shape
carat
color
clarity

recommendations for a jeweler in boston? also, redoing prongs/setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dietvanillacoke

Rough_Rock
hi everyone,

i''m in the boston area and i''m looking to get "a jeweler". i don''t have one (went to my aunt''s small jewelry store to resize my ring, but they don''t do much more than that, as it''s not a very serious jewelry store) and i''d like to establish one since i''m getting married soon. i''m looking to modify my setting a bit (the prongs are a bit "messy", not rounded and they don''t really match each other, and i don''t like the thickness of the setting or the side view of the basket), and also have a matching wedding ring made (to match the baguettes that are my sidestones). also, i need to purchase a wedding band for my fiance. fyi, my rings will be white gold and the fiance''s will be either platinum or titanium.

oh, the reason i''m not looking into sending it out to whiteflash or someone else is because i just can''t bear the thought of being away from my ring for more than a few days. silly, i know, but i just can''t do it!

any recommendations?

also, does anyone know the cost of modifying your setting? just re-doing prongs?

thanks!!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Diet,

Looks like you may want to get with Pete!

Best of wishes,

brandanop

Rough_Rock
Hi dietvanillacoke,

I am plannig to get a custom setting designed by Mark Morrell. (http://www.mwmjewelry.com) His work is beautiful. I recently met with appraiser Martin Haske who said something to the effect of:

The worst thing would be to set a really beautiful diamond at a mall store, etc. He said often they will just force the stone into a generic head. He said that sometimes results poor settings (bent prongs etc).

He suggested Mark Morrell becuase he said he pays very close attention to detail. He said he polishes every part of the ring, including inside of the head where dirt tends to collect.

That information, along with the pictures on Mark''s website have convinced me to use him. There are downsides however:

The cost may be a bit higher (but you get what you pay for)
It takes longer to produce custom pieces.

I''ll post again with my outcome.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results