shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations on Antique ring

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I have an antique ring that was well loved, I would really like to have it restored as much as possible.

There is A LOT of milgrain work on the filigree that has worn down, it is literally all the way around the ring.

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for who does great work on replacing very fine milgrain to an antique Platinum ring? I know there are quit a few that do milgrain, but was hoping for someone that does really fine work.
Thanks in advace :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are those such as Victor who does fine milgrain work but he does not do repairs. I think Singlestone is the most likely choice.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1340134292|3219489 said:
There are those such as Victor who does fine milgrain work but he does not do repairs. I think Singlestone is the most likely choice.
Thanks diamondseeker-Singlestone was my first thought, but figured I would throw the question out there since I was wondering if there might be other options as well :) It just seems so expensive to send it out to them on top of the cost of the repairs!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It will be pricey but at least you know that Ari will do an excellent job and your heirloom will be in great hands!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
stepcutnut|1340136691|3219530 said:
Thanks diamondseeker-Singlestone was my first thought, but figured I would throw the question out there since I was wondering if there might be other options as well :) It just seems so expensive to send it out to them on top of the cost of the repairs!

See if they will send you a label for the shipping. That would be the easiest way. usually costs about 40-70 bucks and it's insured by store. I don't know if Singlestone will do that, but if they will it would be the least expensive way to ship.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1340139741|3219591 said:
It will be pricey but at least you know that Ari will do an excellent job and your heirloom will be in great hands!
Very true!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1340140585|3219602 said:
stepcutnut|1340136691|3219530 said:

See if they will send you a label for the shipping. That would be the easiest way. usually costs about 40-70 bucks and it's insured by store. I don't know if Singlestone will do that, but if they will it would be the least expensive way to ship.
Good idea-I did shoot them an email, but no response yet.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
On shipping, it normally costs me $20-30 to ship USPS registered & insured mail.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When millgrain is worn away on a well worn ring, it may not be practical or proper to attempt to renew the millgrain edges. That millgrain was placed originally on rather sharp edges that now have rounded down due to wear. There may not be a sharp edge to apply this beading to and may bend the narrow wires by trying. Remember, the ring is now thinner than it was when it was new and has somewhat less strength. The light, delicate look of an old ring makes it look different than a new ring in full weight which cannot be duplicated. Some old things need to be appreciated as they are and not necessarily restored in some way which often ends up not being perfect as the metal may just not be there to do the work one wants to do.

See an expert jeweler and let them give you their best advice on what can be done and what can't be done properly.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
milton333|1340235038|3220661 said:
On shipping, it normally costs me $20-30 to ship USPS registered & insured mail.
Thanks Milton, but I have never been able to get shipping costs that low-bummer.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Oldminer|1340273976|3220889 said:
When millgrain is worn away on a well worn ring, it may not be practical or proper to attempt to renew the millgrain edges. That millgrain was placed originally on rather sharp edges that now have rounded down due to wear. There may not be a sharp edge to apply this beading to and may bend the narrow wires by trying. Remember, the ring is now thinner than it was when it was new and has somewhat less strength. The light, delicate look of an old ring makes it look different than a new ring in full weight which cannot be duplicated. Some old things need to be appreciated as they are and not necessarily restored in some way which often ends up not being perfect as the metal may just not be there to do the work one wants to do.

See an expert jeweler and let them give you their best advice on what can be done and what can't be done properly.
David-Thanks, you make a great point!

I certainly would leave the final decision of restoring the ring to an expert that has the ring in hand. If they felt that it was not doable or would not likely turn out well-I wouldn't have them continue :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results