shape
carat
color
clarity

re the power of stones...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember a while ago we had a topic about energy of stones and I was very skeptical? This is a passage from "Shulamith", a re-tell of "Song of songs" by a certain writer. The writer was interested in mysticism and very well-read.
In this passage, Solomon tells Shulamith about the properties of different stones as he adorns her with them. I let off most of the text.

(Ruby) is the holy stone of Ophir. It is the stone of love, anger and blood. On the hand of a person who has a fever or lust, it becomes hotter and burns with red fire. If you grind it in powder and drink with water, it makes face blush, quenches stomach pains and makes soul happy. It heals the heart, the brain and the memory. One should not wear it in presence of children, though, because it evokes passion.

Sapphire is the stone of virginity. They use to put it into mouths during long travels to quench thirst. It also heals leprosy and all malignant growths. It gives clarity to thoughts. Roman priests wear it on index fingers.

Shamir (i.e. diamond - C) is the king of all gems. Greeks call it Adamas which means unconquerable. It shines in the darkness of the night but even at daytime it loses its shine on the hand of an assassin. Shamir is bandaged to the hand of a woman who is in difficult labor. Warriors going into battle wear it on their left hands. The wearer of Shamir is liked by kings and unafraid of evil ghosts. It clears the face, the breath, calms sleep of lunatics and gets wet if it is close to poison. These stones are male and female, when buried deep in earth, they can multiply.

Moonstone is the stone of Chaldean and Babylonian Magi. Before issuing oracles they put it under their tongues and it renders them capable of foreseeing the future. In the nights of the New Moon it gets cold and shines brighter. It helps a girl when she matures.

Smaragd (Emerald) is the favorite stone of Solomon. If you look at it for a long time, your mind gets brighter, if you look at it in the morning, the whole day will be easy for you. It chases away bad dreams and evil thoughts, treats palpitations. Snakes and scorpions won''t approach the wearer of emerald. Ground emerald mixed with hot camel milk is given to a poisoned person. Mixed with rose oil, it alleviates bites of poisonous insects. Mixed with saffron and applied on eyes, it heals chicken blindness (vitamin A deficiency - C). It helps bloody diarrhea and black cough (pneumonia? lung plague? pulmonary abscess? - C).

There are more but I have no time to go further today. I thought it was funny. I shall continue later - in case someone wants help during hunting, drinking and earthquakes...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. Is it amethyst that prevents drunkenness?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crasru,
This is funny. Please post more when you get the chance.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have my doubts about the procedure for using Ruby''s power. I think that grinding my ruby to a powder and drinking it with water is less likely to make my soul happy than having my ruby whole, and uh, applying it topically.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...Libyan amethysts resembling violets blossoming at the foot of Libyan Mountains...they have a magical ability to quiet the wind, control evil mood, prevent drunkenness and help in hunting. Turquoise from Persepolis... which brings happiness in love, helps spouses to stop quarreling, protects from king's anger and helps in taming and selling horses.

Catseye - keeper of its owner's property, sanity and health.

Pale, light-green like seawater, berillium - helps against blindness and leprosy, a good companion to travellers.

Multicolor agate - those wearing it are not afraid of evil enemies and will not be crushed during earthquake.

Nephrite, renal stone, protecting from thunderbolt.

Apple-green, opaque-transparent onyxium (onyx?) - protects its owner from fire and madness.

Jaspis (likely, jasper) - makes animals shiver

Black swallow stone - helps orators

Yellow-green chrysolith - a fellow to merchants and thieves

Also - totally unclear - a stone Mnadis-Fza is mentioned. It is not beautiful but is extremely expensive because only four people on earth have it. It has a unique property of attracting ("pulling") silver, like a greedy person.
Solomon gave this stone to Shulamith because she was not avaricious.

(I wonder if it is magnetite? Some stone with strong magnetic properties? At the same time, silver is not ferromagnetic...)

From another story by the same author. Demantoid, worn by a woman gives her ability to see the future and chases away bad thoughts. It protects a male wearer from forceful death.

I think it is all so far...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 6:44:16 PM
Author: VapidLapid
I have my doubts about the procedure for using Ruby's power. I think that grinding my ruby to a powder and drinking it with water is less likely to make my soul happy than having my ruby whole, and uh, applying it topically.

"applied topically", LOL!!!!! I laughed out loud at that one.

As far as "energy", I occasionally see stones that seem to be "alive", they have a certain quality to them that I can't explain. I see it the most often in rubies . . .

I don't think they can "cure" me or whatever, but some of them, to me, seem to have a weird vibe. . .

Anybody else have these crazy thoughts, or am I the only one afflicted?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is quite funny. So in the midst of quarrel with my husband, I should dart to my jewelry box, pull out a turquoise ring and put it on my finger...what if it doesn''t fit, though? I have gained weight...

However - I always wear my ruby. All cultures ascribe very potent qualities to it - so I guess it is superstition, but...

It helps to have a huge collection, though - so when you plan to meet your boss, you''ll wear something "protecting you from king''s anger". And if you are selling something on ebay, wear chrysoberyl (remember TL!).

Also, interesting thing about aquamarine which is sea-green and helps cure blindness. It is a specific kind of blindness, caused by glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure). In Italy, there is a name Glauco (actually, of Greek origin - "Glaucos"). It means "blue-grey" or "sea-gray". "Glaucoma" has the same derivative. I can not quite understand the connection but it surely has something behind it...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results