shape
carat
color
clarity

Recipes with NO oven

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
I recently moved and don''t have an oven at the moment. I do have a range but am finding limited ideas for dinner without an oven. Anyone have any good ideas? I''m trying to stick with fairly healthy recipes. I do have a crock-pot but it''s pretty hot right now and don''t think I''d want any stew/soup type dishes.

Thanks!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
The first thing I thought was "7 Layer Dip" but then you said "healthy, so never mind that idea. You can do a lot with a roasted chicken that you can by prepared at the grocery store. It can be pulled apart and made into tacos, put on top of salad, put into quesadillas etc. and can stetch into a few meals Whole wheat pasta with red sauce can be a great meal too. Hope this helps a little.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Have you got a blender? My favorite summer recipe is gazpacho.

2 cups creamy tomato soup (cold)
8 large tomatoes (or a bunch of smaller roma or cherry tomatoes)
3 cloves garlic
1 medium red onion
1-2 large bell peppers
cilantro (handful)
vinegar (about 1/2 cup)
salt to taste
1 tbsp. olive oil

I usually blend 2/3 of the veggies to a pulp, then chop or lightly blend the remainder so that it's a little chunky. We don't like spicy stuff, but you can add chili powder or tabasco to spice it up a bit. Chill and serve, couldn't be much easier!

Laurenj915

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a microwave?

If you do then you have lots of options.
If not I would be eating sandwiches and salads

MICROWAVE CHILE
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 med. onion, chopped
1 c. chopped celery
2 cans (10 3/4 oz.) tomato soup
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, undrained
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 to 2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Combine meat, onion and celery in 3 quart casserole dish. Microwave on high 6 to 9 minutes or until meat is cooked and vegetables are tender. Drain fat and break up meat. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover. Micro on high 5 minutes. Stir. Reduce power to 50 percent. Micro uncovered 30 to 35 minutes. Stirring twice. Makes 2 quarts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORANGE GLAZED CHICKEN
2 whole chicken breasts, halved and
skinned (about out 2 pounds)
Paprika
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp. orange juice concentrate
3 tbsp. water
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. instant chicken bouillon
1 tbsp. dry white wine
1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
Parsley flakes for garnish

Arrange chicken breasts in 8 or 9 inch round microwave safe baking dish with thicker portions toward edge of dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover with waxed paper. Microwave (high) 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is tender, rotating dish once. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes. Combine orange juice concentrate, water, cornstarch, and bouillon in 1 cup microwave safe measure; blend well. Microwave (high), uncovered, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens, stirring once. Stir in wine and parsley. Transfer chicken to serving plate. Spoon glaze onto chicken. Garnish with additional parsley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHICKEN DIVAN
2 whole chicken breasts, split
2 (10 oz.) pkgs. frozen broccoli
spears
4 oz. pasteurized processed cheese
1 (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of
mushroom soup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. rosemary
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. dry sherry or chicken broth
Paprika
Place chicken breasts in 12 x 8 inch microwave-safe baking dish. Cover with waxed paper. Microwave (medium - high - 70%) 12 to 14 minutes or until tender; uncover and allow to cool. Microwave (high) broccoli in packages 8 to 9 minutes or until thawed. Drain and set aside. Remove chicken from baking dish. Remove skin and bones; cut chicken into pieces. Arrange broccoli in baking dish and top with chicken. Crumble cheese over chicken. Combine soup, salt, rosemary, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and sherry; pour over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika. Microwave (high) uncovered 8 minutes. Then microwave medium 50% 4 to 6 minutes or until heated in center.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Rice cooker? - (if you don''t have one, you can get one for $15 at target, totally worth it) make rice according to directions, substitute 1/2 of water for light coconut milk. Steam salmon (other fish works excellent) in steaming basket over rice - fish will be done when rice is - mix together low sodium soy sauce, orange juice, and chives, spoon over top every 5 mins or so. I like serving this with some wilted spinach (on range) with sesame seeds and a dash of rice vinegar. The rice cooker is also AMAZING for steaming veggies, and can work like a mini crock pot - I''ve even made applesauce in it (comes with all sorts of crazy recipes).

Mini crock pot - DH and I just had turkey tenderloins with a mango salsa on top - Cut up onions and cover bottom of pot with them. Add turkey about 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken stock/broth and 1/4 c water. Cook for 4 hours. Dice 1 mango, 2 small tomatoes, half of an onion, some cilantro, and squeeze some lime over the top. Stir and refrigerate. When turkey is done, toss the onion/chicken broth. Serve turkey warm with cold mango salsa on top. I can''t remember what I did as a side - maybe some mexican rice? A salad would be great, too, esp with a honey/lime vinagrette.

Right now we''re really not using our oven at all - LOTS of grilling. We had dry rub BBQ chicken last night with a chopped fruit salad, tonight we''re having tuna kbobs, we''ve been eating a TON of turkey burgers (I put garlic, cilantro or basil, and red onion in mine - doesn''t need anything else and packs so much flavor) - we also wrap up fish in tin foil and grill it which is AMAZING since it will cook in its juices/marinade.

Another yummy summer meal that can be done entirely on the stovetop is tacos...lean turkey instead of beef, whole wheat tortillas, and then lettuce, tomato, avacado, etc. I''m a huge fan of fat-free plain yogurt instead of sour cream.

Last week, I made shrimp scampi over linguine - 1 tbs margarine, 1 tbs olive oil, 5 leaves basil, 1 tomato chopped, 2 cloves garlic minced, and about 1/4 c chopped green onion, threw in about a cup and - 1 c 1/2 of frozen, cooked baby shrimp. Sauteed everything until it was hot (not even 5 mins) and then served it over linguine. It wasn''t insanely healthy for sure (cholesterol in shrimp, calories/fat in the oil butter, carbs...) but not all that bad for a shrimp/pasta dish.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
You can make all kinds of healthy pasta dishes. Try whole wheat or other healthy pasta, some kind of tasty cheese that is low in fat (low fat feta and goat cheese are both tasty), lots of crispy veggies (stir-fry lightly in a tiny bit of olive oil with some garlic and a bit of salt), and you can add extra protein like simple sauteed chicken or shrimp if you like (I don''t because I''m a vegetarian).

A simple but popular (in our house) combination: whole wheat pasta, low fat feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, chopped olives, oregano, and broccoli and/or zucchini. Yum
18.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, you can make a lot of things on a stove top that you made in the oven.

Get a deep covered pan: you can then use it to make anything you made in a roasting pan such as roast beef with vegies by turning the burner on a fairly low heat.

With the right pan (say a cast iron deep pan with lid) you could even do minor baking by placing a cake pan on a few rocks. You have to play with the heat to get the right temp - but I''ve done it.

Perry

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Also, an electric griddle or skillet can enable you to cook just about any meat (except roast).

And, a toaster oven can cook just about anything, including ham or roast. In fact, my mom usually uses her toaster oven all summer since they don''t have air conditioning.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the ideas and recipes! Sorry I haven''t responded sooner but we were away for a week and I''m just not online that often these days.
Kimberly, great idea about the chicken. I had done that before when not wanting to cook but forgot all about it lately.
Selkie, I do have a blender so I''ll have to try your recipe. I''ve never tried gazpacho before.
Lauren, yes, I do have a microwave! The chili sounds good. I made Sloppy Joe''s last night and hadn''t thought of doing a chili. I never really thought of all-out cooking in the microwave but the chicken recipes make me want to try it!
Elmorton, no rice cooker but I have thought about getting one, partially for its steaming abilities. The turkey tenderloins w/mango salsa sounds great! I''m going to try that one for sure. Thanks for the other suggestions too.
Amber, thanks for the pasta ideas. I am a huge pasta fan but have never used feta or goat cheese. That combo. sounds great!
Perry, thanks! I''ll have to try out some things b/c I do have a deep pan (I think).
Somethingshiny, I really want a griddle! It seems so useful. It''s on my list. I had a toaster oven but ended up selling it before the move; I really found it very useful and easy. That''s on the list too!
Skippy, thanks for the congrats! I am looking fwd to reading over those recipes. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks again everyone, I have some great ideas now and am looking fwd to trying them! You guys are a very resourceful bunch!!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Chopped raw mushrooms, chopped green onions, shredded swiss cheese all marinated in a balsamic dressing is one of my favorite summer salads!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Veggie skewers and rice: chop up whatever veggies you like: (peppers; green, red, yellow, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, etc.),skewer them, spray ''em with EVOO, salt and pepper the heck out of ''em, grill them, and meanwhile cook some rice of your choice and voila! a meal that suits most everyone in your life!

2.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks OUpeargirl and Monarch! We did bbq the other day which turned out pretty good. I love making skewers on the grill and also like to grill fruit too.
So far, I haven''t made too much but I did make Shrimp Fried Rice, which I''d never done before. It turned out great and was a great way to add veggies w/o my son objecting! He didn''t pick out anything. I''m hoping to be more creative this week and try some of the ideas on here. Actually, I better make my grocery list now so I don''t forget!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results