a 10mm natural blue topaz.

Hmm, I may have to try this since even my little lotus is prone to rotating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results