shape
carat
color
clarity

Recent Happenings at Crater of the Diamonds.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many longtime PS’ers probably remember Crater of the Diamonds State Park from the Esperanza news, and White Wave’s reports on her trips there. Here’s a recent overview for those who aren’t familiar with this unique Arkansas state park and it’s unusual premise - you can hunt for the diamonds that occur there naturally, snd if you find one, you get to keep it!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two finds that made the news last year - one for its size and one for its color:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
very cool. i wonder if he will have it cut or do a diamonds in the rough type of ring. hope he is back in the news with the finished product in a few months ;-)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very cool. i wonder if he will have it cut or do a diamonds in the rough type of ring. hope he is back in the news with the finished product in a few months ;-)

I wonder if he has a bride in mind... the story didn’t say!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The next PS GTG should be here, how cool would that be?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that does it! Adding this to my list of stops on my road trip!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, like 25 people sent me the press release, and I’m like, “how wonderful for them” lol.

ive been itching to go back and I think my knees are healed enough to go soon.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much does it cost to cut a diamond?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, like 25 people sent me the press release, and I’m like, “how wonderful for them” lol.

ive been itching to go back and I think my knees are healed enough to go soon.

Any advice for those of us who haven't been before? Where/how to look, what to wear to be comfortable, etc?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any advice for those of us who haven't been before? Where/how to look, what to wear to be comfortable, etc?
It depends if it’s raining or dry. If raining, (and I do enjoy going in the cold rain), then you want frog togs pants and jacket. Rubber boots (which one got sucked into the clay once lol. I thought I might have to leave it there)… or old good hiking boots.

you want to dress in layers because it’s hard backbreaking work and you‘ll get hot. However, it seems most of the larger finds are surface finds, so that is certainly an option.

i personally like to stay around canary hill because that is where they yellow diamonds are and there is a purple amethist (sp?.) vein there too.

if you search, you might find my posts about it. I have pics. Bring a lunch. Murfreesboro is a cute town.. I stay at yellow diamond inn or queen of diamonds hotel. There are air BNBs and a bed and breakfast. Avoid the shamrock at all costs. its also close to a lake so if you bring hubs, he can fish if he doesn’t want to diamond hunt. There is an RV park attached to the crater, so if you RV then that is perfect.

all in all, it’s a very enjoyable trip.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my hubby and I are in the parking lot at COTDSP now - ready to start searching for our own souvenir!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my hubby and I are in the parking lot at COTDSP now - ready to start searching for our own souvenir!

Good luck and happy hunting!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So… we didn’t find any diamonds - LOL! I did find a large clump of dirt/mud that had a delicate layer of calcite crystals, something I had never seen before “in the wild”. And I had a good time.

My hubby scratched around in the dirt for awhile before declaring, “This is like fishing… and I don’t like fishing,” and going off to explore some trails. After lunch, though he read aloud from the book we’ve been reading while I scratched.

As we were leaving Murfreesboro we stopped in a gallery where I found a lovely disk of tourmalated quartz that’s now being made into a pendant for me. And they had a CZ replica of the Esperanza Diamond, so I sort of got to see that too!

All in all, a very nice day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results