shape
carat
color
clarity

Really frustrated with my jeweler

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone--

So, I just purchased a 2.0 Radiant. I love the stone. However, I don''t like how the diamond "presents", as in it seems like the diamond is too enveloped in metal. I have a basket setting mounting head. So, I take it back to my jeweler. Its a very well known and reputable jeweler, they totally stand behind their work. However, they take on the approach that they like to do certain things and not deviate from what they "like" to do. I want my radiant mounted in a simple 4 prong, not a basket setting. My jeweler refuses to do it. Tells me that the diamond will be loose in less than a month. Then the customer service lady tells me the jeweler hates to do the standard prongs and complains the whole time he works on them. Sooooo, I am wondering if what they tell me is accurate. Can I really not do a tiffany style 4 prong with this diamond? Will it really be that unstable? Or is the jeweler crying chicken little the sky is falling? My ring is currently at the jeweler to try and make the metal basket a little less obvious. I have a sick feeling I am not going to like what they are doing to it. Please give me your advice. I have to be at the jewelers tomorrow @ 3pm and if I don''t like it, I really don''t want to take it with me and go back again. Just to be clear----I like my SETTING, just changing mounting heads. Thanks for your help.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert, but I have a 2 ct cushion in a 4-prong tiffany-style head. My ring was made by an ouststanding jeweler, and I can''t imagine he would have set it if it was going to be a problem.

Several PSers have larger stones set in 4-prong heads--I''d find a reputable jeweler and take the ring elsewhere, if only for a second opinion.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
THANK YOU!!!! Haven, thats what I have been waiting to hear. I think I am being fed a line of BS. I see 4 prongs with no basket all the time with bigger stones than I have and they have no problem. Like you said--your jeweler is top notch and would not compromise your diamond. Mine told me that it "was on me" if I did the 4 prong standard with no basket head. Thank you so much for your response. I know I am not crazy here now!!

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
I personally wouldn''t go 4 prong on an expensive stone, but thats just me. Not sure if their approach is impacted by their policy. Do they insure the ring as well? If they did, it would make perfect sense for them to refuse a four prong mount on the grounds that this is the most likely setting to result in the loss of a stone. If not, then I couldn''t see why they would make a fuss.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you show us a picture? I really love basket heads if done well (such as Leon Mege''s classic solitaire setting).

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
First--no, the diamond is not insured through the jeweler. I have a separate personal articles policy on it. They just guarantee the metal work. I am trying to post pics. I don''t know if I have any of the basket part. Since the ring is at the jeweler and not on my finger, I will post pics when I get it back tomorrow. I will try to post the face up pic of it.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
I have had similar questions in the past and gotten varying opinions from different jewelers and shop owners. Some have said placing non-round diamonds in a tiffany head can be dangerous, some say it''s just "tricky", and some feel there''s no problem at all. Apparently it''s something of a subjective issue out there.

I''ve personally seen asschers and radiants set into 4 prong tiffany settings without having the customer come back shortly and say the stone had become loose, but when presented to the jeweler/setter i know it''s done with a sense of extra wariness as to the risk involved if not set perfectly accurately.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
hrmmm have you thought about a Tiffany Lucinda Setting? (vatche does a replica though I have not tried it on) but the tiffany''s one is a four prong it does come up around the sides but looks SOOO good on squarish/rectangle stones. Not sure if thats what your after but it is a fairly simple looking design to me :) and I love simple

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results